Genesee Township, Michigan
|Charter Township of Genesee
Genesee Charter Township
|• Supervisor||Steve Fuhr|
|• Clerk||Wayne Bates|
|• Treasurer||Todd Sorensen|
|• Trustee||Thomas Jean|
|• Trustee||Richard Burrus|
|• Total||30.4 sq mi (78.7 km2)|
|• Land||29.4 sq mi (76.1 km2)|
|• Water||1.0 sq mi (2.6 km2) 3.26%|
|Elevation||735 ft (224 m)|
|• Density||820.8/sq mi (316.9/km2)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP code||48437 (Genesee)
|GNIS feature ID||1626342|
- Beecher is an unincorporated community in Mount Morris Township lying between the cities of Mount Morris and Flint. There is also a census-designated place with the same name defined for statistical purposes that covers the approximate area of the community. A portion of the CDP also lies within Genesee Township.
- Cold Water was an unincorporated community founded in 1833 by teetotalers. It was the location of the township's first school, formed in 1835.
- Genesee (formerly Geneseeville) is an unincorporated community within the township at Genesee and Stanley Rds., just north of Mott Lake. It has its own school district and a post office with the ZIP code 48437. It is most known as the home of Crossroads Village and the Huckleberry Railroad.
- Large portions of the township are considered to be a part of the Flint urban area.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 30.4 square miles (79 km2), of which 29.4 square miles (76 km2) is land and 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2) (3.26%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 24,125 people, 9,203 households, and 6,616 families residing in the township. The population density was 820.8 per square mile (316.9/km²). There were 9,936 housing units at an average density of 338.0 per square mile (130.5/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 87.90% White, 8.18% African American, 0.67% Native American, 0.30% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.82% from other races, and 2.12% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.70% of the population.
There were 9,203 households out of which 35.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.2% were married couples living together, 15.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.1% were non-families. 23.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.62 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the township the population was spread out with 27.8% under the age of 18, 8.2% from 18 to 24, 29.6% from 25 to 44, 21.5% from 45 to 64, and 12.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 95.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $39,440, and the median income for a family was $45,759. Males had a median income of $43,012 versus $23,553 for females. The per capita income for the township was $18,306. About 10.1% of families and 12.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.6% of those under age 18 and 6.5% of those age 65 or over.
The Everett A. Cummings Center is an indoor/outdoor convention center and fairgrounds. It was built in 1968 as the permanent home of the Genesee County Fair, held every year at the complex. There are several buildings in the complex, including a 30,000-square-foot (3,000 m2) arena seating 3,000 in bleachers and a 96-foot (29 m)-by-300-foot (28,800-square-foot) exhibit building, along with an outdoor grandstand and an indoor arena. It is part of the Genesee County Parks and Recreation system. In addition to the Genesee County Fair, it is also used for equestrian and athletic events, trade shows, and other special events.
- Interstate 475 runs north and south through the southwestern part of the township.
- M-54 (Dort Highway) runs north and south through the western part of the township.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Genesee Township, Michigan
- Romig 1986, p. 125.