Conquest of the Desert (exhibition)
|EXPO Jerusalem 1953|
|Name||International Exhibition and Fair Jerusalem Israel|
|Motto||Conquest of the Desert|
|Opening||22 September 1953|
|Closure||14 October 1953|
|Previous||The International Textile Exhibition in Lille|
|Next||The International Exhibition of Navigation (1954) in Naples|
|Previous||Exposition internationale du bicentenaire de Port-au-Prince in Port-au-Prince|
|Next||Expo 58 in Brussels|
|Next||Floriade 1960 in Rotterdam|
Conquest of the Desert was a world's fair held in Jerusalem, Israel in 1953 International Exhibition and Fair Jerusalem Israel. It focused on the themes of reclamation and population of desert area.
13 foreign countries participated. This included the United States, although they announced that they would boycott the opening ceremony. The Soviet Union declined to attend. UNESCO and the World Health Organisation also attended.
Or 21 countries according to another source
- "1953 Jerusalem - Israel". Retrieved 14 March 2012.[dead link]
- "Official Site of the Bureau International des Exposition". Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- "Exhibition 'Conquest Of The Desert'". Retrieved 14 March 2012.
- "Israel’s First International Exhibition Opened in Jerusalem". Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- "October 16, 1953 Israel’s First International Exhibition Closes; Visited by 600,000". Retrieved 14 March 2012.
- "U.S. Explains Its Boycott of Exhibition Opening". Archived from the original on 15 April 2013. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- "Soviet Declines Invitation to Participate in Israel Exhibition". Retrieved 14 March 2012.
|This Israel-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|