Elkins City Administration Building
Location in Washington County and the state of Arkansas
|• Total||2.6 sq mi (6.8 km2)|
|• Land||2.6 sq mi (6.8 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,217 ft (371 m)|
|• Density||481.2/sq mi (184/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0076869|
Elkins is a city in Washington County, Arkansas. The community is located in the Boston Mountains deep in the Ozark Mountains. A combination of the former unincorporated communities of Harris and Hood, Elkins was established in 1964. Located immediately east of Fayetteville in the Northwest Arkansas metropolitan statistical area, Elkins has been experiencing rapid growth in recent years, doubling in population between the 2000 and 2010 censuses.
Elkins is located at (36.019747, -94.028695).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.6 square miles (6.7 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,251 people, 485 households, and 370 families residing in the city. The population density was 479.7 people per square mile (185.1/km²). There were 518 housing units at an average density of 198.6/sq mi (76.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 96.56% White, 0.16% Black or African American, 1.76% Native American, 0.24% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 0.16% from other races, and 1.04% from two or more races. 1.20% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 485 households out of which 37.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.4% were married couples living together, 9.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.7% were non-families. 21.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.5% under the age of 18, 8.2% from 18 to 24, 32.7% from 25 to 44, 20.4% from 45 to 64, and 12.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 98.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $39,318, and the median income for a family was $45,750. Males had a median income of $31,742 versus $22,008 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,161. About 5.9% of families and 6.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.9% of those under age 18 and 19.1% of those age 65 or over.
- Jim King, baseball player
- Danny L. Patrick, former member of the Arkansas House of Representatives from Madison County; in later years, he farmed near Elkins.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Elkins, Arkansas.|
- Johnson, Mary Ellen (March 5, 2012). "Elkins (Washington County)". Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture. Butler Center for Arkansas Studies at the Central Arkansas Library System. Retrieved July 6, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Danny Lee Patrick", Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, July 29, 2009