Ethiopian Highway 2
|Length||1,071 km (665 mi)|
|Transport in Ethiopia|
The Ethiopian Highway 2 is a highway in Ethiopia. It connects the capital Addis Ababa with Mekelle, as well as with Wukro, Adigrat, Axum, Shire and Humera. Ethiopian Highway 2 has a length of 974 kilometers.
Towns and cities along Ethiopian Highway 2 include, from north to south:
- Sheraro, connection to Badme
- Adi Dairo
- Shire (1953m), connection to (south) Inda Aba Guna, May Tsebri and Debarq; (west) Kisad Gaba, Mayhansse, Dedebit and Addi Remets
- Selekleka or Seleh Leha (2107m)
- Wkro or Wukro Maray (m)
- Axum (2131m)
- Adwa-Adi Abun (1907m), connection to (south) Abi Addi and (north) Rama
- Enticho (1964m), connection to Yeha
- Bizet (2044m)
- Adigrat (2457m), connection to Zalambessa, Fatsi and Sebeya
- Idaga Hamus (2670m)
- Freweyni (2480m), connection to Hawzen and Nebelet
- Negash (2375m)
- Wukro (1972m), connection to Atsbi
- Agula (1930m), connection to Berhale connection to Afar
- Maymekden (2208m), connection to Mekelle, Hagre Selam and Abi Addi
- Kwiha (2247m), connection to Mekelle and Abala
- Adi Gudem (2100m)
- Ambalage (2450m)
- Maychew (2478m), connection to Mekoni
- Korem (2539m)
- Alamata (1520m), connection to Mekoni
- Kobo (1468m), connection to Lalibela
- Woldiya (2112m), connection to Gashena, Lalibela, Debre Tabor, Bahir Dar and Gondar.
- Dessie (2470m)
- Kombolcha, connection to Afar
- Debre Sina (2700m)
- Debre Birhan (2840m)
- Addis Abeba (2855m)
There are three high-mountain passes on Highway 2:
- Between Ambalage and Adi Gudem over the Alagi pass near Amba Alagi at a height of 3090 meters.
- Between Maychew and Ambalage over the Alage pass at a height of 2990 meters.
- Just east of Debre Sina, the national highway reaches its apex at 3120 meters.
Mekelle, the capital of the Tigray region, is located ten kilometers off the highway. The main road turns off to Mekelle at Kwiha, the center of the Enderta district. The detour to Mekelle adds thirteen kilometers. To follow Highway 2 to the north and get to Wukro, Adigrat and further more directly, one has to turn off in Kwiha and follow the road which crosses the plateau east of Mekelle. Highway 2 joins the Mekelle main road detour at the village of Maimekden.
In the plans for a new Ethiopian railroad network, a railroad would be constructed from Addis Ababa to Mekelle, Shire and then to Humera roughly following the route of Highway 2.