Center for Talented Youth
|Center for Talented Youth|
A CTY afternoon activity at LMU in Los Angeles
|School type||gifted education|
|Authority||Johns Hopkins University|
|Director||Amy Shelton (interim)|
|Age||6 to 17|
|Classes offered||Mathematics, Computer Science, Humanities, and Science|
The Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth (CTY) is a gifted education program for school-age children founded in 1979 by psychologist Julian Stanley at Johns Hopkins University. It was established as a research study into how academically advanced children learn and became the first program to identify academically talented students through above-grade-level testing and provide them with challenging learning opportunities. CTY offers summer, online, and family programs to students from around the world and has nearly 30,000 program enrollments annually. CTY is accredited for students in grades K to 12 by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
CTY published the Imagine magazine that provided educational opportunities and resources and student-written content for middle and high school students. The magazine was discontinued in June 2018.
Former CTY executive director Elaine Tuttle Hansen (2011-2018) was interviewed by National Public Radio and published on the Opinion-Editorial pages of The Chronicle of Higher Education, The New York Times, and The Baltimore Sun.
In 2006, the camp was shown in an hour-long CNN special on gifted children.
Notable CTY alumni include:
- Six of 32 American Recipients of the 2006 Rhodes Scholarship 
- Lady Gaga, musician, actress 
- Sergey Brin, co-founder of Google 
- George Hotz, hacker and founder of comma.ai
- Evanna Lynch, who portrays Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter movies, attended the Irish Centre For Talented Youth in Dublin 
- Gary Marcus, a research psychologist and the author of Kluge 
- Mark Zuckerberg, founder of Facebook and Time Person of the Year 2010 
- Terence Tao, 2006 Fields Medal recipient 
- Elissa Hallem, 2012 MacArthur Fellows Program, or Genius Grant for neurobiology 
- Jacob Lurie, 2014 MacArthur Fellows Program, or Genius Grant for mathematics 
- Dave Aitel, computer security professional 
- Ronan Farrow, journalist, lawyer, and former government advisor 
- Conner Shelton, 2018 Kansas Gubernatorial Candidate 
- Andrew Yang, 2020 Presidential Candidate 
- Marques Brownlee, YouTube Technology reviewer
- Lancaster (LAN)
- Carlisle (CAR)
- Baltimore (JHU)
- Saratoga Springs (SAR)
- Los Angeles (LOS)
- Seattle (SUN)
- Princeton (PRN)
- Haverford (HAV)
- Berkeley (BRK)
- Hong Kong (HKU)
- Dublin (DCU)
- "Accreditation Information for Schools and Parents". cty.jhu.edu. The Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth.
- "CTY Mission & History". The Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth. Retrieved 11 June 2019.
- "Imagine Magazine". The Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth. Retrieved 11 June 2019.
- "Executive Commentary". Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth. Retrieved 2019-12-03.
- Presenter: Sanjay Gupta (2006-09-17). "Genius: Quest for Extreme Brain Power". special. CNN.
- Bilger, Burkhard (2004-07-19). "Nerd Camp". ISSN 0028-792X. Retrieved 2019-12-03.
- "Press Release: Center for Talented Youth Alumni Net Top Academic Honors". 2006.
- Ramakrishnan, Meera (2009-11-19). "Hopkins alumni gather for Center for Talented Youth reunion". The Johns Hopkins News-Letter. Archived from the original on 2012-03-26.
- McGoldrick, Debbie (2009-06-23). "Lynch a Writing Star". IrishCentral.
- "Cogito Interview".[permanent dead link]
- Vozzella, Laura (2009-11-04). "Just like Mom (and Sister) didn't used to make". Baltimore Sun.[permanent dead link]
- "Terence Tao receives 2014 CTY Distinguished Alumni Award". Center for Talented Youth. Archived from the original on 2015-01-09. Retrieved 2017-10-16.
- "Studying sensory systems of fruit flies, worms a stroke of genius". UCLA Newsroom. Archived from the original on 2014-09-28.
- "Former CTY student earns MacArthur 'genius grant'". HUB Johns Hopkins University. 2014-09-19.
- Aitel, Dave (2015-11-12). "How to crush it". Dailydave (Mailing list). Archived from the original on 2017-06-21.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Ronan Farrow: 'I Was Raised With An Extraordinary Sense Of Public Service'". NPR.org. Retrieved 2018-05-24.
- "Pennsylvania teen is running for governor of Kansas". 2018-02-15.
- DeFranco, Philip. "A Conversation With... - MKBHD On The WORST Tech Launch Ever, Death Of Privacy, & More | Ep. 18 A Conversation With". Google Podcasts. Retrieved 2020-03-03.