DeSoto Township, Jackson County, Illinois
|De Soto Township|
Location in Jackson County
Jackson County's location in Illinois
|Established||November 4, 1884|
|• Total||37.94 sq mi (98.3 km2)|
|• Land||36.79 sq mi (95.3 km2)|
|• Water||1.15 sq mi (3.0 km2) 3.03%|
|Elevation||390 ft (119 m)|
|• Density||64.9/sq mi (25.1/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||62901, 62924, 62932, 62966|
|GNIS feature ID||0428892|
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 37.94 square miles (98.3 km2), of which 36.79 square miles (95.3 km2) (or 96.97%) is land and 1.15 square miles (3.0 km2) (or 3.03%) is water.
Cities, towns, villages
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Elk Township (north)
- Six Mile Township, Franklin County (northeast)
- Carbondale Township (south)
- Murphysboro Township (southwest)
- Somerset Township (west)
- Vergennes Township (northwest)
The township contains these five cemeteries: Beasley, Central-Crews, De Soto, Howard and Indian Hill.
Airports and landing strips
- Southern Illinois Airport
- Elverado Community Unit School District 196
- Herrin Community Unit School District 4
- Illinois' 12th congressional district
- State House District 115
- State Senate District 58
- "DeSoto Township, Jackson County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-01-17.
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 105.