Bill Moseley, in January 2006.
November 11, 1951
Stamford, Connecticut, United States
William Moseley (born November 11, 1951) is an American film actor and musician who has starred in a number of cult classic horror films, including House of 1000 Corpses, Repo! The Genetic Opera and The Devil's Rejects. His first big role was in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 as Chop Top. On the HBO TV series Carnivàle Moseley had a recurring role as camp cook Possum. He has also released records with guitarist Buckethead in the band Cornbugs, as well as featuring on the guitarist's solo work.
For a period of time, Bill Moseley operated as a journalist, writing for such magazines as Omni Magazine, National Lampoon and Psychology Today. At the age of 29, Moseley got his first film role in Alan Rudolph's Endangered Species as a cab driver. In 1985's Osa he played a character named "Quilt Face." His third role has become one of his most well known; he appeared as Chop Top in Tobe Hooper's The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, after Tobe Hooper saw him in the independent short, The Texas Chainsaw Manicure. In 2000 he reprised his role as Chop Top in All American Massacre, which was directed by Tobe Hooper's son William, but the film was never released to the public.
Two years after TCM 2, he played Frank in 1988's Mamba. Also in 1988 appeared as a soldier in the remake of the Steve McQueen film The Blob. He next played Darrell in the film Pink Cadillac starring Clint Eastwood. He then played the lead role of Ricky Caldwell in Silent Night, Deadly Night 3: Better Watch Out!.
In 1990, Moseley appeared in three films: Crash and Burn, The First Power, and The End of Innocence. That year, he also portrayed Johnny in Tom Savini's remake of George A. Romero's 1968 zombie film, Night of the Living Dead. In 1993, he had a small role in the cult hit Army of Darkness as the Deadite Captain. A year later, he was featured in the video game Corpse Killer. In 1997 he did voiceover work, for the film, Anders Jacobsson's Evil Ed.
He would not, however, have a role as popular as Chop Top until 2003, when he starred as the maniacal Otis B. Driftwood (named after Groucho Marx's character from A Night at the Opera) in Rob Zombie's directorial debut House of 1000 Corpses. As Otis, he again became an icon in the horror community. In 2005, he reprised the role of Otis in the sequel The Devil's Rejects and in 2009 he played Otis in a voice cameo in Rob Zombie's animated film The Haunted World of El Superbeasto. Moseley's performance in Rejects inspired an independent campaign for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination, which failed. He played in other Rob Zombie films such as Halloween and the Grindhouse fake trailer segment Werewolf Women of the SS.
Moseley has also provided voice-over recordings for the Florida-based heavy metal band – Generichrist and also British goth-metal band Sinnergod on the track "Overture" which features on their 2013 debut album Seven Deadly Sinphonies.
Moseley (as Chop Top) was the lead singer of Cornbugs, a three-man band he had between 1999 and 2007 with avant-garde rock/metal guitarist Buckethead and Deli Creeps' drummer, Pinchface. He also contributed vocal parts to the songs I Come in Peace (as a news reporter) and Onions Unleashed (as Onions) from Buckethead's album Giant Robot (1994) and Jowls from Buckethead's album Monsters and Robots (1999), also as Chop Top.
- Endangered Species (1982) as Cab Driver
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) as 'Chop-Top' Sawyer
- Osa (1986) as Quilt Face
- The Blob (1988) as Soldier #2 (in sewer)
- Fair Game (1988) as Frank
- Pink Cadillac (1989) as Darrell
- Silent Night, Deadly Night 3: Better Watch Out! (1989) as Ricky
- The First Power (1990) as Bartender
- Crash and Burn (1990) as Quinn
- The End of Innocence (1990) as Man on the Hill
- Night of the Living Dead (1990) as Johnnie
- White Fang (1991) as Luke
- Inside Out 2 (1992) as Dave (segment "I've Got A Crush On You")
- Honey, I Blew Up the Kid (1992) as Federal Marshal
- Army of Darkness (1992) as Deadite Captain
- Mr. Jones (1993) as Worker
- The Getaway (1994)
- Blood Run (Outside the law) (1994) as Hank
- Prehysteria 3! (1995) as Director
- Evil Ed (1996) as the voice of the killer in "Loose Limbs"
- The Convent (2000) as Officer Ray
- All American Massacre (2000 but never released to the public) as 'Chop Top' Sawyer
- Point of Origin (2002) as Task Force Officer
- Essence of Echoes (2002) as Dr. Hilcott
- Live from Baghdad (2002) as Rex
- House of 1000 Corpses (2003) as Otis B. Driftwood
- Vicious (2003) as Walace
- The Devil's Rejects (2005) as Otis B. Driftwood
- Evil Bong (2006) as Bong World Patron
- Fallen Angels (2006) as Westin
- Thr3e (2006) as Slater
- A Dead Calling (2006) as Chief Murken
- Grindhouse (2007) as Dr. Heinrich von Strasser (segment "Werewolf Women of the SS")
- Home Sick (2007) as Mr. Suitcase
- Halloween (2007) as Zach 'Z-Man' Garrett
- A Perfect Place (2008) as Eddie
- Babysitter Wanted (2008) as Chief Dinneli
- Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008) as Luigi Largo
- Alone in the Dark II (2008) as Dexter
- The Alphabet Killer (2008) as Carl Tanner
- House (2008) as Stewart
- The Devil's Tomb (2009) as Prof. Duncan
- The Haunted World of El Superbeasto (2009) as Otis Driftwood (voice)
- Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet (2009) as Graveyard Gus
- Dead Air (2009) as Logan
- The Graves (2010) as Caleb 'Cookie' Atwood
- 2001 Maniacs: Field of Screams (2010) as Mayor George W. Buckman
- Godkiller: Walk Among Us (2010) as Dr. West (voice)
- Anderson's Cross (2010) as Mr. Daniels
- The Tortured (2010) as John Kozlowski
- Exit Humanity (2011) as General Williams
- Rogue River (2012) as Jon
- Eldorado (2012) as Lemmas
- The Devil's Carnival (2012) as The Magician
- The Inflicted (2012) as Mr. O'Hara
- Dead Souls (2012) as Sheriff Depford
- Manson Girls (2012)
- Texas Chainsaw 3D (2013) as Drayton Sawyer
- Mugworth (2013)
- Disciples (2014)
- Smothered (2014)
- Night of the Living Dead: Origins 3D (2014)
- Charlie's Farm (2014) as John Wilson
- Almost Mercy (2015)
- The Art of Villainy (2015)
- The Devil's Carnival: Alleluia! (2015)
- Shed of the Dead (TBA)
- Malevolent (2016)
- Crepitus (2017)
- Uncle Grandpa (2017)
- Boar (2017) as Bruce
- Death House (2017) as Giger
- American Exorcist (2018)
- Gothic Harvest (TBA)
- 3 From Hell as Otis B. Driftwood (TBA)
- Jaworzyn, Stefan (2012). The Texas Chain Saw Massacre Companion. Titan Books. pp. 131–132. ISBN 9781781164976.
- Squires, John (2017-08-29). "Bill Moseley Played Chop Top in a 'Chainsaw 2' Sequel We May Never See". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved 2017-10-17.
- McIntyre, Gina (2013-01-04). "'Texas Chainsaw 3D': Bill Moseley reflects on a monster career". Hero Complex. Retrieved 2017-10-17.
- Squires, John (2016-11-04). "Bill Moseley Clears Up Confusion About 'Army of Darkness' Role". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved 2017-10-17.
- "Bill Moseley Is an American Exorcist". FEARnet. January 31, 2015. Retrieved 2015-01-30.
- "AFM '09: Promo Trailer for Twisted Pictures' 'The Tortured'!". BloodyDisgusting.
- "Two Tickets To 'The Devil's Carnival' Please | News Article". FEARnet. March 6, 2012. Retrieved 2013-03-19.
- "Chop Top's BBQ Home Page". Choptopsbbq.com. Retrieved 2013-03-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bill Moseley.|
- Chop Top's BBQ, Bill Moseley's official site
- Vampira: The Movie soundtrack featuring Bill Moseley
- Bill Moseley on IMDb
- Interview with Bill Moseley at Eye for Film