Cinderella (2000 film)
|Based on||various versions of Cinderella|
|Written by||Nick Dear|
|Directed by||Beeban Kidron|
|Theme music composer||Youth
|Running time||90 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Projector Pictures|
|Original network||Channel 4 (UK)
|Original release||1 January 2000 (UK)|
Cinderella is a TV film released on January 1, 2000 in the UK, directed by Beeban Kidron. The cast is led by Kathleen Turner, who plays the Wicked Stepmother Claudette. The film follows the original idea of the fairytale classic but is based in a modern world full of fashion and technology.
Cinderella (named Zezolla) and her family live mid 20th century, where fashion is practically everything. As her father is won over by a selfish woman named Claudette, Cinderella must keep her new step-mother from murdering the only family she has left. Add in an anti-social mermaid literally living in a cave, a bored prince with an ear for rock n' roll, and the glamour of the 1950's and one'll find that this story can't grow old.
- Kathleen Turner as Claudette
- Katrin Cartlidge as Goneril
- David Warner as Martin
- Jane Birkin as Mab
- Lucy Punch as Regan
- Leslie Phillips as Felim
- Sharon Maughan as Queen Seraphina
- Gideon Turner as Prince Valiant
- Marcella Plunkett as Cinderella (Zezolla)
- Grant Ibbs as Warner
- Hosh Kane as Marco (as Hosh Ibrahim)
- Nickolas Grace as First Minister
- Jenny Tomasin as Cook
Cinderella has been released on several formats. In 2000, Cinderella was released in the UK on videocassette by 4Learning. 4Learning's video comprised the film in three parts, followed by a documentary The Many Cinderellas, in a total of four 30 minute programmes. The film on videocassette was viewed in schools for educational purposes and activities. In 2002, Educational Media Australia also released the film on videocassette. In 2005, Cinderella was officially released in Taiwan on VCD and DVD by Gull Multimedia International. The DVD has audio in English with removable Chinese subtitles and is packaged with an accompanying booklet in Chinese. In 2006, the film was released in Japan on VHS and DVD by Transformer, and in Australia on DVD by VEA Group (including Classroom Video), a distributor of educational resources.
In 2000, Cinderella was one of Channel Four International's top selling programmes of the year. The film has received positive reviews. Kevin McDonough of United Feature Syndicate praised Kathleen Turner's performance as "wickedly good" and stated, "Cinderella features stunning cinematography, fabulous costumes, and the best role for Ms. Turner in years." Julie Salamon of The New York Times described the film as an "amusing, overheated pop version of the fairy tale" that "combines the romantic overtones of gothic thrillers...with fanciful music-video imagery. The evil stepmother (Kathleen Turner) wears fabulous neon clothes with exaggerated shapes..." Salamon also said, "This film has many virtues." Authors Elizabeth Ford and Deborah Mitchell of The Makeover in Movies called the film "visually exciting" and that "natural images dominate the tale...The expressionistic use of fantastic color, light and plenty of watery distortion create a magical mood. Its setting suggests a cross between Finland and Disney-world".
- "Channel Four International" (PDF). Channel Four Television Corporation. p. 36.
- Cinderella at Projector Pictures
- "Projector Productions has been commissioned by Channel 4 to make a £2 million feature-length TV adaptation of Cinderella". broadcastnow.co.uk. 23 July 1999.
- "IMDB: Cinderella". Retrieved 15 July 2010.
- Cinderella (Videocassette). Wetherby: 4Learning. 2000. ISBN 1-86215-641-7. OCLC 308640787.
- Middle English: Cinderella (1862156417) Channel4.com/learning (2003-2004 brochure).
- Programmes 1, 2, 3 - Teacher Notes & Activities Channel4Learning.com
- Cinderella (VHS). Melbourne: Educational Media Australia. c. 2002. OCLC 223530191.
- Gull Multimedia International Co. Gull.com.tw
- Cinderella DVD (Kathleen Turner, Jane Birkin, Marcella Plunkett) Taiwan version at yesasia.com. Released 24 November 2005.
- Press Release (2006): Cinderella Transformer.co.jp
- Cinderella DVD (Item Code: 4522178005107). GameBaz.com
- "Cinderella (DVD)". Wheelers Books. ISBN CH052. Released 14 November 2006.
- "Cinderella : middle english". Bendigo, Victoria, Australia: Channel 4. 2011. OCLC 767534681.
- McDonough, Kevin (December 17, 2001). "Kathleen Turner wickedly good in update of 'Cinderella'". The Post and Courier: 6D.
- Salamon, Julie (December 17, 2001). "TELEVISION REVIEW; Cinderella's Convertible, The Prince On a Cycle". The New York Times.
- Ford, Elizabeth A.; Mitchell, Deborah C. (2004). The Makeover in Movies: Before and After in Hollywood Films, 1941-2002. McFarland. pp. 47–48. ISBN 0-7864-1721-8.