Carlton in Cleveland
|Carlton in Cleveland|
A road in Carlton
Carlton in Cleveland shown within North Yorkshire
|OS grid reference|
|– London||210 mi (340 km) SSE|
|Shire county||North Yorkshire|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
Carlton in Cleveland is a village in the Hambleton district of North Yorkshire, England, and on the edge of the North York Moors National Park. It is situated approximately 9 miles (14 km) south of Middlesbrough. The village is commonly known as Carlton, and is the only village in the civil parish of Carlton.
The population of the parish was estimated at 300 in 2013.
Carlton in Cleveland has a school, Carlton and Faceby Primary School, and a public house, the Blackwell Ox, but no longer has a post office or shop. Carlton Outdoor Education Centre within the village provides activities for children.
Carlton was first mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1086. By the 14th century it had become known as Karleton in Clyveland (Carlton in Cleveland), to distinguish the place from other places named Carlton. "Cleveland" refers to the historic region of Cleveland. The village did not form part of the county of Cleveland during its brief existence from 1974 to 1996.
In the Middle Ages it appears that Carlton was a chapelry in the parish of Rudby, but by 1611 Carlton had its own church, and was considered a separate parish. The present church, dedicated to St Botolph, was completed in 1897. It was designed by Temple Moore, and is a Grade II listed building.
- "Population Estimates". North Yorkshire County Council. 2013. Retrieved 21 April 2016. In the 2011 Census the population of the parish was included with the parishes of Great Busby and Little Busby, and not separately counted.
- "Place:Carlton". Open Domesday. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- William Page (1923). "Parishes: Carlton". Victoria County History. A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 2. pp. 232–234. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- Historic England. "Details from image database (333094)". Images of England. Retrieved 22 April 2016.
- Media related to Carlton, Hambleton at Wikimedia Commons