Cox at the 2016 Wizard World Chicago
|Born||Charlie Thomas Cox
15 December 1982
London, England, UK
|Alma mater||Bristol Old Vic Theatre School|
Charlie Thomas Cox (born 15 December 1982) is an English actor best known for his roles as Matt Murdock/Daredevil in Marvel's Daredevil TV series by Netflix, Tristan Thorn in Stardust and Owen Sleater in the second and third seasons of HBO's Boardwalk Empire.
Cox, the youngest of five children, was born in London, England, and brought up in East Sussex. He is the son of Patricia C. A. "Tricia" (née Harley) and Andrew Frederick Seaforth Cox, who is a publisher. He has one brother, Toby (born 1974), and three half-siblings from his father's first marriage: Emma, Zoe and Oliver.
Cox was raised Roman Catholic and was educated at two independent schools: at Ashdown House School in the village of Forest Row in East Sussex and Sherborne School in the market town of Sherborne in Dorset. He later trained at the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School in Bristol.
Cox played the role of Tristan Thorn in the 2007 film Stardust. He was next seen in the 2008 film Stone of Destiny in which he played Ian Hamilton. He made his West End debut in Harold Pinter's The Collection at the Ambassadors Theatre in London, and in the same year played the Duke of Crowborough in the pilot episode of the ITV drama series Downton Abbey. He also appeared in Kleist's The Prince of Homburg, playing the title role, at the Donmar Warehouse in London in 2010. He played the part of St. Josemaría Escrivá in the 2011 Roland Joffé film There Be Dragons. Also in 2011, Cox signed on to play a recurring role in the second season of the Martin Scorsese-produced HBO original series Boardwalk Empire as an Irish immigrant with ties to the IRA. His character became a regular for the series' third season, which was broadcast in September 2012.
Currently, Cox portrays Matt Murdock/Daredevil in Marvel's Daredevil TV series, produced and released through Netflix. His performance was praised and given a Helen Keller Achievement Award for his role by the American Foundation for the Blind.
Cox is currently expecting his first child with his girlfriend, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Jessica Jones producer Samantha Thomas.
|2003||dot the i||Theo|
|2004||The Merchant of Venice||Lorenzo|
|2005||Things to Do Before You're 30||Danny|
|2006||The Maidens' Conspiracy||Diafebus|
|2008||Harry, Henry and the Prostitute||Harry||Short film|
|2008||Stone of Destiny||Ian Hamilton|
|2009||Big Guy||Chuck||Short film|
|2011||There Be Dragons||Josemaría Escrivá|
|2011||Nancy, Sid and Sergio||Sergio||Short film|
|2012||A Sunny Morning||Adam||Short film|
|2014||The Theory of Everything||Jonathan Hellyer Jones|
|2002||Judge John Deed||Young Vicar||Episode: "Everyone's Child"|
|2006||A for Andromeda||Dennis Bridger||Television film|
|2010||Downton Abbey||Duke of Crowborough||Episode "1.1"|
|2011||Moby Dick||Ishmael||2 episodes|
|2011–2012||Boardwalk Empire||Owen Sleater||20 episodes|
|2013||The Ordained||Tom Reilly||Pilot|
|2013||Legacy||Charles Thoroughgood||Television film|
|2015–present||Daredevil||Matt Murdock / Daredevil||Main role|
|2005||'Tis Pity She's a Whore||Giovanni||Southwark Playhouse|
|2008||The Collection||Bill||Ambassadors Theatre|
|2010||The Prince of Homburg||The Prince of Homburg||Donmar Warehouse|
|2016||Incognito||Henry Maison, Michael Wolf, Hans Albert Einstein, Ben Murphy, Freddy Myers, Greg Barraclough||Manhattan Theatre Club|
Awards and nominations
|2015||Helen Keller Achievement Awards||Honoree||Daredevil||Won|
|Online Film & Television Association Awards||Best New Titles Sequence||Won|
- Births, Marriages & Deaths Index of England & Wales, 1916–2005.; at ancestry.com
- "Charlie Cox: Star turn". The Independent. 29 January 2008.
- Hardy, Rebecca (11 October 2007). "Fantasy movie sprinkles unknown actor in Stardust". Daily Mail. Retrieved 12 October 2007.
- "Charlie Cox". The Peerage. thepeerage.com. Retrieved 27 January 2015.
- "British actors line up for film about life of Opus Dei founder". Catholic Online. 4 September 2009. Archived from the original on 28 January 2015. Retrieved 27 January 2015.
St Josemaria is played by the English actor Charlie Cox, who is a Catholic. "I've been brought up a Catholic."
- "Interview: Charlie Cox". Busted Halo.
- Shaw, Marty (1 February 2011). "Charlie Cox Joins The Boardwalk Empire". BSC. Archived from the original on 17 February 2011. Retrieved 27 January 2015.
- Andreeva, Nellie (31 January 2011). "TV Castings: Teri Polo, Darrell Hammond book pilots, Boardwalk adds a Recurring". Deadline.com. Retrieved 16 February 2011.
- "Charlie Cox to Star in 'Daredevil' TV Series for Marvel and Netflix". Variety. 27 May 2014. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Helen Keller Achievement Awards 2015". American Foundation for the Blind. Retrieved 2015-06-20.
- Sharma, Nemisha (September 7, 2016). "Charlie Cox Will Soon Become A Dad? 'Daredevil' Actor To Welcome First Child With Girlfriend Samantha Thomas". International Business Times.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Charlie Cox.|