|Category||International Registered Exhibition|
|Motto||Designing Future Society for Our Lives!|
|Venue||Yumeshima Island, Konohana-ku|
|Bidding||22 April 2017|
|Awarded||23 November 2018|
|Opening||3 May 2025|
|Closure||3 November 2025|
|Previous||Expo 2020 in Dubai|
|Previous||Expo 2023 in Buenos Aries|
Expo 2025 is a forthcoming World Expo sanctioned by the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE), which will be held in Osaka, Japan. It will take place for six months during 2025. This will be the second time Osaka hosts a World Expo, having previously hosted Expo 1970.
On 22 November 2016, France submitted to the BIE its candidature to host World Expo 2025. This first submission launched the bidding process for this Expo by opening the candidate list. All other countries wishing to organise World Expo 2025 had until 22 May 2017 to submit their own bids, after which the project examination phase started.
The Azerbaijani capital entered its candidacy before the deadline under the theme "Developing Human Capital, Building a Better Future".
The Russian city entered its candidacy on 22 May 2017 under the theme "Changing the World: Innovations and Better Life for Future Generations".
France, which had been the first to declare its candidacy under the theme "Sharing our Knowledge, Caring for our Planet," withdrew its candidacy on 21 January 2018 due to financial concerns and Protests against Emmanuel Macron.
A secret ballot took place to select the winner at BIE's 164th General Assembly on 23 November 2018. The first ballot awarded 85 votes to Osaka, 48 votes to Yekaterinburg and 23 votes to Baku. This meant that Baku was eliminated and a second round ballot held which gave 92 votes to Osaka and 61 to Yekaterinburg.
- "Osaka Is World Expo 2025 Host | JAPAN Forward". Japan Forward. 2018-11-23. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- Jérôme, Béatrice (2016-11-22). "La France candidate à l'Exposition universelle de 2025". Le Monde.fr (in French). ISSN 1950-6244. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- "Baku bids for World Expo 2025". azernews.az. Retrieved 2017-05-23.
- "Osaka launches formal bid to host 2025 World Expo". www.mainichi.jp/english/. Retrieved 2017-04-27.
- "Japan submits bid for World Expo 2025". www.bie-paris.org. Retrieved 2017-04-27.
- "World Expo 2025". www.bie-paris.org. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- "World Expo 2025". www.bie-paris.org. Retrieved 2018-01-22.
- "France drops bid to host 2025 World Expo". Reuters. 2018-01-21.
- BIE https://www.bie-paris.org/site/en/news-announcements/expo-2025-en/japan-elected-host-country-of-world-expo-2025