Hamilton Health Sciences
Hamilton Health Sciences (HHS) is a medical group of seven unique hospitals and a cancer centre located in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. In 2014 it was ranked 2nd in Canada on Research Infosource's Top 40 Hospitals in Canada list.
- Hamilton General Hospital
- McMaster University Medical Centre
- McMaster Children's Hospital
- Juravinski Hospital
- St. Peter's Hospital
- West Lincoln Memorial Hospital
- Juravinski Cancer Centre
- Main Street West Urgent Care Centre
- Ron Joyce Children's Health Centre
- Regional Rehabilitation Centre
- David Braley Research Institute
Hamilton Health Sciences is affiliated with McMaster University Medical School. In October 2008, the Hamilton Health Sciences Corporation was named one of "Canada's Top 100 Employers" by Mediacorp Canada Inc., and was featured in Maclean's newsmagazine.
It was formed in 1996 when Hamilton General, Henderson General, McMaster University Medical Centre, McMaster Children's Hospital and Chedoke Hospital merged to form Hamilton Health Sciences Corporation; this union formed one of the largest teaching hospitals in Ontario with four sites, approximately 8,000 employees and 1,000 physicians. St. Peter's Hospital became part of Hamilton Health Sciences in 2008.
The David Braley Cardiac, Vascular and Stroke Research Institute opened in 2010 and is located behind the Hamilton General Hospital. It is a $90-million Research Centre and employees nearly 500 scientists. The new building is 165,000 square feet (15,300 m2). David Braley contributed $10-million towards the project.
Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation is a registered charitable organization that supports six of the hospitals and a cancer centre within Hamilton Health Sciences.
The Ron Joyce Children's Centre, which opened in the fall 2015, is the only centre of its kind in Canada. The purpose built facility houses a variety of programs including: Autism Spectrum Disorder Service, Child and Youth Mental Health Program, Developmental Pediatrics and Rehabilitation Program, Prosthetics and Orthotics Services and Audiology Services.
- "Top 40 Hospitals in Canada" (PDF). Research Infosource. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "Reasons for Selection, 2009 Canada's Top 100 Employers Competition".
- "Good Medicine: A $90-million health research centre set to rise on the edge of Hamilton's industrial heartland points the way to life after steel". Hamilton Spectator. 2007-05-09.