|Initial release||May 21, 2004|
|Stable release||0.16.5 (December 28, 2015[±])|
|Operating system||BSD, Linux, Microsoft Windows|
|Available in||Multi language|
|Type||Instant messaging client|
|License||GNU GPLv3 only|
Gajim // is an instant messaging client for the XMPP protocol which uses the GTK+ toolkit. The name Gajim is a recursive acronym for Gajim's a jabber instant messenger. Gajim runs on Linux, BSD and Microsoft Windows. Released under the GNU General Public License, Gajim is free software. A 2009 round-up of similar software on Tom's Hardware found version 0.12.1 "the lightest and fastest jabber IM client".
Philosophy and features
The goal of the Gajim project is to provide a full-featured and easy to use XMPP client for GTK+ users. Gajim uses PyGTK as GUI library, so it does not require full GNOME to run, though it works nicely under a GNOME environment. Some of its features:
- Tabbed chat windows
- Group chat support (with MUC protocol)
- Emoticons, Avatars, File transfer, URL grabber, Bookmarks
- Systray icon, Speller
- TLS, OpenPGP and end-to-end encryption support (OpenPGP not available under Windows until version 0.15), including SSL legacy support
- Transport Registration support
- Service Discovery including Nodes
- Wikipedia, dictionary and search engine lookup
- Multiple accounts support
- D-Bus Capabilities
- XML Console
- Jingle voice and video support (using the "python-farstream" library, no support in Windows yet)
Gajim is available in Basque, Bulgarian, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, English, Esperanto, French, German, Italian, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Russian, Spanish, Slovak, Swedish, Ukrainian and others.
Gajim supports third-party plugins. Examples include:
Up until late 2011, it was possible to forge a link such that when a receiving Gajim user clicks on it, arbitrary code would be executed on the Gajim user's machine.
- Development page
- Le Boulanger, Yann (2008-04-19). "pronunciation example of "Gajim"". Retrieved 2008-04-19.
- trac from gajim: gpg.exe on Windows OS in Gajim, gnupg on win32
- Gajim 0.14 ChangeLog
- Gajim FAQ
- Bahtiar Gadimov. "Gajim plugin for OMEMO Multi-End Message and Object Encryption". GitHub. Retrieved 2015-12-06.
- trac from gajim: remote code execution
- Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier Review: Gajim Jabber client on Linux.com, September 16, 2005
- Mihai Marinof, Gajim Review. Free Jabber client for Linux. on Softpedia, 7 November 2006
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gajim.|
- Official website
- Official wiki
- XMPP Software: Clients
- Unofficial XMPP/Jabber clients and OS usage statistics (5) by Lucas Nussbaum