The Institut national de la santé et de la recherche médicale (Inserm, French pronunciation: [insɛʁm]) is the French National Institute of Health and Medical Research.
History and organisation
The Inserm is the only public research institution solely focused on human health and medical research in France. It is a public institution with a scientific and technical vocation under the dual auspices of the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Research. Inserm consists[when?] of 339 research units, run by 6,500 permanent staff members. Eighty percent of Inserm research units are embedded in research hospitals of French universities.
INSERM´s CEO is chosen by decree upon a proposal of the Ministers of Health and Research, advised by a review committee.
Until 12 June 2018, INSERM´s CEO was Yves Lévy. By June 21st, eight candidates will be nominated, of which only two are publicly known, namely Philippe Froguel and Jessica Zucman-Rossi, while Yves Levy is expected to run again.
In May 2017 President Emmanuel Macron appointed Lévy´s wife, Agnès Buzyn as minister of health. Levy was criticized for the obvious conflict of interest. On May 29, 2017, a decree was issued that the French prime minister would carry out acts related to INSERM.
Each year, Inserm awards three researchers in three major distinct categories. The Grand prix de l'Inserm recognizes major advancements in biology for an active researcher of the institution, the Grand prix d'honneur recognizes a French public institution's researcher whose contributions have had a major impact in science, and the Prix étranger (Foreign Prize) awards a foreign researcher for their particular contributions to biomedical research. In addition the Inserm has internal awards for engineers and young researchers.
Winners of the three major Awards
Notes and references
- About INSERM n.d., retrieved 16 June 2018.
- France may be back, but the old ways persist for INSERM. The Lancet, Volume 391, Issue 10138, p 2390, retrieved 16 June 2018.
- 2016 Inserm awards laureates on the INSERM website retrieved Dec 4th 2016.
- Lauréats des prix Inserm 2015 de la recherche médicale on the INSERM website retrieved Nov 23rd 2015.
- Lauréats des prix Inserm 2014 de la recherche médicale on the INSERM website retrieved Dec 14th 2014.
- Lauréats du Grand Prix 2013 de la recherche médicale on the INSERM website retrieved Nov 22nd 2013.
- Lauréats du Grand Prix 2012 de la recherche médicale on the INSERM website retrieved Nov 21st 2012.
- Lauréats du Grand Prix 2011 de la recherche médicale Archived 2011-12-05 at the Wayback Machine. on the INSERM website retrieved Dec 06th 2011.
- Lauréats du Grand Prix de la recherche médical on the INSERM website retrieved Nov 30th 2010
- Lauréats du Grand Prix de la recherche médical on the INSERM website retrieved Nov 24th 2009
- Lauréats du Grand Prix de la recherche médical on the INSERM website retrieved on Dec 2nd 2008
- Official website (English)