|Principal||Prof. Moazzem Hossain Molla|
|Campus||Urban, 18.57 acres (0.075 km²)|
Dhaka College (Bengali: ঢাকা কলেজ) is a public college, located in Dhaka, Bangladesh. It offers Higher-Secondary education(HSC). It has bachelor's degree and master's degree programmes as well which divisions are affiliated with National University. Currently Professor Moazzem Hossain Molla is the Principal of the college. Among 685 colleges under National University, Dhaka college is ranked 3rd according to National University Ranking of honours & masters(2016).
Dhaka College is one of Bangladesh's most important and as well as most earliest higher-secondary educational institutions. It offers H.S.C., four years Honours and one year Masters course in various majors. The college is affiliated with National University. Several thousand students study here, it has a number of student halls and many students participate in politics. Dhaka College was established by Dr. James Taylor (Civil Surgeon at Dhaka) in 1835 as an English School (at present Dhaka Collegiate School). Dr. James organized a local Committee of Public Instruction with the help of district magistrate Mr. Grant. The school building was built partly out of public donations on the grounds of an English factory. The school rose to college status in 1841 and buildings were completed in 1946, with the aid of the Bishop of Calcutta. In the first graduating class there were both Muslim and Hindu students, as well as a number of foreign students, mainly from Armenia and Portugal. The college was relocated in 1873 to a large building to the east of Victoria Park in order to accommodate the physics and chemistry laboratories. Later it shifted in 1908 to Curzon Hall while the science departments were housed in the present chemistry building of the University of Dhaka. In 1921 the college shifted again to the old High Court Building. During the Second World War it moved to Siddique Bazar in purana Dhaka. Finally the College found its own permanent campus on Mirpur Road near Dhaka New Market since 1955.
- Department of Accounting
- Department of Management
- Department of Bengali
- Department of Botany
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of English
- Department of Economics
- Department of Geography & Environment
- Department of History
- Department of Islamic History and Culture
- Department of Arabic & Islamic Studies
- Department of Library & Information Science
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Marketing
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Physics
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Zoology
The Library of Dhaka College was established in 1841 at the time of establishment of the college. At present the library is accommodated in 1st floor of main building of the college and the collection is over 40,000. Students, teachers and other personnel of the college can take out books from the library except the reference books via the card system.
Residential student halls
There are eight residential halls:
- South Hall
- North Hall
- International Hall
- West Hall
- Elias Hall
- Shaheed Farhad Hossain Hall
- Southern Hall
- Sheikh Kamal Hall
Dhaka college has 04 buses to transport students from different areas of Dhaka city.
They are: 1. Puspak 2. Shankhanil 3. Shankhachil 4. Poddonil
- Zillur Rahman, the 19th President of Bangladesh
- Major General Khaled Mosharraf, Bir Uttom, the 4th Chief of Army Staff, Bangladesh Army
- Colonel Shafaat Jamil, Bir Bikrom(the third highest gallantry award in Bangladesh)
- Sheikh Kamal, Freedom fighter, founder of Abahani Limited (Dhaka)
- Sheikh Jamal, Freedom fighter, second son of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman
- Shafi Imam Rumi, Freedom fighter and martyr, son of Jahanara Imam
- Abdur Razzak, Educator, intellectual and one of the National Professors of Bangladesh
- Mufazzal Haider Chaudhury, prominent Bengali Essayist, educator and linguist of the Bengali language and Martyred Intellectual
- A R Mallick, Historian, educationist & first education secretary, founding vice-chancellor of Chittagong University and former finance minister
- Tajuddin Ahmed, First Prime Minister of Bangladesh
- Maumoon Abdul Gayoom, the 3rd President of the Maldives
- A Q M Badruddoza Chowdhury, the 13th President of Bangladesh
- Fazle Hasan Abed, Founder and Chairman of BRAC
- Ismail Faruque Chowdhury, former Engineer-in-Chief of the Bangladesh Army
- Musharrof Husain Khan, the 5th Vice-chancellor of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
- Muhammad Shahjahan, the 6th Vice-chancellor of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
- Nooruddin Ahmed, the 8th Vice-chancellor of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
- Justice M Ibrahim, the 8th Vice-chancellor of University of Dhaka
- Abdul Matin Chowdhury, the 14th Vice-chancellor of University of Dhaka
- AAMS Arefin Siddique, the current and the 27th Vice-chancellor of University of Dhaka
- Abdul Gaffar Chowdhury, Writer, columnist, philosopher and lyricist of the bangla song "Amar Bhaier Rokte Rangano Ekushey February"
- Rathindranath Roy, Musician and performer in Swadhin Bangla Betar Kendra
- Shamsur Rahman, Poet
- Humayun Ahmed, Writer and film maker
- Alamgir Kabir, Film maker and cultural activist
- Khan Ata, Actor, director, producer, screenplay writer, music composer and singer
- Humayun Azad, Novelist
- Muhammed Zafar Iqbal, Academic and writer
- Dinesh Chandra Sen, Writer and researcher of Bengali folklore
- Abul Hasan, Poet
- Mahadev Saha, Poet
- Kaiser Haq, Poet and writer
- Abu Zafar Obaidullah, Poet
- Rudro Mohammad Shahidullah, Poet
- Mir Masoom Ali, Professor, statistician and educator
- Ghulam Murshid, Scholar, professor and journalist
- Qazi Motahar Hossain, Author, statistician and one of the National Professors of Bangladesh
- Khan Bahadur Abdul Aziz, Educationist, writer and social worker
- Syed Modasser Ali, Ophthalmologist
- Zafrullah Chowdhury, public health activist
- Meghnad Saha, FRS, Astrophysicist and developer of Saha equation
- Akbar Ali Khan, Economist
- M Harunur Rashid, Archaeologist, educationist and museum curator
- Mohammad Samir Hossain, Theorist in Death anxiety (psychology)
- Debapriya Bhattacharya, Economist and public policy analyst
- Sir Krishna Govinda Gupta, ICS, Member, Secretary of State's Council, UK (1907)
- Rezaul Haque, Cricketer
- Niaz Murshed, Chess Grandmaster
- Anwarul Iqbal, BPM (Bar), PPM was an adviser (2007–2009) to the interim Caretaker Government of Bangladesh, Founder Director General of the Elite force RAB
- Waheedul Haq, Journalist, writer, musicologist and one of the founders of Chhayanat
- Serajur Rahman, Journalist, broadcaster, columnist
- Abul Kalam Shamsuddin, Journalist and author
- A.F.M. Abdur Rahman, Justice of Bangladesh Supreme court
- Syed Ishtiaq Ahmed, former Attorney general of Bangladesh
- Jamilur Reza Choudhury, Vice Chancellor of UAP
- Rashed Khan Menon, Politician
- Barrister Shafique Ahmed, former Law Minister
- Mohiuddin Khan Alamgir, former Home Minister
- Faruk Khan, former Civil Aviation and Tourism Minister
- Tawfiq-e-Elahi Chowdhury, Bir Bikram and the Energy Adviser to the Prime Minister of the Government of Bangladesh
- A. H. Mahmud Ali, Diplomat and Politician, current Bangladesh Foreign Minister
- Zunaid Ahmed Palak, Lawyer and politician, current Bangladesh Telecommunications & Information Technology Minister
- Dr. S. Ghulam Mohammad, Economist, journalist, business and financial adviser, now permanently lives in the US
- Tanzir Tuhin, Architect, musician, member of Shironamhin
- Shafiq Tuhin, Lyricist and music director
- Shajal Noor, Actor
- Arfan Nisho, Actor
- George Harry Langley, the 2nd Vice-chancellor of the University of Dhaka
- Walter Allen Jenkins, the 7th Vice-chancellor of the University of Dhaka
- Ayub Ali, Educationist
- Muhammad Mansuruddin, Bengali author, literary critic, essayist, lexicographer
- Mohammad Noman, Educationist
- Akhtaruzzaman Elias, Novelist
- Shaukat Osman, Novelist and short story writer
- Mohammad Rafiq, Poet
- Kazi Abdul Wadud, Essayist, critic, dramatist
- Prasanna Kumar Roy, first Indian Principal of Presidency College, Kolkata
- Abdullah Abu Sayeed, Educationist
- "Principal, Dhaka College".
- "National University Ranking of honours & masters(2016)".
- "Prothom-alo news of national university ranking 2016".
- "Dhaka College library".
- "Biography of A R Mallick".
- "the daily star's news about AR Mallick on his death anniversary".
- "Who is Fazle Hasan Abed".
- "Professor Dr. Muhammad Shahjahan". buet.ac.bd. Retrieved July 3, 2016.
- "Professor Dr. Nooruddin Ahmed". buet.ac.bd. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Muhammed Zafar Iqbal's verified facebook fan page".
- "Welcome to the personal world of Justice A.F.M Abdur Rahman".
- "A brief biographical note on Professor Jamilur Reza Choudhury".