|Papacy began||July 16, 1990|
|Opposed to||John Paul II|
|Ordination||December 11, 2011|
by Robert Biarnesen
|Consecration||December 11, 2011|
by Robert Biarnesen
|Born||22 September 1959|
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
David Allen Bawden (born September 22, 1959 in Oklahoma City), who takes the name Pope Michael, is an American citizen and a conclavist claimant to the papacy. He stated in 2009 that he had approximately 30 "solid" followers.
Bawden was elected by a group of six laypeople, which included himself and his parents, who had come to believe that the Catholic Church had seceded from the Catholic faith since Vatican II, and that there had been no legitimate popes elected since the death of Pope Pius XII in 1958.
In 1975, Bawden and his family began to follow the Society of St. Pius X (SSPX). Bawden attended the SSPX seminary in Écône, Switzerland, and Saint Joseph's Priory in Armada, Michigan, but was dismissed from the seminary in 1978.
Claim to the papacy
Bawden believes that all the popes since the death of Pope Pius XII on October 9, 1958, are modernists, heretics, and apostates, and that, therefore, their elections are invalid. He considers them to have incurred latae sententiae, or automatic excommunication, not so much for violating Pope Pius X's laws, as the laws of God.
Documentary film and book
Bawden claims he was ordained a priest and then consecrated a bishop on December 11, 2011, by an episcopus vagans, Bishop Robert Biarnesen of the Duarte-Costa and Old Catholic lineages, and thus claims to be able to validly celebrate Catholic sacraments, offer the Mass, ordain other men to the priesthood, and consecrate them as bishops.
- Brisendine, Steve (30 May 2005). "Despite few followers, 'Pope Michael' holds to beliefs". The Topeka Capital-Journal. Retrieved 24 April 2012.
- Adam Fairholm (Director) (2009). Pope Michael (Online).
-  Bawden, David. "About." - Vatican in Exile. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Apr. 2016. <http://vaticaninexile.com/about.php>.
- Frank, Thomas (2004). "Antipopes among us". What's the Matter with Kansas?: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America. Macmillan. pp. 217–224. ISBN 978-0-8050-7339-3.
- David Bawden's / Pope Michael's own words on FB, 2. October 2018
- Fox, Robin (2011). The Tribal Imagination: Civilization and the Savage Mind. Harvard University Press. p. 104. ISBN 9780674059016.
- Vatican in Exile FAQ
- Coppen, Luke (29 February 2012). "Today's Catholic must-reads". Catholic Herald. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- David Mills (February 28, 2012), "We have a Pope, but not that one", First Things, Institute on Religion and Public Life
- Bawden, David. "Validity of The Ordination and Consecration of Pope Michael". Pope Michael. Retrieved 27 March 2019.