theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ram Gopal Varma|
|Produced by||Yarllagada Surendra|
|Written by||Posani Krishna Murali (dialogues)|
|Screenplay by||Ram Gopal Varma|
|Story by||Mani Ratnam
Ram Gopal Varma
Gaayam (Telugu: గాయం, English: Injury) is a 1993 Telugu, crime film, produced by Yarllagada Surendra for S.S. Creations, and directed by Ram Gopal Varma. Jagapathi Babu, Revathi and Urmila Matondkar play the lead roles and the music was composed by Sri with lyrics by Sirivennela Seetharama Sastry. The story of the film was written by Mani Ratnam. The story runs with Vijayawada mafia of the time as a backdrop. Upon its release, the film received positive reviews and emerged as a blockbuster. A sequel titled Gaayam 2 was released in 2010.
Durga (Jagapathi Babu) is in love with Anitha (Revathi); he is all set to marry her and settle down in life. But things change when his brother Mohanakrishna (Charan Raj) is killed by Gurunarayana (Kota Srinivas Rao), the local MLA, and Durga wants to settle the score with the mafia. Anitha does not approve of his way. She marries a cop. Durga & the cop become enemies of Gurunarayana. He is finally arrested.
- Jagapathi Babu as Durga
- Revathi as Anitha
- Urmila Matondkar as Chitra
- Kota Srinivasa Rao as Guru Narayan
- Sivakrishna as Bharadwaja
- M. Balaiah as Charigaaru
- Tanikella Bharani as Lawyer Saab
- Rami Reddy as Sarkar
- Charan Raj as Mohana Krishna
- Benarjee as Benarjee
- Sirivennela Seetharama Sastry as Journalist Swamy
- Narayana Rao
- Tarzan as Srisailam
- Uttej as Yadgiri
- Narsing Yadav as Narsing
- Annapoorna as Chitra's mother
|Film score by Sri|
|1.||"Nizam Pori"||Mano, Chitra,Eeswar||5:20|
|2.||"Niggadeesi Adugu"||SP Balu||2:06|
|4.||"Swarajyam Endukani"||SP Balu||4:56|
|5.||"Cheli Mida Chitikedu"||Mano,Chitra||6:59|
- Jagapathi Babu won the Nandi Award for Best Actor
- Sirivennela Sitaramasastri won the Nandi Award for Best Lyricist
- Ram Gopal Varma won the Filmfare Award for Best Director – Telugu
- Kota Srinivasa Rao won the Nandi Award for Best Villain
After the film's huge success, Ram Gopal Varma and Jagapathi Babu planned to release a sequel titled Gaayam 2. Rao Gopal Varma was the producer in the sequel while Praveen Sri was the director. Vimala Raman was the heroine as Kota Srinivasa Rao again plays as the antagonist. His son Kota Prasad also plays a role as his son in the film as well. Gaayam 2 was his son's first and last film in his career. Ilaiyaraaja composed the music for the film and was released by ADITYA Music Company. It was released in 2010 but met with negative reviews.
- VCDs and DVDs were released by HYDERABAD Videos, Hyderabad.
- "Jagapathi to do 'Gaayam-2'". IndiaGlitz. 28 November 2009. Retrieved 30 May 2010.
|This article about a Telugu-language film of the 1990s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|