|Initial release||May 21, 2004|
|Stable release||1.1.3 (April 24, 2019) [±]|
|Operating system||BSD, Linux, Microsoft Windows|
|Available in||Multi language|
|Type||Instant messaging client|
|License||GNU GPLv3 only|
Gajim // is an instant messaging client for the XMPP protocol which uses the GTK+ toolkit. The name Gajim is a recursive acronym for Gajim's a jabber instant messenger. Gajim runs on Linux, BSD and Microsoft Windows. Released under the GNU General Public License, Gajim is free software. A 2009 round-up of similar software on Tom's Hardware found version 0.12.1 "the lightest and fastest jabber IM client".
Philosophy and features
The goal of the Gajim project is to provide a full-featured and easy to use XMPP client for GTK+ users. Gajim uses PyGTK as GUI library, so it does not require full GNOME to run, though it works nicely under a GNOME environment. Some of its features:
- Tabbed chat windows
- Group chat support (with MUC protocol)
- Emoticons, Avatars, File transfer, URL grabber, Bookmarks
- Systray icon, Speller
- TLS, OpenPGP and end-to-end encryption support (OpenPGP not available under Windows until version 0.15), including SSL legacy support
- Transport Registration support
- Service Discovery including Nodes
- Wikipedia, dictionary and search engine lookup
- Multiple accounts support
- D-Bus Capabilities
- XML Console
- Jingle voice and video support (using the "python-farstream" library, no support in Windows yet)
- HTTP file upload
Gajim is available in Basque, Bulgarian, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, English, Esperanto, French, German, Italian, Norwegian (Bokmål), Polish, Russian, Spanish, Slovak, Swedish, Ukrainian and others.
Gajim supports third-party plugins. Examples include:
Up until late 2011, it was possible to forge a link such that when a receiving Gajim user clicks on it, arbitrary code would be executed on the Gajim user's machine.
- "ChangeLog · gajim-1.1.3 · gajim / gajim". GitLab. Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- Development page
- Le Boulanger, Yann (2008-04-19). "pronunciation example of "Gajim"". Retrieved 2008-04-19.
- GitLab from gajim: gpg.exe on Windows OS in Gajim, gnupg on win32
- Gajim 0.14 ChangeLog
- "Gajim FAQ". Gajim Wiki.
- Bahtiar Gadimov. "Gajim plugin for OMEMO Multi-End Message and Object Encryption". Gajim GitLab. Retrieved 2017-01-28.
- GitLab from gajim: remote code execution
- Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier Review: Gajim Jabber client on Linux.com, September 16, 2005
- Mihai Marinof, Gajim Review. Free Jabber client for Linux. on Softpedia, 7 November 2006
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gajim.|