Theatrical film poster
|Directed by||Queen Muhammad Ali|
Ronald Sims (co-producer)
Steve Powell (co-producer), Sylvester Mcgill (Associate Producer)
|Written by||Queen Muhammad Ali|
|Music by||Jorge Mendez|
Jahsua (Hook Man)
|Edited by||Queen Muhammad Ali|
Bars4Justice (also #Bars4Justice) is a 2015 American short documentary film directed by Queen Muhammad Ali and Hakeem Khaaliq. The film was recorded in Ferguson, Missouri during the first anniversary of the shooting of Michael Brown August 9–10, 2015. The film is an official selection of several festivals in the United States including winner of Best Short documentary at the 24th annual Pan African Film Festival in Los Angeles, Glasgow Short Film Festival in Scotland, Tirana International Film Festival (DOCUTIFF) in Albania, and The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in midtown Manhattan NY.
A hip hop activist gives more than his talent when he comes face to face with the justice system in Ferguson, Missouri.
- Common – Himself
- Talib Kweli – Himself
- Cornel West – Himself
- Jasiri Smith aka Jasiri X – Himself
- Renita Lamkin – Herself
- Rahiel Tesfamariam – Herself
- Rabbi Susan Talve – herself
In order of appearance
- Jasiri X
- Talib Kweli
- Tory Russell (Hands up United)
- Kayla Reed (Organization for Black struggle)
- Kendra Ross
- The Ferguson Poet
- Cornel West
- Bree Newsome
- Immortal Technique
- Tef Poe
- Darren Seals
- Pharaoh Monch
- Bun B (UGK)
- M1 (Dead Prez)
- Family of Mike Brown
- Rev. Renita Lamkin
- Rev. Osagyefo Uhuru Sekou
- Rev Traci Blackmon
- Rahiel Tesfamariam (Urban Cusp)
- Rabbi Susan Talve (Central Reform Congregation)
- Rev Michael McBride
- Davey D
- Rosa Clamente
- Deray Mckesson (We The Protesters)
- Col. Andre Anderson, Interim Chief of Police Ferguson
- Quadir Lateef (Ending credits)
|Award||Date||Category||Recipients and nominees||Result|
|24th Annual Pan African Film Festival(PAFF) Los Angeles, CA||February 14th, 2016||Best Short Documentary||Queen Muhammad Ali & Hakeem Khaaliq||Won|
|1st Annual Uptown Short Film Festival (USFF) Harlem, NY||May 15th, 2016||Best Short Film (Audience Choice Award)||Queen Muhammad Ali & Hakeem Khaaliq||Won|
|Documentary Tirana International Film Festival (DocuTIFF) Tirana, Albania||June, 1–8, 2016||Best Short Film Competition (Special Mention)||Queen Muhammad Ali & Hakeem Khaaliq||Nominated|
|Milwaukee Film Festival ()||September 22nd – October 6th 2016||Short Film||Queen Muhammad Ali & Hakeem Khaaliq||Nominated|
|Mutianyu China ()||September 1st – September 21st 2016||International Artist Fellowship and Residency Award||Queen Muhammad Ali & Hakeem Khaaliq||Won|
|MOMA (The Museum of Modern Art, NYC) ()||February 17 – 18 2017||Doc Fortnight 2017: MoMA’s International Festival of Nonfiction Film and Media||Queen Muhammad Ali & Hakeem Khaaliq||Selected|
|Glasgow Short Film Festival, Glasgow, Scotland ()||March 17 2018||GSFF18: the largest competitive short film festival in Scotland||Queen Muhammad Ali & Hakeem Khaaliq||Special Screening|
- "Ernest Thomas (what's happening, everybody hates chris, Malcolm X) rep'n at #Bars4justice screening in#LA". www.instagram.com. Retrieved 2016-03-07.
- "Black African Coalition brings award-winning documentary, #Bars4Justice, to ASU". www.statepress.com. Retrieved 2016-03-07.
- Ali, Queen Muhammad; Khaaliq, Hakeem (2015-10-01), #bars4Justice, retrieved 2016-03-08
- Weekly, L.A. "21 Best Things to Do in L.A. This Week, "#Bars4Justice, a documentary about tragedy striking a second time in Ferguson, Missouri"". L.A. Weekly. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "Local Film Festival continues Into The Weekend, "#Bars4Justice" tells the story of Hip Hop activist rapper Jasiri X goes to Ferguson to perform at a benefit concert to mark the year anniversary of Mike Brown's Death. During the concert guests are shocked to hear that yet another black teen had been shot by Ferguson police around the corner from where Mike Brown was killed. Stars: Common, Rosa Clemente, Talib Kweli, Renita Lamkin, Cornel West, Jasiri Smith (AKA JasiriX)."". Los Angeles Sentinel. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "Saturday "Gayle on the Go!", Saturday, "#Bars4Justice" starring Social activist and author Dr. Cornel West and Hip Hop artist Common. This about the tension in Ferguson, Missouri following the shooting of Mike Brown". KTLA. Retrieved 2016-03-08.
- "#Bars4Justice, Seeking Justice Shorts Series, Documentary Short". www.paff.org. Retrieved 2016-04-22.
- "Official 2016 Selections". uptownshortfilmfest.com. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- "#Bars4Justice. 2015. Directed by Queen Muhammad Ali, Hakeem Khaaliq The Revolution Won't Be Televised. 2016. Directed by Rama Thiaw | MoMA". The Museum of Modern Art. Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- Weekly, Long Beach Union (2017-02-08). "Dreams Revived – Union Weekly". Medium. Retrieved 2017-02-10.