Cheek to Cheek
"Cheek to Cheek" is a song written by Irving Berlin in 1935, for the Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers movie Top Hat (1935). In the movie, Astaire sings the song to Rogers as they dance. The song was nominated for the Best Song Academy Award for 1936, which it lost to "Lullaby of Broadway". The song spent five weeks at #1 on Your Hit Parade and was named the #1 song of 1935. Astaire's 1935 recording with the Leo Reisman Orchestra was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 2000. In 2004, Astaire's version finished at No. 15 on AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of top tunes in American cinema.
- Fred Astaire (1935 No. 1 hit)
- Eddy Duchin - a No. 2 hit in 1935
- Guy Lombardo - also reached No. 2 in 1935
- Phil Ohman charted in 1935
- Ray Ventura recorded an instrumental version on 17 October 1935, under the french title Joue à joue (Pathé PA 728)
- The Boswell Sisters - charted in 1935.
- Adam Aston recorded in 1936, under the polish title W siódmym niebie (Syrena-Electro kat: 8614, mx: 26970)
- Bing Crosby - included in his album Bing Sings Whilst Bregman Swings (1956)
- Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald on the album Ella and Louis (1956)
- Roy Hamilton on the album With All My Love, arranged by Neal Hefti (1958)
- Jula de Palma on the album Jula in Jazz (Columbia, SEMQ 149), featuring the Franco Cerri Trio (1959)
- Shirley Jones and Jack Cassidy on the album With Love From Hollywood (1959)
- Frank Sinatra on the album Come Dance with Me! (1959)
- Chet Atkins on the album Solo Flights (1968)
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, on the album The Penthouse Tapes (1976)
- Taco on the album After Eight (1982)
- Matthew Morrison (as Will Schuester) and Jane Lynch (as Sue Sylvester) in the seventh episode (titled "Puppet Master") of the fifth season of Glee (2013)
- Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga on the album Cheek to Cheek (2014)
- Andrea Bocelli and his wife Veronica Berti on the album Cinema (2015)
- Alex Mendham & His Orchestra on the album On With The Show (2017)
- Angelina Jordan on her album It’s Magic (2018)
- Irving Berlin Collection description from the Library of Congress's online Performing Arts Encyclopedia; retrieved 2012-03-07.
- "Cheek to Cheek" by Fred Astaire, 1935; from the University of Virginia's American Studies website, subsection "Manufacturing Memory: 1935-1939"; retrieved 2012-03-07.
- The 8th Academy Awards (1936) Nominees and Winners, from the website of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Science (www.oscar.org); retrieved 2012-03-07.
- Grammy Hall of Fame page from www.grammy.org; retrieved 2012-04-07.
- Whitburn, Joel (1986). Joel Whitburn's Pop Memories 1890-1954. Wisconsin, USA: Record Research Inc. p. 484. ISBN 0-89820-083-0.