|Branding||Global Regina (general)
Global News (newscasts)
|Channels||Digital: 11 (VHF)
Virtual: 11.1 (PSIP)
|Translators||6 CFRE-TV-2 Fort Qu'Appelle|
|First air date||September 6, 1987|
|Call letters' meaning||CF REgina|
|Former callsigns||CFRE-TV (1987–2011)|
|Former channel number(s)||Analog:
11 (VHF, 1987–2011)
|Former affiliations||Independent (1987–1997)|
|Transmitter power||17.3 kW|
CFRE-DT, VHF channel 11, is a Global owned-and-operated television station located in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. The station is owned by Corus Entertainment. CFRE's studios are located on Hoffer Drive and McDonald Street on the northeast side of Regina, and its transmitter is located near Louis Riel Trail/Highway 11, northwest of Regina.
The station has one rebroadcast transmitter, on channel 6 in Fort Qu'Appelle (CFRE-TV-2), operating at 0.01 kW in power. This station can also be seen on Access Communications and Sasktel Max channel 5. On Shaw Direct, the channel is available on 376 (Classic) or 027 (Advanced), and in high definition on channel 021 (Classic) or 521 (Advanced). There is a high definition feed offered on Access Communications digital channel 508 and Sasktel Max channel 305.
|This section needs expansion with: further information on the history of CFRE. You can help by adding to it. (September 2011)|
The station first signed on the air on September 6, 1987, under the ownership of Canwest. CFRE and its sister station in Saskatoon, CFSK, were branded as "STV", and became part of the CanWest Global System in 1990 until the Global Television Network brand was expanded to all of Canwest's stations in 1997.
CFRE-DT presently broadcasts 24½ hours of local newscasts each week (with 4½ hours on weekdays, and one hour each on Saturdays and Sundays). As of August 2015, Global News at 10 and all weekend news programming is produced out of Toronto; anchors are provided by the centralized news operation, but the broadcasts feature local reporting..
On May 31, 2011, Shaw Media announced that a new local weekday morning newscast would begin broadcasting on CFRE in late-August 2011. The morning newscast runs for three hours from 6 to 9 a.m. On August 11, 2011, it was announced that Heather Anderson would anchor the program.
In late 2011, CFRE-DT became the first television station in the Regina market to begin broadcasting its local newscasts in high definition. On August 20, 2012, CFRE expanded its half-hour 10 p.m. newscast to one hour, and changed the name of the program from Prime News to News Hour Final (it has since been renamed Global News at 10); the addition of the morning newscast and the expansion of primetime newscast is part of an expansion of local news programming on Global owned-and-operated stations across Canada as part of a benefits package that was included as a condition of the sale of the Global Television Network to Shaw Communications.
Current Local News Programs
- Global News Morning - airing from 6-9am CT on weekdays. The program is anchored by Teri Fikowski, Candace Daniel on weather/traffic and Krista Sharpe reporting local news live from the field.. National and international news stories are anchored out of Toronto with Jeff McArthur and Carolyn Mackenzie The change was made in May 2015 as part of a new news presentation strategy by Global News.
- Global News at Noon - airing from 12-12:15pm CT on weekdays exclusively online at globalnews.ca. It is anchored by Whitney Stinson with Tiffany Lizée on weather and traffic.
- Global News at 6 - airing daily from 6-6:30pm CT. On weekdays, Global News at 6 is anchored by Whitney Stinson with Tiffany Lizèe on weather and Derek Meyers on sports. On the weekends, Global News at 6 is anchored from Toronto with Angie Seth reading news and Ross Hull on weather.
- Global News at 10 - airing weekdays from 10-11pm CT and weekends from 10-10:30pm CT. On weekdays, Global News at 10 is anchored by Antony Robart and Crystal Goomansingh out of Toronto with Ross Hull or Mike Arsenault on weather and Asa Rehman on sports. Global News at 10 on weekends is also anchored from Toronto with Angie Seth reading news and Mike Arsenault on weather. Until September 2015, Global News at 10 was anchored locally out of Regina.
- Focus Saskatchewan - airing on weekends from 6:30-7pm CT, after Global News at 6. It is hosted by Blake Lough and also airs on Global Saskatoon. Focus Saskatchewan is a current-affairs and political-affairs program.
|Whitney Stinson||Anchor||Global News at 6|
|Tiffany Lizée||Weather Specialist||Global News at 6|
|Teri Fikowski||Anchor||Global News Morning|
|Candace Daniel||Weather Specialist||Global News Morning|
|Krista Sharpe||Morning Live Reporter||Global News Morning|
|Taylor Shire||Sports Anchor/Reporter||Global News at 6|
|Derek Bidwell||Sports Anchor||Global News at 6|
|David Baxter||Provincial Affairs Reporter|
|Channel||Video||Aspect||PSIP Short Name||Programming|
|11.1||1080i||16:9||CFRE-HD||Main CFRE-DT programming / Global|
On August 10, 2011, three weeks before Canadian television stations in CRTC-designated mandatory markets were slated to transition from analogue to digital broadcasts, CFRE flash cut its digital signal into operation on VHF channel 11.
- Global News Boosts Local Programming Across the Country, Broadcaster Magazine, May 30, 2012.
- "Programs | Global Regina News". Global News. Retrieved 2016-06-27.
- Staff. "Global News announces significant changes to how news is produced". Retrieved 2016-06-27.
- Global Regina Staff Personalities
- RabbitEars TV Query for CFRE
- Digital Television - Office of Consumer Affairs (OCA)