Edward Winterhalder at a book signing in Lansing, MI
Edward Winterhalder (born 1955) is an American author, television producer and screenwriter who has written eleven books and five screenplays about motorcycle clubs and the outlaw biker culture. One of his books, The Assimilation: Rock Machine Become Bandidos, has been published in multiple languages.
Winterhalder was born in New England, grew up in southern Connecticut, and moved to Oklahoma in 1975 after serving in the US Army. In Oklahoma he joined the Rogues Motorcycle Club and was a close associate of the Bandidos outlaw motorcycle club from 1979 to 1997, and a high-ranking member of the Bandidos from 1997 to 2003.
Under the pseudonym of Warren Winters, Winterhalder formed the Warren Winters Band in the 1980s after fronting the Connecticut Dust Band during the late 1970s and early 1980s. Playing guitar and singing lead vocals, he utilized a group of studio musicians and his childhood friend Kurt Newman (drums) to record the As I Was debut album in 1984 on the Shovster Records label. In 1988, the Crossbar Hotel album was recorded at Grace Recording Studios in Connecticut with Warren Winters (guitar & lead vocals), Andy Rutman (guitar), Kurt Newman (drums), Lou Sabetta (keyboards) and Mario Figueroa (bass). On both albums, the song writing credits noted that all songs were written by Edward Winterhalder.
In 1995, a Best Of Warren Winters CD was mastered and produced by Chris Westerman of Blackwater Sound in New Hampshire. Along with hit songs from the As I Was and Crossbar Hotel albums, the CD featured a few songs from his Connecticut Dust Band days and some unreleased tracks from studio sessions. While the music of the Warren Winters Band was once described as being somewhere between rock n roll and progressive country, a 2011 article in France compared the Warren Winters Band sound to Acey Stone, Circuit Rider and Justen O'Brien.
In May 1997 Winterhalder established the Oklahoma chapter of the Bandidos and was the high-ranking member of the Bandidos responsible for the assimilation of a Canadian outlaw motorcycle club known as the Rock Machine into the Bandidos, which became the first Canadian chapters of the Bandidos motorcycle club. Winterhalder left the Bandidos in September 2003 to spend time with his family, pursue business interests and better manage his construction company.
Since 2005, Winterhalder has authored or co-authored books, and produced television shows and DVDs on the Harley-Davidson biker lifestyle. He is the creator and executive producer of the Real American Bikers: War Dogs MC, Biker Chicz and Living on the Edge television series, and the subject of a feature-length documentary movie that is being filmed in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Dubai.
Winterhalder is a consultant to the entertainment industry for television shows and feature films that focus on the biker lifestyle. He has appeared in TV shows on National Geographic aka Nat Geo (US, Australia, UK & New Zealand), History Television (Canada), the History Channel (US & Australia), Global TV (Canada), Prime TV (New Zealand), and the AB Groupe (France, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, the Netherlands and southwest Germany).
Winterhalder has been interviewed on Fox News Channel, the O'Reilly Factor hosted by Bill O'Reilly, ABC Nightline, MSNBC News Nation, Inside Edition, and CBC. He has been a featured author on Bravo TV's "The Word" in the same episode as JK Rowling, has appeared in the Outlaw Bikers television series in Canada, been quoted in magazines and newspapers such as GQ, Vice Media, USA Today, Seattle Weekly, the Austin Chronicle, the Sunshine Coast Daily in Australia, and The Guardian in England UK, and has been interviewed by Pat Campbell for the Pat Campbell radio show on 1170 KFAQ in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Books and DVDs
- Winterhalder, Edward; Teatum, Marc (2015), The Blue And Silver Shark: A BIker's Story, Blockhead City Inc, ISBN 0-9899997-4-2
- Winterhalder, Edward; De Clercq, Wil (2014), Biker Chicz, Blockhead City Inc, ISBN 0-9899997-2-6
- Winterhalder, Edward; Parke, Iain (2013), The Ultimate Biker Anthology, Blockhead City Inc, ISBN 0-9899997-0-X
- Winterhalder, Edward; Teatum, Marc (2012), The Moon Upstairs: A Biker's Story, Blockhead City Inc, ISBN 0-9771747-8-6
- Winterhalder, Edward; Teatum, Marc (2011), One Light Coming: A Biker's Story, Blockhead City Inc, ISBN 0-9771747-5-1
- Winterhalder, Edward; De Clercq, Wil (2010), Biker Chicz of North America, Blockhead City Press, ISBN 0-9771747-3-5
- Winterhalder, Edward; Pruner, John (2011), Biker Chicz TV Series
- Winterhalder, Edward; Biggar, Gary; Boyko, Ryan (2009), Outlaw Bikers TV Series
- Winterhalder, Edward; Larson, James Richard (2010), The Mirror: A Biker's Story, Blockhead City Press, ISBN 0-9771747-2-7
- Winterhalder, Edward; McCarroll, Russell; Palumbo, Robert (2009), Marked TV Series
- Winterhalder, Edward; Veno, Arthur (2009), Biker Chicks: The Magnetic Attraction of Women to Bad Boys and Motorbikes, Allen & Unwin, ISBN 1-74175-695-2
- Winterhalder, Edward; Larson, James Richard (2009), All Roads Lead to Sturgis: A Biker's Story, Blockhead City Press, ISBN 0-9771747-1-9
- Winterhalder, Edward; Tyson, Elizabeth; Wagner, Ian (2008), Gangland TV Series
- Winterhalder, Edward; De Clercq, Wil (2008), The Assimilation: Rock Machine Become Bandidos - Bikers United Against the Hells Angels, ECW Press, ISBN 1-55022-824-2
- Winterhalder, Edward; Terreson, Bruce (2007), Living On The Edge TV Series
- Winterhalder, Edward (2006), Out in Bad Standings: Inside the Bandidos Motorcycle Club - the Making of a Worldwide Dynasty, Blockhead City Press, ISBN 0-9771747-0-0
- "Die Übernahme". Stattverlag.de. 2010-03-29. Retrieved 2016-12-21.
- "Métro Montréal - La vie de motard vue de l’intérieur". Journalmetro.com. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- Edward Winterhalder & Wil De Clercq (2008). The Assimilation. ECW Press. ISBN 1-55490-321-1. Retrieved 2010-05-14.
- "Review of the Crossbar Hotel Album". Some Where There Is Music. Retrieved 2013-03-04.
- "Movie, TV Crews In Town To Film Motorcycle Expert". ncnewsonline.com. Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- "Biker Chicz TV Series Begins Filming at Laconia". motorcycleusa.com. Retrieved 2012-11-15.
- "Living on the Edge: Riding with the Vietnam Vets Motorcycle Club in Pennsylvania (2007)". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- "Shovelhead Road: Author Edward Winterhalder Shooting Outlaw Bikers Documentary". aimag.com. Retrieved 2016-11-05.
- "Bikers For Books charity ride and local Harley dealer to be filmed for movie". lansingstatejournal.com. Retrieved 2015-08-29.
- "Movie, TV crews in town to film motorcycle expert". ncnewsonline.com. Retrieved 2015-08-27.
- "Local bikers featured in movie". wilx.com. Retrieved 2015-09-13.
- "Edward Winterhalder". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- "Former motorcycle club leader goes inside biker culture". foxnews.com. Retrieved 2015-05-23.
- "Watch how oreilly interviews a former white biker gang leader about deadly shootout in texas". mediamatters.org. Retrieved 2015-05-23.
- "Biker gang brawl in texas leaves 9 dead". abc.go.com. Retrieved 2015-05-23.
- "Former bandido weighs in on biker waco brawl". msnbc.com. Retrieved 2015-05-23.
- "Undercover cop who infiltrated biker gangs". insideedition.com. Retrieved 2015-05-23.
- bhcpress (2008-01-14). "Author Edward Winterhalder on Bravo TV in December 2007". YouTube. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Outlaw Bikers". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- "Bandidos gang leather patch style". GQ. Retrieved 2015-05-23.
- "Why do people join biker gangs like the bandidos". Vice Media. Retrieved 2015-05-23.
- "Texas motorcycle bangs bandidos". USA Today. Retrieved 2015-05-23.
- "Bandidos motorcycle gang texas". USA Today. Retrieved 2015-05-24.
- "Seattle Bad Boys". Seattle Weekly. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "The Hells Angels Hit - News". The Austin Chronicle. Retrieved 2011-10-10.
- "Interview with edward winterhalder". 1170kfaq.com. Retrieved 2015-05-23.