Bootsy? Player of the Year
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Bootsy? Player of the Year|
|Studio album by|
|Released||January 27, 1978|
|Studio||United Sound Studios, Detroit, Michigan |
Hollywood Sound Studios, Hollywood, California
|Producer||Bootsy Collins, George Clinton|
|Bootsy's Rubber Band chronology|
|The Village Voice||B|
The album was released on Warner Bros. Records on January 27, 1978. At the height of the album's popularity, it competed head to head with Bootsy Collins' mentor George Clinton and his band Parliament, who had released the album Funkentelechy Vs. the Placebo Syndrome just two months earlier.
Bootsy? Player of the Year featured two hit singles, "Bootzilla", which went to number one on the Billboard Hot Soul Singles charts, and "Hollywood Squares". The album peaked at number one on the Billboard Soul Album charts. The original vinyl version of the album contained a pair of cut out star shaped eyeglasses. It probably stands as the band's most successful album to date. The album introduces Collins' roles as Bootzilla and The Player.
The album was produced by George Clinton and Bootsy Collins and arranged by "THE PLAYER". The album was reissued in 1990 by Warner/Pioneer of Japan (now Warner Music-Japan), then through WEA International in the mid-1990s and then by Time/Warner in the U.S. in April 1998.
- Radio Active / A / Side 1
- "Bootsy? (What's the Name Of This Town)" (Bootsy Collins, George Clinton, Maceo Parker) - (6:59)
- "May The Force Be With You" (Bootsy Collins, George Clinton, Gary Cooper) - (6:02)
- "Very Yes" (Bootsy Collins, George Clinton, Gary Cooper) - (8:24)
- Monster Rock / A+ / Side 2
- "Bootzilla" (Bootsy Collins, George Clinton) - (5:38)(released as a single-Warners WB 8512)
- "Hollywood Squares" (Bootsy Collins, George Clinton, Frank Waddy) - (6:15)(released as a single-Warner WBS 8575)
- "Roto-Rooter" (Bootsy Collins, George Clinton, Phelps Collins) - (6:25)
- "As In (I Love You)" (Bootsy Collins, George Clinton, Bernie Worrell) - (5:08)
- Phelps Collins, Bootsy Collins - guitar
- Frank Waddy, Bootsy Collins, Gary Cooper - drums
- Bootsy Collins - bass
- Joel Johnson - keyboards
- Fred Wesley, Maceo Parker, Richard Griffith, Rick Gardner - horns
- Gary Cooper, Robert Johnson - vocals
|1978||Bootsy? Player of the Year||16||1|
- Bootsy? Player of the Year at AllMusic
- Christgau, Robert. "Robert Christgau: Consumer Guide Apr. 24, 1978". www.robertchristgau.com. self published. Retrieved 17 February 2018.
- "Bootsy's Rubber Band US albums chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-07-13.
- "Bootsy's Rubber Band US singles chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-07-13.