James with the Mavericks
February 7, 1985 |
|Listed height||6 ft 10 in (2.08 m)|
|Listed weight||240 lb (109 kg)|
|High school||Windsor Forest
|NBA draft||2012 / Round: 2 / Pick: 33rd overall|
|Selected by the Cleveland Cavaliers|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at NBA.com|
|Stats at Basketball-Reference.com|
Bernard Ronald James (born February 7, 1985) is an American professional basketball player who last played for Limoges CSP of the LNB Pro A. He played college basketball for Florida State University. He is also the oldest player ever to be drafted in the National Basketball Association (NBA) at 27 years and 148 days old.
...the most unconventional of high school dropouts, a kid who grew disenchanted with the social hierarchy of school yet would head to Barnes & Noble to read on the days that he cut.
After dropping out, he earned his GED, and shortly afterwards enlisted in the United States Air Force while still 17. He served six years in the Air Force as a security forces specialist, attaining the rank of Staff Sergeant. He was assigned to the 9th Security Forces Squadron at Beale Air Force Base and deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom to Iraq, Qatar, and Afghanistan.
He initially planned to have a career in the military, but was drafted onto an intramural basketball team at his base. During this time, he underwent a late growth spurt of 5 inches (13 cm), and soon rose through the ranks of military basketball to the Air Force's all-star team. This in turn led him to pursue basketball as a potential career path; when his enlistment term expired, he left the Air Force and enrolled at Tallahassee Community College so that he could eventually fully qualify for NCAA Division I.
James was selected with 33rd overall pick by the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2012 NBA draft. He was later traded to the Dallas Mavericks in a draft night trade that included the 24th overall pick Jared Cunningham and the 34th overall pick Jae Crowder. The Cavaliers received guard Kelenna Azubuike and the 17th overall pick Tyler Zeller.
On September 3, 2014, James re-signed with the Mavericks. However, he was later waived by the Mavericks on October 25, 2014. On November 3, 2014, he was acquired by the Texas Legends as an affiliate player. After playing in the Legends' first two games of the season, he left the team in order to sign in China. On November 21, 2014, he signed with the Shanghai Sharks for the 2014–15 CBA season.
On February 11, 2015, James signed a 10-day contract with the Dallas Mavericks, returning to the franchise for a second stint. He signed a second 10-day contract with the Mavericks on February 21, and for the rest of the season on March 3.
On July 31, 2015, James re-signed with the Shanghai Sharks for the 2015–16 CBA season. On March 12, 2016, he signed with Galatasaray of Turkey for the rest of the 2015–16 Turkish Basketball Super League season. In early May 2016, he left Galatasaray.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- O'Neil, Dane (March 2012). "Most Courageous honors go to Summitt, Florida State's James". The Tipoff. United States Basketball Writers Association. Retrieved February 23, 2015.
- Beltran, Jess Matthew. "Bernard James: The 27-Year-Old Rookie". BleacherReport.com.
- Beale Airman turned NBA pro Archived April 20, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- For Florida State Center, Military Was a Steadying Influence
- Bernard James discusses path from Air Force serviceman to NBA rookie
- Mavs add Kelenna Azuibuike to trade
- Reaction: Mavs pick Bernard James, Jae Crowder
- Mavs sign second round pick Bernard James
- Center Bernard James is back with the Dallas Mavericks
- Mavericks re-sign Bernard James
- MAVERICKS ASSIGN CROWDER, JAMES AND LARKIN TO TEXAS LEGENDS
- Mavs Re-Sign Center Bernard James
- "Mavericks request waivers on Bernard James, Ivan Johnson and Doron Lamb". mavs.com. October 25, 2014. Retrieved October 25, 2014.
- Training Camp Roster Archived 2014-11-06 at the Wayback Machine.
- Bernard James to play in China
- "Shanghai Sharks land Bernard James". Sportando.com. November 21, 2014. Retrieved November 21, 2014.
- Mavericks sign Bernard James
- Mavericks sign C Bernard James to another 10-day contract
- Mavericks sign Bernard James for remainder of season
- "Former Dallas Maverick Bernard James signs with team in China". DallasNews.com. July 31, 2015. Retrieved October 11, 2015.
- "Galatasaray announces Bernard James". Sportando.com. March 12, 2016. Retrieved March 12, 2016.
- "Bernard James leaves Galatasaray". Sportando.com. May 2, 2016. Retrieved January 6, 2017.
- "Le Limoges CSP recrute l'intérieur US Bernard JAMES". limogescsp.com (in French). January 6, 2017. Retrieved January 6, 2017.
- "Information effectif". Limogescsp.com (in French). February 7, 2017. Retrieved February 7, 2017.