|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||2 October 1917|
|Died||26 February 2006(aged 88)|
|Unit||JG 21, JG 54|
|Commands held||JG 51|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Heinz Lange (October 2, 1917 – February 26, 2006) was an officer and pilot in the Luftwaffe of Nazi Germany during World War II who briefly commanded fighter wing Jagdgeschwader 51. He was a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross.
Shortly after the end of the war the British wanted to evaluate the performance the German Fw 190 D-13. At Flensburg, the British Disarmament Wing wanted to compare the fighter's performance gainst a Hawker Tempest. Squadron Leader Evans approached Major Lange and asked him to fly a mock combat against one of their pilots. Lange accepted, even though he had only ten flights in a D-9. The mock dogfight was conducted at an altitude of 3,000 meters, with only enough fuel for the flight and no ammunition. The machines proved evenly matched. Major Lange assessed that the outcome of such a contest greatly depended on the skills of the individual pilot. At the time Major Lange was not aware that he was not flying a D-13, but rather a D-9.
After the war Lange attended the University of Kiel and studied law receiving a doctorate in law (Dr. jur.) degree. In August 1950 he started his career working for the Gerling Insurance Group. He retired in 1982.
- German Cross in Gold on 17 May 1943 as Hauptmann in the 3./Jagdgeschwader 51
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 18 November 1944 as Hauptmann and leader of the IV./Jagdgeschwader 51 "Mölders"
- Crandal 2000, p. 17.
- Patzwall & Scherzer 2001, p. 268.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 492.
- Crandall, Jerry (2000). Yellow 10 The story of the ultra-rare Fw 190 D-13. Hamilton, MT: Eagle Edition. ISBN 978-0-9660706-3-7.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall. ISBN 978-3-931533-45-8.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Militaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
Major Fritz Losigkeit
|Commander of Jagdgeschwader 51 Mölders
2 April 1945 – 8 May 1945