|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
Gugudan (Hangul: 구구단), also stylized as gu9udan or gx9, is a South Korean girl group formed in 2016 by Jellyfish Entertainment. They debuted on June 28, 2016, with the mini-album Act. 1 The Little Mermaid and its title track "Wonderland". The group consists of nine members: Mimi, Hana, Haebin, Nayoung, Sejeong, Sally, Soyee, Mina and Hyeyeon.
- 1 History
- 2 Members
- 3 Subunits
- 4 Discography
- 5 Filmography
- 6 Awards and nominations
- 7 References
- 8 External links
In January 2016, Nayoung, Sejeong and Mina were introduced as Jellyfish Entertainment's first female trainees on the Mnet survival show Produce 101, where 101 female trainees from various companies competed to debut in an 11-member girl group that would promote for a year under YMC Entertainment. After placing 2nd and 9th respectively in the final episode, Sejeong and Mina eventually debuted as members of I.O.I in May 2016.
2016: Debut with Act. 1 The Little Mermaid
Despite denying earlier reports about Sejeong and Mina debuting in a 3-member girl group in June, Jellyfish Entertainment confirmed on June 7 that the two I.O.I members would debut within the month in what would be the company's first girl group. Because of YMC Entertainment's special terms in which I.O.I's members are allowed to do activities under their respective companies while I.O.I was on break or while the group promoted in sub-units, there were no complications with the plan.
Nayoung was also confirmed as a member on June 10 and on June 13, Jellyfish Entertainment revealed that Gugudan would be a 9-member group. On June 17, Jellyfish Entertainment announced the group name.
On June 22, the group confirmed that they were going for a "mermaid" concept. Following the announcement, a highlight medley of the group's debut mini-album was released on June 24 and they eventually debuted, on June 28, 2016, with the mini-album, Act. 1 The Little Mermaid, with "Wonderland" as the title song. Their debut showcase was held at the Yes24 Live Hall on the same day as the album's release.
Gugudan participated in Jellyfish Entertainment's yearly winter project, Jelly Christmas 2016, with their label mates Seo In-guk, VIXX, Park Yoon-ha, Park Jung-ah, Kim Gyu-sun, Kim Ye-won and Jiyul. The title track, "Falling" (니가 내려와) was released digitally on December 13, 2016.
On December 17, 2016, Gugudan announced their official fan-club name, "Dear Friend" (단짝), through their V app channel. The fan-club name means that the fans and Gugudan are going to be best friends.
2017: Act. 2 Narcissus and Act. 3 Chococo Factory
In early February 2017, Jellyfish Entertainment announced that Gugudan would make their first comeback since the debut of their second mini album. The mini album, named Act. 2 Narcissus with its title track "A Girl Like Me", was released on 27 February.
On November 8, the group returned with a single album, Act. 3 Chococo Factory, featuring the title track "Chococo". Prior to the release, it was announced that Soyee will go on hiatus in order to fully recover from a shoulder injury that she had since prior to her debut.
2018–present: Act. 4 Cait Sith
On February 1, the group second single album titled Act. 4 Cait Sith featuring title track "The Boots" was released.
On May 17, it was announced that youngest member Hyeyeon will go on a temporary hiatus from all the group activities due to health issues.
- Mimi (Hangul: 미미) — Vocalist
- Hana (하나) — Leader, Main Dancer, Vocalist, Visual
- Haebin (해빈) — Main Vocalist
- Nayoung (나영) — Lead Vocalist
- Sejeong (세정) — Main Vocalist, Face of the Group
- Sally (샐리) — Lead Rapper, Lead Dancer, Vocalist
- Soyee (소이) — Lead Vocalist
- Mina (미나) — Main Rapper, Main Dancer, Vocalist
- Hyeyeon (혜연) — Lead Dancer, Vocalist, Rapper, Maknae
In July 2017, Jellyfish Entertainment formed the first subunit of Gugudan composed of two youngest members: Mina and Hyeyeon named Gugudan 5959 (Hangul: 구구단 오구오구; spelled as Ogu-ogu).The "5959" name, is made up of their represented number in Gugudan: Hyeyeon represents the number 5 and Mina represents the number 9. 5959 released their debut single "Ice Chu" on August 10, 2017.
In June 2018, Jellyfish Entertainment formed the second subunit of Gugudan composed of the three members: Sejeong, Mina and Nayoung named Gugudan SEMINA (Hangul: 구구단 세미나). The "SEMINA" name, is made up of the first syllables of Sejeong, Mina and Nayoung. SEMINA debuted with the release of their self-titled single album on July 10, 2018.
- Gugudan Project - Extreme School Trip (MBC Music; 2016)
Awards and nominations
This section needs additional citations for verification. (June 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|2016||Gugudan||Popularity Award (Singer) ||Nominated|
|2017||Rising Star Award||Won|
|Popularity Award (Singer) ||Nominated|
|2017||Gugudan||New Artist of the Year||Nominated|
|2017||Gugudan||New Artist of the Year ||Nominated|
|Asian Choice Popularity Award||Nominated|
|2016||Gugudan||Best New Artist (Female Group)||Nominated|
|Artist of the Year||Nominated|
|New Artist Award||Nominated|
|Hallyu Special Award||Nominated|
|Hallyu Special Award||Nominated|
|2016||Rookie Asia M-style Show||Cultural Technology - Awesome Style Award||Gugudan||Won|
- Lee, Eun-jeong (June 17, 2016). "젤리피쉬 1호 걸그룹은 '구구단'…"올여름 샛별"". Naver (in Korean). Yonhap News. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- "Produce 101". Produce 101. Episode 1 (in Korean). January 22, 2016. Mnet.
- Hwang, Mi-hyun (May 5, 2016). "젤리피쉬 측 "6월 13일 NO…현재 I.O.I 활동에 집중"[공식]". Nate (in Korean). Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- Kim, Ji-yeon (June 7, 2016). "I.O.I's Kim Sejeong and Kang Mina Confirmed for Jellyfish's First Girl Group". Mwave. enewsWorld. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- Park, Hyun-min (April 12, 2016). "이오아이 측 "개별 활동? 팀에는 피해 없도록"". Osen (in Korean). Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- Lee, Ji-young (June 10, 2016). "'Produce 101' Kim Nayoung Confirmed for Jellyfish's New Girl Group". Mwave. enewsWorld. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- Kim, Ji-young (June 16, 2016). "9 members of Jellyfish's new girl group unveiled". The Korea Herald. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- Jeon, Su Mi. "Jellyfish Finally Announces New Girl Group Name". Mwave. CJ E&M enewsWorld. Retrieved June 17, 2016.
- "Gugudan invite you to their theater in another debut film for 'The Little Mermaid'!". allkpop. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- "Gugudan drop highlight medley for debut album 'Act.1 The Little Mermaid'". allkpop. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- "서인국부터 구구단까지..'젤리 크리스마스' 막강 라인업". Naver. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- "서인국·빅스·구구단..젤리 캐롤 '니가 내려와' 발매". Naver. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- "Update:Jellyfish Entertainment Announces Lineup For Upcoming "Jelly Christmas" Single". Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- "Update:Jellyfish Entertainment releases teaser image and lineup for its Christmas album!". Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- "서인국X빅스, '니가 내려와'로 뭉친 여심 스틸러". Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "Gugudan announce their official fan club name!". Retrieved 2016-12-17.
- "Gugudan confirm February comeback date!". Retrieved 2017-01-04.
- "Gugudan Serves Up Creepy Pop Confection in 'Willy Wonka'-Inspired 'Chococo' Video". Billboard. 8 November 2017. Retrieved 10 November 2017.
- "gugudan's Soyee To Go On Indefinite Hiatus Due To Flare Up Of Old Injury". Soompi. 18 October 2017. Retrieved 24 November 2017.
- gugudan DEBUT FILM #1 - Welcome to gugudan theatre. June 19, 2016.
- "[공식] 구구단 미나x혜연, 8월 첫 유닛 출격..상큼 막내라인" (in Korean). Retrieved July 19, 2017.
- "2016 Asia Artist Awards - the Most Popular Artists (Singer)". Retrieved 19 October 2016.
- "2017 Asia Artist Awards". Asiaartistawards.com (in Korean). Retrieved 2017-09-20.
- "31st Golden Disc Nominees - Golden Disc".
- "'소리바다' 엑소, 韓최초 5년연속 대상..트와이스는 음원퀸[종합]". Mosen.mt.co.kr. Retrieved 24 September 2017.
- "[소리바다어워즈]엑소·트와이스 대상·워너원 2관왕…K팝 축제 (종합)". Mpop.heraldcorp.com. 20 September 2017. Retrieved 24 September 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gugudan.|