|Place of origin||Fujian|
Cojuangco (Chinese: 許寰哥; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Khó͘-hoân-ko; Southern Min pronunciation: [kʰɔ˥˧ huan˨˦ ko˦˦]) is the Hispanised Filipino-Chinese surname Kho (Hanzi: 許, pronounced [kʰɔ˥˧] in Hokkien and Xu [ɕỳ] in Mandarin). The Cojuangco clan is among the most powerful and influential oligarchs in the Philippines, exercising economic control over several banks (such as Bank of Commerce) and trade houses, partly due to marriages with the Ayala and Roxas families and partly to their own business enterprises (notably the sugar trade). The clan has at various time been highly involved in Philippine politics, with several members having entered public office in both local and national positions.
The clan is descended from Co Yu Hwan (許玉寰; Xǔ Yùhuán; Khó͘ Gio̍k-khoân; Quanzhou Hokkien literary: Hěu Ggiókhuán;[improper synthesis?] colloquial: Koǒ Ggiákkuán),[improper synthesis?] who migrated from Hongjian Village, Jiaomei Township, Zhangzhou, Fujian to the Spanish East Indies in 1861. He was commonly called Kuán Goō (Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Khoân ko "Brother Kuan") or Koǒ Kuán Goō (Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Khó͘ Khoân ko / Khó͘ Hoân ko "Brother Koo Kuan") among Hoklo-Filipinos, and the latter was hispanicised as Cojuangco. He adopted the Christian name José in 1865, when he moved to Bulacan.
People with the surname Cojuangco are listed below alphabetically.
- María Corazón "Cory" Cojuangco-Aquino (1933-2009), eleventh President of the Philippines (1986-1992)
- Denise Cojuangco, Filipino equestrienne
- Eduardo "Danding" Cojuangco, Jr., Filipino businessman and politician
- José Cojuangco, Filipino politician
- José "Peping": Cojuangco, Jr., Filipino politician
- Josephine Cojuangco-Reyes, President of Far Eastern University (Manila, 1985–89)
- Mikee Cojuangco-Jaworski, Filipina equestrienne
- Mark Cojuangco, Filipino politician
- Margarita "Tingting" de los Reyes Cojuangco, Filipina politician
- Ma.Patricialyn Cojuangco-Lopez, Filipina equestrienne/Lawyer
- Río Díaz–Cojuangco, Filipina beauty queen, actress, and television personality
|surname Cojuangco. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.This page lists people with the|