Macau Mosque and Cemetery
|Macau Mosque and Cemetery
Mesquita e Cemitério de Macau
Macau Mosque and Cemetery Entrance Gate
|Location||4 Ramal Dos Moros, Our Lady of Fatima Parish
It is believed that Macau Mosque was built by Muslims who arrived with the Portuguese army. Originally, these Muslims were recruited from South Asia by the army. Within the complex area, there are also Muslim cemetery with some of the tombs dated back for hundreds of years, indicating that Islam had arrived in Macau since hundreds of years ago.
In the late months of 2007, Macau Mosque underwent renovation. The mosque is planned to be doubled in size to be a more modern mosque for Macau with a total area of 1,250 m2 and can accommodate up to 600 worshipers.
The Macau Mosque and Cemetery area consists of Macau Mosque, extended area of the mosque, Macau Muslim cemetery, headquarters of the Islamic Association of Macau, ablution place, badminton court and playground. The size of Macau Mosque is around 6.5 meter x 12 meter. The Macau Mosque and Cemetery entrance gate was donated by Halima binti Sheik on 27 June 1973 in the memory of Adam Sheik.
Macau Mosque houses the headquarters of the Islamic Association of Macau (IAM; Chinese: 澳門伊斯蘭會; Portuguese: Associação Islâmica de Macau), which manages the daily operation of the mosque. The association was founded in 1935 in Portuguese Macau.
More people visit the mosque on Sunday during their off days due to their tight working schedule in the weekdays or during big Islamic festivities, such as Eid al-Adha. Most of them do the Quran reading activities. During Eid al-Adha, the Muslims sacrifice cows and slaughter them at the Macau Slaughter House.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Macau Mosque and Cemetery.|
- "Macau Mosque and Muslim Cemetry, Macau Special Administrative Region, Macau , Macau - Islamic Centers, Masjids Mosques, Muslim Owned Businesses, Islamic Schools and Colleges". Islamicfinder.org. 2013-03-15. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Home". Islam in Macau. 2012-10-26. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Macau Mosque - Mosques in China". muslim2china.com. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- Fazle Elahi Ahmad. "Muslim Population". Islamicpopulation.com. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Islam di Kota Judi Macau".
- "ISLAMIC ASSOCIATION OF MACAU, Macau, , Macau - Islamic Centers, Masjids Mosques, Muslim Owned Businesses, Islamic Schools and Colleges".
- "Macau’s Muslims celebrate ‘Festival of Sacrifice’". Macau Daily Times. 2010-11-19. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Masjid Gerbang Empat Bahasa: Lawatan ke Masjid-masjid di Mancanegara (4)". Wisata.kompasiana.com. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Local Muslim community celebrates Eid al-Adha". MACAU DAILY TIMES.
|This Macau-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|