|NGC, Vector Gas|
|Industry||Natural gas transmission and distribution|
|Philippa Dunphy (chair)|
Number of employees
First Gas Limited is a natural gas transmission and distribution company in New Zealand. First Gas's network has 2,204 km of high pressure pipelines and 4,800 km of gas distribution pipelines. Through Flex Gas, First Gas owns and operates the Ahuroa Gas Storage Facility.
The Natural Gas Corporation (NGC) was established by the New Zealand government to buy, process and wholesale natural gas from the Kapuni gas field, which was discovered in 1959. NGC built the first high pressure gas transmission lines in the late 1960s, initially supplying Kapuni gas to Auckland, Hamilton, New Plymouth, Wanganui, Palmerston North, and Wellington. The network was expanded through the 1970s and 1980s, supporting the major expansion of the oil and gas industry at that time.
NGC was privatised in 1992. The Australian Gas Light (AGL) sold NGC to Vector Limited in 2004 and 2005. The company was again sold in 2016 to First State Funds, being renamed First Gas during the acquisition.
In 2016, First Gas purchased the Maui natural gas pipeline from Maui Development for $335 million. This is the main gas transmission pipeline in New Zealand. It is 307 km long, stretching from the Oaonui production station north of Opunake through to Huntly Power Station in Huntly, and carries 78% of New Zealand's onshore and offshore natural gas. At that time, ownership of Maui Development was between Shell (84%), OMV NZ (10%) and Todd Energy (6%).
|Total pipeline length||4638 km|
|Intermediate pressure (700–2000 kPa)||177 km|
|Medium pressure (7–700 kPa)||4,389 km|
|Low pressure (<7 kPa)||72 km|
|System maximum demand||35.10 TJ/day|
|System gas delivered||11,733 TJ|
- "About Us". First Gas.
- "History of Natural Gas in NZ". Gas Association of New Zealand.
- Gregg, Roger; Walrond, Carl (13 July 2012). "The Maui Gas Field". Oil and Gas. Te Ara - Encyclopedia of New Zealand.
- "Completion of Vector Gas Ltd Purchase by First State Funds" (Press release). Firstgas. 20 April 2016.
- Raj, Audrey (15 June 2016). "Shell seals Maui pipeline sale". Asian Oil & Gas.
- "GDB Information Disclosure - First Gas Limited - year ending 30 September 2017" (PDF). Retrieved 18 November 2018.
|This New Zealand corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|