|Developer(s)||Marcos "Sergeant Mark IV" Abenante|
|Written in||ZDoom engine (Source port of Doom engine)|
|Platform||cross-platform (PC, Android)|
Brutal Doom is a gameplay mod for the video game Doom. Developed by the Brazilian modder Marcos Abenante, a.k.a. Sergeant_Mark_IV, it adds numerous features to the gameplay. The mod has been in development since 2010, and continues to release new updates. The most current version is v21b.
Brutal Doom adds many gameplay features, such as ragdoll physics, gibs, blood splatter, helper marines, an updated particle system, the ability to drive vehicles such as tanks, stealth kills, headshots, and a host of "Mortal Kombat-esque fatality animations." Enemy AI has been revamped, with most enemies gaining new attacks and behaviours.
The mod includes new and revamped guns, such as a flamethrower, the demonic Unmaker, assault shotguns, new rifle types, a grenade launcher and even allows the player to equip enemy weapons in the form of Revenant missiles or a Mancubus' flame cannon. Weapon behaviour is also changed, with a fully working reload system for most guns alongside weapon recoil and iron sights.
Controversy amongst the Doom community
Brutal Doom has been the subject of numerous scandals. At one point, an older version of Brutal Doom used actual photos of dead bodies for some of the animations. In 2013, it was discovered that within some of the files found in Brutal Doom version 0.17, a comment including the word "Nigger" exists. This resulted in one of the voice actors for the game removing themselves from the project.
- "Brutal Doom mod". Mod DB. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- Plunkett, Luke. "Just in Case You Thought Doom Needed to be Even More Brutal". Kotaku. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- Neltz, András. "Brutal Doom is—Surprise—Getting More Brutal". Kotaku. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- Neltz, András. "Doom's Got Some Really Sweet Ragdoll Physics. Wait, What?". Kotaku. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- Tarason, Dominic. "There's more to Brutal Doom than gore". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 2018-03-05.
- "Brutal Doom mod update adds custom fatality animations". PCGamer. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- "Brutal Doom video shows forthcoming 'gib physics' update". pcgamer. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- IGN (2013-12-10), We Play Doom With John Romero, retrieved 2017-07-21
- Plante, Chris (2014-07-21). "Watch 1993's Doom with features you'd expect in 2015's Doom". Polygon. Retrieved 2017-07-21.
- Neltz, András. "Brutal Doom Is About To Become Even More Brutal". Kotaku. Retrieved 2017-07-21.