Game, Dames and Guitar Thangs
|Game, Dames and Guitar Thangs|
|Studio album by Eddie Hazel|
|Genre||Psychedelic soul, funk, hard rock|
|Producer||Eddie Hazel, George Clinton|
|Eddie Hazel chronology|
Game, Dames and Guitar Thangs (1977) is the debut album by Parliament-Funkadelic lead guitarist Eddie Hazel. It was Hazel's only album until his death in 1992, when it was followed by several posthumous releases.
Three songs on the album are covers, "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" (originally recorded by The Beatles), "California Dreamin'" (first recorded by The Mamas & the Papas), and "Physical Love" (originally recorded by Bootsy's Rubber Band).
A single from the album, an edited version of "California Dreamin'" backed with an instrumental version of the song, was released in 1977 (WBS 8425), yet the instrumental version has never been released on CD.
Game, Dames and Guitar Thangs was cut out soon after its release and became extremely rare. Owning a copy earned one a measure of prestige among P-Funk fans. A 1994 episode of the television series Homicide: Life on the Street involved a shooting motivated by one character's destruction of another character's copy of Game, Dames and Guitar Thangs
In 2004, Rhino Records issued Game, Dames and Guitar Thangs as a numbered, limited-edition compact disc. As bonus tracks, the Rhino CD included the four songs that made up the hard-to-find Jams From The Heart EP (1994).
After Rhino's limited release sold out, Collector's Choice Music released Game, Dames and Guitar Thangs without the extra songs. The album was re-released in 2012 by RealGoneMusic in gatefold form.
- "California Dreamin'" (John Phillips, Michelle Phillips) - 6:20 (released as a single-Warner Bros. WBS 8425)
- "Frantic Moment" (George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Bernie Worrell) - 3:43
- "So Goes The Story" (Clinton, Collins, Eddie Hazel) - 3:57
- "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" (John Lennon, Paul McCartney) - 9:26
- "Physical Love" (Clinton, Collins, Gary Cooper, Garry Shider) - 5:33
- "What About It?" (Clinton, Hazel) - 3:45
- "California Dreamin' (Reprise)"(J. Phillips, M. Phillips) - 1:40
- "Smedley Smorganoff" (Hazel) - 3:06
- "Lampoc Boogie" (Hazel) - 11:46
- "From the Bottom Of My Heart" (Hazel) - 12:34
- "Unkut Funk" (Hazel) - 2:02
- Guitars: Eddie Hazel, Michael Hampton, Garry Shider, Glenn Goins
- Bass: Bootsy Collins, Billy Bass Nelson, Cordell Mosson
- Drums: Jerome Brailey, Bootsy Collins, Tiki Fulwood
- Keyboards: Bernie Worrell; Doug Duffey on "I Want You"
- Vocals: Lynn Mabry, Dawn Silva, Gary Cooper