|Born||Constantino Romero García
29 May 1947
Albacete, Castile-La Mancha, Spain
|Died||12 May 2013
|Cause of death||Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis|
|Occupation||TV and Radio host
|Known for||Dubbing acting|
|Awards||TP de Oro (1996)
Antena de Oro 1999
Constantino Romero García (29 May 1947 – 12 May 2013) was a Spanish TV and radio host and actor. Due to his deep voice, he was most known for dubbing into Spanish other actors like Clint Eastwood, James Earl Jones and Arnold Schwarzenegger in the Terminator or The Expendables films.
Radio and TV
Romero was born in Albacete and grew up in Chinchilla de Monte-Aragón (Albacete) where his mother lives. All his family are from Chinchilla and Almansa. His professional career began as an announcer at Radio Barcelona and RNE until 1985 when he made his first appearance in television as the host of the program Ya sé que tienes novio. From 1987 to 1992 he presented the game show El tiempo es oro on TVE. Later he moved to Antena 3 where he was very popular.
Later he appeared in the regional TVs with the game show La Silla and replaced Silvia Jato in Pasapalabra in Antena 3 when she became a mother. He worked at CMT since 2002 to 2010. In 1984 he made his first stage appearance with L'Ópera de tres rals directed by Mario Gas. Both worked together in the musicals Sweeney Todd in 1995 and A Little Night Music by Stephen Sondheim. Another play in which he appeared was The Little Shop of Horrors, giving voice to the carnivorous plant.
He was known as a voice over actor for some famous actors. Among his notable appearances in Spanish versions of foreign-language films, he was the voice of William Shatner in Star Trek, of Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Terminator film series, of Sean Connery in Outland, and of James Earl Jones' role as Darth Vader where Romero, rather than Jones, says "I am your father" (Yo soy tu padre).
His voice also dubs in several Disney films, for example, in The Lion King, as Mufasa's voice, in The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, as Frollo's voice, and in Mulan, the Supreme Ancestor.. He also voiced Shere Khan in The Jungle Book 2.
Retirement and death
He retired on December 12, 2012, after his last job as a voice actor: Trouble with the Curve. He announced it through his Twitter account:
"Thanks for the affection. It's been 47 years of work. And a whole life. Radio, TV, theatre, dubbing. It's been worth it. A hug. That's all folks!*" (* in English in the original). He showed his thankfulness to his fans with the words "I've always known that the best part of my job were people".
He died on May 12, 2013, in Barcelona at the age of 65.
- Ya sé que tienes novio (1985) in TVE.
- El tiempo es oro (1987–1992) in TVE.
- 3x4 (1989), in TVE, replaces Julia Otero in her holidays.
- La vida es juego (1992–1993) in TVE.
- Valor y coraje (1993–1995) in TVE.
- La Parodia Nacional (1996–2001) in Antena 3.
- Alta Tensión (1998–1999) in Antena 3.
- Tierra tragame (1999) in Antena 3.
- Telerisa (1999) in Antena 3.
- Una vez en la vida (2001) in Antena 3.
- Domino Day (2001–2002) en Antena 3.
- Destino de Castilla a La Mancha (2002) in CMT.
- Pasapalabra (2002) in Antena 3.
- La silla (2002) in Telemadrid.
- Reparto a domicilio (2003) in Telemadrid.
- Un paseo por Castilla-La Mancha (2005) en CMT.
- Siempre ellas (2006) in CMT.
- Matrícula (2007–2009) in Cantabria TV.
- Cantando en familia (2008) in CMT.
- Tierra de Tesoros (2009) in CMT.
- Lola (1986)
- Galeria oberta (1986) (TV series)
- La ronda (1987) (TV movie)
- 13 x 13 (1987) (TV series)
- La veritat oculta (1988)
- A l'est del Besòs (1988) (TV series)
- L'amor és estrany (1988)
- Las chicas de hoy en día (1991) (TV series)
- Don Quijote de Orson Welles (1992)
- No sé bailar (1992) (TV series)
- Olímpicament mort (1993) (TV movie)
- Oh, Espanya! (1996) (TV series)
- El sueño de una noche... vieja (1997) (TV movie)
- Lisístrata (2002)
- 800 balas (2002)
- 7 vidas (2003) (TV series)
- El corazón de las tinieblas (2004) (short)
- Di que sí (2004)
- Bujias y Manias (2005)
- Star Wars: Extinción (2006) (short)
- Héroes (2010)
- L'Edèn (2010) (TV Movie)
- Elefante (2011) (short)
- Copito de Nieve (2011)
Clint Eastwood voice in:
- Kelly's Heroes (1970)
- Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970)
- Dirty Harry (1971)
- Joe Kidd (1972)
- The Eiger Sanction (1975)
- The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
- Escape from Alcatraz (1979)
- Tightrope (1984)
- Pale Rider (1985)
- Heartbreak Ridge (1986)
- The Dead Pool (1988)
- Pink Cadillac (1989)
- White Hunter Black Heart (1990)
- The Rookie (1990)
- Unforgiven (1992)
- A perfect World (1993)
- The Bridges of Madison County (1995)
- Absolute Power (1997)
- True crime (1999)
- Space Cowboys (2000)
- Blood Work (2002)
- Million Dollar Baby (2005)
- Gran Torino (2009)
- Trouble with the Curve (2012)
James Earl Jones voice in:
- Swashbuckler (1976)
- Star Wars (1977)
- The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
- Conan the Barbarian (1982)
- Return of the Jedi (1983)
- The Lion King (1994)
- The Lion King II: Simba's Pride (1998)
- Fantasia 2000 (1999)
- The Lion King: Simba's Mighty Adventure (2001)
- Robots (2005)
- Revenge of the Sith (2005)
- Click (2006)
- Earth (2007)
Rutger Hauer voice in:
- Blade Runner (1982)
Tony Jay voice in:
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
- Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999)
- The Jungle Book 2 (2003)
Roger Moore voice in:
- Live and Let Die (1973)
- The Man with the Golden Gun (1974)
- That Lucky Touch (1975)
- Street People (1976)
- The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)
- Moonraker (1979)
- For Your Eyes Only (1981)
- The Cannonball Run (1981)
- Octopussy (1983)
- Curse of the Pink Panther (1983)
- The Naked Face (1984)
- A View to a Kill (1985)
- Fire, Ice and Dynamite (1990)
- Spice World (1997)
Arnold Schwarzenegger voice in:
- Terminator, (1984)
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day, (1991)
- Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, (2003)
- The Expendables, (2010)
- The Expendables 2, (2012)
William Shatner voice in:
- Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
- Airplane II: The Sequel (1982)
- Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
- Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)
- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)
- Boomerang (1992)
- Star Trek Generations (1994)
- Showtime (2002)
Louis Gossett, Jr. voice in:
- The Laughing Policeman (1973)
- An Officer and a Gentleman (1982)
- Iron Eagle (1986)
- Captive Heart: The James Mink Story (1996)
- Deceived (2002)
- Constantino Romero Garcia, biografía y trayectoria, Eldíadigital.es.
- La vida es un sueño, Elmundo.es.
- Constantino Romero es el más influyente, 20 Minutos.
- Constantino Romero: Darth Vader llegó a ser mi alborozo, LaSexta Noticias.
- Constantino Romero, a voice of Spanish radio has died aged 65