Buffalo Township, Washington County, Pennsylvania
The Claysville S Bridge, a historic site in the township
Location of Buffalo Township in Washington County
Location of Washington County in Pennsylvania
|• Total||20.37 sq mi (52.76 km2)|
|• Land||20.36 sq mi (52.74 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.02 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||100.97/sq mi (38.99/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-4 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (EDT)|
|U.S. Decennial Census|
The Caldwell Tavern, "S" Bridge and Levi Wilson Tavern are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is home to the Mel Blount Youth Home, which was the target of intimidation and local Ku Klux Klan activity in 1989.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 20.4 square miles (53 km2), of which, 20.3 square miles (53 km2) of it is land and 0.05% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,100 people, 763 households, and 615 families residing in the township. The population density was 103.2 people per square mile (39.9/km²). There were 803 housing units at an average density of 39.5/sq mi (15.2/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.90% White, 0.14% African American, 0.10% Native American, 0.19% Asian, 0.14% from other races, and 0.52% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.33% of the population.
There were 763 households out of which 33.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.8% were married couples living together, 8.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.3% were non-families. 16.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.68 and the average family size was 2.99.
In the township the population was spread out with 22.8% under the age of 18, 7.0% from 18 to 24, 27.1% from 25 to 44, 29.0% from 45 to 64, and 14.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females, there were 93.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.7 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $44,167, and the median income for a family was $51,118. Males had a median income of $34,648 versus $21,750 for females. The per capita income for the township was $18,417. About 3.2% of families and 3.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.9% of those under age 18 and 2.5% of those age 65 or over.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 14, 2017.
- Bureau, U. S. Census. "American FactFinder - Results". factfinder.census.gov. US Census Bureau. Retrieved 17 August 2019.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- Steigerwald, Bill (September 29, 1989). "Klan Slates Rally to Protest Blount Youth Home". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.