IEC 61162 is a collection of IEC standards for "Digital interfaces for navigational equipment within a ship".
The 61162 standards are developed in Working Group 6 (WG6) of Technical Committee 80 (TC80) of the IEC.
Sections of IEC 61162
Standard IEC 61162 is divided into four parts:
- Part 1: Single talker and multiple listeners
- Part 2: Single talker and multiple listeners, high-speed transmission
- Part 3: Serial data instrument network (Also known as NMEA 2000)
- Part 450: Multiple talkers and multiple listeners–Ethernet interconnection (Also known as Lightweight Ethernet)
- Part 460: Multiple talkers and multiple listeners - Ethernet interconnection - Safety and security
Single talker and multiple listeners is an international standard
Single talker and multiple listeners, high-speed transmission
Serial data instrument network
Multiple talkers Multiple listeners
This subgroup of TC80/WG6 has specified the use of Ethernet for shipboard navigational networks. The specification describes the transport of NMEA sentences as defined in 61162-1 over IPv4. Due to the low amount of protocol complexity it has been nicknamed Lightweight Ethernet or LWE in short.
The standard was published in the first edition 06/2011 . The second edition is in progress(state 05/2016).
IEC 61162-460:2015(E) is an add-on to the IEC 61162-450 standard where higher safety and security standards are needed, e.g. due to higher exposure to external threats or to improve network integrity. This standard provides requirements and test methods for equipment to be used in an IEC 61162-460 compliant network as well as requirements for the network itself and requirements for interconnection from the network to other networks. This standard also contains requirements for a redundant IEC 61162-460 compliant network. This standard extends the informative guidance given in Annex D of IEC 61162-450:2011. It does not introduce new application level protocol requirements to those that are defined in IEC 61162-450.
The first edition was published in 08/2015.
state 05/2016 the first bridge and system manufacturers beginning with the implementation of IEC 61162-450 and IEC 61162-460
known devices with -450 implementation :
- Furuno GPS
- Furuno ECDIS
- Furuno VDR
- Netwave NW-6000 VDR
- Danelec VDR
- Saab AIS
- Totem Plus ECDIS
- Totem Plus VDR 2014
- Nomatronics Magicplex 8 GIC LWE ( bidirectional 8 Port Multiplexer / Converter )
known devices/systems with -460 implementation :
- Nomatronics MagicNet ( IEC 61162-460 Switch/Forwarder)
- Nomatronics MagicNet-GWR (IEC 61162-460 Gateway)
- Ø.J. Rødseth, et al. "Overview of the IEC 61162-450 “Light Weight Ethernet” Ship Bridge Data Network", ISIS2011
- M.J. Christensen, et al. Lightweight Ethernet - a new standard for shipbord networks"