Parra with the Baltimore Orioles
May 6, 1987 |
Santa Barbara del Zulia, Venezuela
|May 13, 2009, for the Arizona Diamondbacks|
(through 2015 season)
|Runs batted in||311|
|Career highlights and awards|
Gerardo Enrique Parra (born May 6, 1987) is a Venezuelan professional baseball outfielder who is a free agent. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Arizona Diamondbacks, Milwaukee Brewers and Baltimore Orioles.
Major league career
On May 13, 2009 he was called up from AA (Double A) Mobile BayBears when left fielder Conor Jackson was placed on the disabled list. He was inserted into the starting lineup the same day, and in his first Major League at bat he became the 100th player in MLB history to hit a home run in his first at bat.
In his first five games he had at least one RBI, becoming the second player since Mike Lansing (1993) in the last 30 years to accomplish this feat. Parra was named NL Rookie of the Month for May and reached base in each of his first 17 games.
In 2011, Parra broke out batting .292 with 8 home runs and 46 runs batted in. Not only did he do well offensively, he also established himself as a threat with his powerful throwing arm, throwing out runners on various occasions. He was a very underrated player in 2011 as he was a key ingredient in leading the Diamondbacks turnaround.
In an 18 inning game on 24–25 August 2013 at the Philadelphia Phillies, Parra collected a career-high five hits. The teams drew a combined 28 bases on balls, a National League record. The Diamondbacks' 18 walks tied the National League mark. The game lasted seven hours and six minutes, the longest in franchise history for both clubs.
On July 31, 2015, he was traded to the Baltimore Orioles for Zach Davies. After a slow start with the O's, Parra tied a career-high in hits with five on August 16 in an 18-2 victory over the Oakland Athletics. The five hits were the most hits he had collected in a nine-inning game.
Parra is married to Tania Victoria Marin Carrizo.
- Schlegel, John (May 13, 2009). "Shorthanded D-backs call up outfield help". MLB.com. Retrieved November 2, 2009.
- Singer, Tom (May 13, 2009). "Parra goes deep in first career at-bat". MLB.com. Retrieved June 30, 2009.
- Rubin, Adam. "espn.com". Espn.go.com. Retrieved October 6, 2011.
- "D-backs outlast Phillies in game lasting over 7 hours". espn.com. August 25, 2013. Retrieved August 25, 2013.
- "D-backs win longest game in franchise history". mlb.com. August 25, 2013. Retrieved August 25, 2013.
- Todd, Jeff (July 31, 2015). "Orioles Acquire Gerardo Parra". mlb traderumors. Retrieved July 31, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gerardo Parra.|
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube
- Gerardo Parra on Twitter