James Robert Durrant
James Durrant at the Royal Society admissions day in London, July 2017
|Born||James Robert Durrant|
Imperial College London|
|Thesis||Transient absorption spectroscopy of photosystem two (1991)|
James Robert Durrant FRS is a professor of Photochemistry in the faculty of Natural Sciences, department of Chemistry at Imperial College London and Sêr Cymru Solar Professor in the College of Engineering at Swansea University. He is the Director of the Centre for Plastic Electronics (CPE).
Career and research
Durrant's research focuses on a range of photochemical applications including solar cells, solar fuel production and photocatalysis, nanomaterials and plastic electronics and has authored over 400 publications, in 2015 he was named as a highly cited researcher by Thomson Reuters ranking in the top 1% by citations for field and publication year, according to the Web of Science.
Durrant is also involved in teaching photochemistry at Imperial College London.
Awards and honours
- 2018: Awarded the Royal Society Hughes Medal 
- 2017: Elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) for his research contributions in photochemistry of new materials for use in solar energy conversion – specifically targeting both solar cells (photovoltaics) and solar to fuel (i.e.: artificial photosynthesis).
- 2016: Awarded president's award for excellence in research supervision.
- 2012: Awarded the Royal Society Tilden Prize 
- 2009: Awarded the Royal Society Environment Prize 
- 1994: Awarded the Royal Society Meldola Medal and Prize .
- James Robert Durrant publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Durrant, James Robert (1991). Transient absorption spectroscopy of photosystem two. spiral.imperial.ac.uk (PhD thesis). Imperial College London. hdl:10044/1/11455. OCLC 855696059. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.573962.
- Anon (2017). "Professor James Durrant FRS". royalsociety.org. London: Royal Society. Archived from the original on 5 May 2017. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from the royalsociety.org website where:
“All text published under the heading 'Biography' on Fellow profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.” --Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies at the Wayback Machine (archived 2016-11-11)
- "James Robert Durrant Imperial College London". Archived from the original on 26 August 2017.
- "Professor James Robert Durrant Swansea University". Archived from the original on 26 August 2017.
- James Robert Durrant publications from Europe PubMed Central
- James Robert Durrant publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- Kim, Youngkyoo; Cook, Steffan; Tuladhar, Sachetan M.; Choulis, Stelios A.; Nelson, Jenny; Durrant, James R.; Bradley, Donal D. C.; Giles, Mark; McCulloch, Iain (2006). "A strong regioregularity effect in self-organizing conjugated polymer films and high-efficiency polythiophene:fullerene solar cells". Nature Materials. 5 (3): 197–203. Bibcode:2006NatMa...5..197K. doi:10.1038/nmat1574.
- Clarke, Tracey M.; Durrant, James R. (2010). "Charge Photogeneration in Organic Solar Cells". Chemical Reviews. 110 (11): 6736–6767. doi:10.1021/cr900271s. ISSN 0009-2665.
- Palomares, Emilio; Clifford, John N.; Haque, Saif A.; Lutz, Thierry; Durrant, James R. (2003). "Control of Charge Recombination Dynamics in Dye Sensitized Solar Cells by the Use of Conformally Deposited Metal Oxide Blocking Layers". Journal of the American Chemical Society. 125 (2): 475–482. doi:10.1021/ja027945w. ISSN 0002-7863.
- "Publications – Professor James Durrant". Imperial College London. Archived from the original on 27 March 2017. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- "CPE Researchers are in the Top 1% for Citations". Imperial College London. Archived from the original on 26 August 2017. Retrieved 7 May 2017.
- "Hughes Medal". Royal Society. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- Wade, Jessica; Wood, Sebastian; Collado-Fregoso, Elisa; Heeney, Martin; Durrant, James; Kim, Ji-Seon (2017). "Impact of Fullerene Intercalation on Structural and Thermal Properties of Organic Photovoltaic Blends". The Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 121 (38): 20976–20985. doi:10.1021/acs.jpcc.7b05893. ISSN 1932-7447.
- "James Durrant-Biography". Royal Society. Retrieved 6 September 2018.