I'm Waiting for the Man
|"I'm Waiting for the Man"|
1971 single b/w "There She Goes Again"
|Song by The Velvet Underground|
|from the album The Velvet Underground & Nico|
|Studio||TTG Studios, Hollywood, California|
The song is about waiting on a streetcorner in Harlem, near the intersection of Lexington Avenue and 125th Street, in New York City and purchasing $26 worth of heroin (equivalent to $191 in 2017), sung from the point of view of the purchaser, who has presumably traveled to Harlem from another part of the city; the "man" in the title is a drug dealer. Along with traditional guitars, bass, and drums, the song also features pounding, percussive rock-and-roll barrelhouse-style piano. It is one of the band's more popular songs, and one of their many compositions featuring drugs as subject matter. After leaving the band in 1970, Lou Reed continued to incorporate it into his solo live performances.
Ludlow Street Loft, July 1965
The song was among a set of early songs to be recorded by Lou Reed, John Cale and Sterling Morrison in the band's Ludlow Street loft in Manhattan. This version of the song, free of percussion, has a considerably more folk and even blues influence in style than the album version. It is available on the first disc of the Peel Slowly and See box set.
Scepter Studios, April 1966
Before the final album version of the song was recorded in May 1966, at T.T.G. Studios in Hollywood, a different take was recorded in April 1966 at Scepter Studios in Manhattan. The original Manhattan take is slightly shorter, the piano is less audible and instead of drums, a tambourine is employed. Also of note is that Reed sings "I'm waiting for the man" at the beginning of the song; on the album version, Reed sings "I'm waiting for my man."
- Lou Reed – lead vocal, lead guitar
- John Cale – piano, bass
- Sterling Morrison – rhythm guitar
- Maureen Tucker – drums, tambourine
- "The Velvet Underground & Nico – The Velvet Underground". Allmusic. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- "The Velvet Underground, 'I'm Waiting for the Man' – 500 Greatest Songs of All Time". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on 2 November 2013. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- "I'm Waiting for the Man / There She Goes Again by Andy Warhol's Velvet Underground (Single, Garage Rock): Reviews, Ratings, Credits, Song list – Rate Your Music". Rateyourmusic.com. 11 October 2012. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- The RS 500 Greatest Songs of All Time at Rolling Stone (101-200)
- I'm Waiting for the Man at Rolling Stone