|No. 33 – AEK Athens|
August 6, 1990 |
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
|Listed height||6 ft 10 in (2.08 m)|
|Listed weight||275 lb (125 kg)|
|High school||Bishop McGuinness
(Oklahoma City, Oklahoma)
|NBA draft||2010 / Round: 1 / Pick: 29th overall|
|Selected by the Orlando Magic|
|2010||→New Mexico Thunderbirds (D-League)|
|2012–2013||Oklahoma City Thunder|
|2012–2013||→Tulsa 66ers (D-League)|
|2014||Maine Red Claws (D-League)|
|2014–2015||Sichuan Blue Whales (China)|
|2015||Purefoods Star Hotshots (Philippines)|
|2015||Grand Rapids Drive (D-League)|
|2015–present||AEK Athens (Greece)|
|Stats at NBA.com|
Daniel Joseph Orton (born August 6, 1990) is an American professional basketball player who currently plays with AEK Athens of the Greek League. He has also played for the Orlando Magic, Oklahoma City Thunder and Philadelphia 76ers.
High school career
Orton played for Bishop McGuinness High School in Oklahoma City. Bishop McGuinness won the class 4A state championship Orton's freshman, sophomore, and junior year. During his senior season, he tore his anterior cruciate ligament in his knee, cutting his final season of high school basketball short. He averaged 14 points, 11 rebounds and 5 blocks per game as a junior.
He was recruited to the University of Kentucky by Billy Gillispie, however, Gillispie was fired following Orton's senior season. Orton kept his commitment to Kentucky after John Calipari was hired by the university.
Orton was a reserve on the 2009–10 Kentucky Wildcats basketball team, where he averaged 3.4 points, 3.3 rebounds, and 1.4 blocks in 13.2 minutes per game. On May 8, 2010, Orton hired an agent and declared himself eligible for the 2010 NBA draft.
Orton was picked by the Orlando Magic with the 29th overall pick in the 2010 NBA draft. On July 1, 2010, Orton signed his rookie contract with the Magic. On December 1, 2010, it was announced that Orton would be sent to the New Mexico Thunderbirds of the NBA Development League. In his second game for the Thunderbirds, Orton suffered a season-ending knee injury.
On April 15, 2012, in a win against the Cleveland Cavaliers, Orton scored a career high 11 points while also recording 5 steals, 4 rebounds, and 3 blocks. In 16 games, he averaged 2.8 points per game. He played his first career playoff game against the Indiana Pacers.
On August 4, 2012, Orton was signed by the Oklahoma City Thunder. On October 27, 2012, Orton was released by the Oklahoma City Thunder, after losing out to DeAndre Liggins for the final roster spot during the pre-season. However, he was re-signed by the team on October 31, 2012, after the team had sent center Cole Aldrich to the Houston Rockets in a trade that also involved James Harden. The Thunder assigned Orton to the NBA D-League's Tulsa 66ers several times during the 2012–13 season.
On October 10, 2013, he was waived by the Thunder.
On October 16, 2013, he signed with the Philadelphia 76ers. On November 23, 2013, Orton recorded his first double double with 10 points, a career high 10 rebounds, and 2 blocks in a 98-106 loss to the Indiana Pacers. On January 7, 2014, he was waived by the 76ers.
On January 22, 2014, the Tulsa 66ers traded Orton's rights to the Maine Red Claws.
In July 2014, he joined the Washington Wizards for the 2014 NBA Summer League. On September 29, 2014, he signed with the Wizards. However, he was later waived by the Wizards on October 16, 2014. The next day, he signed with Shanxi Zhongyu of the Chinese Basketball Association. He was later dismissed by Shanxi in favor of Jeremy Tyler. On December 8, 2014, he signed with the Sichuan Blue Whales for the rest of the 2014–15 CBA season. Following the conclusion of CBA regular season, he terminated his contract with the Blue Whales on February 1, 2015.
On February 4, he signed with Purefoods Star Hotshots of the Philippine Basketball Association. In his first game on February 11, he recorded 16 points and 12 rebounds. After his third game against Kia Carnival, he called Kia player-coach Manny Pacquiao and the game's referees "a joke". He was summoned by PBA commissioner Chito Salud two days after the incident and was fined by the commissioner's office PHP250,000 due to his comments. Subsequently, he was sent home by Purefoods' team governor Rene Pardo on February 21. On March 11, he returned to the D-League, this time joining the Grand Rapids Drive. On March 26, he was waived by the Drive. He appeared in six games for the Drive, averaging 6.7 points and 5.8 rebounds in 18.3 minutes per game. On March 31, he was acquired by the Idaho Stampede but didn't play.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- "State Boys Basketball Champions". OSSAA. Retrieved September 4, 2010.
- Daniel Orton Recruiting Profile
- It's official: Kentucky's Eric Bledsoe, Daniel Orton will stay in NBA draft
- Daniel Orton signs Orlando Magic contract
- Magic assign first-round pick Orton to D-League USA Today, December 1, 2010
- New Orleans Hornets 93, Orlando Magic 67
- "Thunder Signs Daniel Orton". NBA.com. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- Thunder waive 3, keep Liggins
- Thunder re-sign Orton after Harden trade
- DeAndre Liggins and Daniel Orton Assigned to Tulsa 66ers
- 2012-13 NBA Assignments
- OKC Thunder waive center Daniel Orton
- Sixers sign Daniel Orton, waive Tim Ohlbrecht
- Notebook: Pacers 106, 76ers 98
- Philadelphia 76ers waive center Daniel Orton
- Fab Melo, Daniel Orton Moved in Four-Team Trade
- Wizards Sign Six for Training Camp
- Wizards waive Daniel Orton to trim roster to 17
- Daniel Orton signs with Shanxi
- Shanxi Zhongyu sign Jeremy Tyler
- Daniel Orton signs with Sichuan Blue Whales
- The complete list of players available from China
- Daniel Orton signs in the Philippines with Purefoods Star Hotshots
- NBA veteran Daniel Orton goes ballistic, says Manny Pacquiao playing pro hoops 'a joke', Richard Dy, spin.ph, February 18, 2015
- ORTON FINED P250K, PBA.ph, February 20, 2015
- Purefoods sends Daniel Orton home, risks playing all-Filipino as Bowles set for measurement, Richard Dy, spin.ph, February 21, 2015
- Daniel Orton Added to Drive's Roster
- Grand Rapids Drive Waive Daniel Orton
- NBA D-League 2014-15 Transactions
- "AEK Athens announces Daniel Orton". Sportando.com. 20 August 2015. Retrieved 20 August 2015.