Beecher Metropolitan District
|Census-designated place (CDP) & Unincorporated community|
Location of Beecher within Genesee County, Michigan
|• Type||Water & sewer district|
|• Total||5.9 sq mi (15.3 km2)|
|• Land||5.9 sq mi (15.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||801 ft (244 m)|
|• Density||2,159.8/sq mi (834.4/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP code||48458 (Mount Morris)
|GNIS feature ID||1616987|
Beecher (or unofficially, Beecher Metropolitan District ) is an unincorporated community in Genesee County in the U.S. state of Michigan. It is a census-designated place (CDP) for statistical purposes and has no legal status as a municipality. The population was 12,793 at the 2000 census.
The CDP area is situated on the east side of Mount Morris Township where Interstate 475 turns westward between the cities of Flint and Mount Morris. A small portion is also in the southwest corner of Genesee Township.
The name "Beecher" is used for a number of institutions covering some part of the census-designated place: Beecher Community School District, Beecher Fire Department and Beecher Metropolitan Water and Sewer District.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 5.9 square miles (15 km2), all land. The southern part of the CDP is served by the Flint ZIP codes of 48504 and 48505. The northern portion is served by the Mount Morris ZIP code 48458.
As of the census of 2000, there were 12,793 people, 4,476 households, and 3,280 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 2,159.8 per square mile (834.4/km²). There were 5,002 housing units at an average density of 844.5 per square mile (326.2/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 65.90% White, 28.01% Black or African American, 0.59% Native American, 0.08% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 1.92% from other races, and 3.41% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.96% of the population.
There were 4,476 households out of which 39.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 32.6% were married couples living together, 33.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.7% were non-families. 22.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.85 and the average family size was 3.27.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 34.3% under the age of 18, 9.8% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 19.6% from 45 to 64, and 9.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 29 years. For every 100 females there were 88.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 81.0 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $25,925, and the median income for a family was $26,500. Males had a median income of $29,150 versus $21,870 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $13,484. About 25.0% of families and 30.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 45.0% of those under age 18 and 9.3% of those age 65 or over.Due to the high school's mascot, the Buccaneers,The area is also known as Buc-town.
At about 8:30 pm, on Monday evening, June 8, 1953, a tornado touched down near the intersection of W. Coldwater and North Linden roads, just north of Flint. Before the storm left Genesee County, 116 people died in the Beecher district. A track of destruction 0.5 miles (800 m) wide was left.
Most people living in the area were at home with the children in bed. By the time people heard the storm's roar their houses were being torn apart.
The slow moving tornado wrecked 340 houses, severely damaged many others and injured 844 persons. The major damage was concentrated between Clio Road & N. Dort Hwy. This area contained mostly small homes with some businesses and a high school.It is ranked the 10th deadliest tornado in U. S. history, being displaced from 9th position in spring 2011 by the Joplin, Missouri tornado.
Beecher Fire Department
|Fire chief||Steve Richardson|
(administrative Township Fire Chief)
|Facilities and equipment|
The former Beecher Fire Department (now known as Mt. Morris Township Fire Station 3) is one of three stations in Mount Morris Township, Michigan. The station serves the Beecher area (5 square miles (13 km2) and population of 21000) within the Township.
The Department was founded in 1948 and operated independently of the other two stations until recently.[specify]
Beecher Metropolitan Water and Sewer District
|Headquarters||1057 Louis Ave
Flint, Michigan 48505-1228
The Beecher Metropolitan Water and Sewer District is a special district for water and sewer serving generally the same area as the Beecher Community School District with 4,500 homes. A District board of five elected members oversees operation.
The District's source of water is underground wells.
Heavy rains in April 2009 led to the District reporting 5,000 gallons spilling into the Hughes Drain, which drains into the Flint River.
In August 2009, all members of the board were discovered to have taken a 19-day, $36,000 trip to San Diego, California, for a four-day American Water Works Association conference. After the nonrenewal of the Administrator Richard Wurtz's contract, recall language was submitted to recall three of the five Board members: Leo McClain, Sheila Thorn and Jackie Corlew. The Genesee County Election Commission approved the language that included the reasons of misusing District funds and "for causing embarrassment to Beecher area residents".
- Carl Banks, linebacker for the New York Giants, Washington Redskins, and Cleveland Browns; graduate of Beecher High School
- Courtney Hawkins, wide receiver for Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and Pittsburgh Steelers; graduated high school in Beecher
- Carol Yager, among the most severely obese people in history
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Beecher, Michigan
- Beecher Metropolitan District official site
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Beecher Census Designated Place
- Beecher CDP, Michigan - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 48504 5-Digit ZCTA, 485 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 48505 5-Digit ZCTA, 485 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 48458 5-Digit ZCTA, 484 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- Harris, David (October 12, 2009). "Mt. Morris Township, suspended firefighter Ken Sadler to go into mediation". Flint Journal (Flint, Michigan: Booth Newspapers). Archived from the original on 12 December 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-17.
- Office of the State Fire Marshal. "Michigan Fire Directory: Genesee County". Michigan.gov. State of Michigan. Retrieved 2009-11-16.
- Fonger, Ron (2009-08-16). "Well traveled: Water, sewer board members take $36,000 trip to California, courtesy of Beecher residents". Flint Journal (Booth Newspapers). Retrieved 20 August 2009.
- Fonger, Ron (2009-04-29). "Steady rains result in sewage overflows". Flint Journal (Booth Newspapers). Retrieved 20 August 2009.
- Fonger, Ron (December 24, 2009). "Recall language approved for Beecher water and sewer board members". Flint Journal (Booth Newspapers). Retrieved 2009-12-30.
- Woodyard, Eric (September 27, 2012). "Past Beecher experiences shape former NFL player Carl Banks into successful businessman". MLive Media Group. Retrieved 10 August 2014.