Ginés Morata at the Royal Society admissions day in London, July 2017
Ginés Morata Pérez|
1945 (age 72–73)
|Alma mater||Complutense University of Madrid (PhD)|
|Awards||Prince of Asturias Prize|
Autonomous University of Madrid|
University of Cambridge
|Thesis||Herencia celular de la determinación en Drosophila (1973)|
|Doctoral advisor||Antonio Garcia-Bellido|
Ginés Morata Pérez ForMemRS is Research Professor at the Autonomous University of Madrid in Spain and an expert in developmental biology of the fruitfly fruit fly (Drosophila), a specialty he has worked on for over 40 years.
Morata was educated at the Universidad Laboral de Sevilla and the Complutense University of Madrid. He was awarded a PhD in 1973 for research on the heredity in the fruit fly Drosophila supervised by Antonio Garcia-Bellido.
Career and research
As of 2017[update], his research focuses on cell competition, especially in relation to apoptosis and carcinogenesis. His lab also does experimental analysis of regeneration in the imaginal discs.
Morata has been involved in several major discoveries, including the discovery of developmental compartments, the phenomenon of cell competition, the connection between genes and compartments, the elucidation of the structure of the Hox gene complex, and the discovery of mitogenic signalling by apoptotic cells. He worked for several years in the United Kingdom, doing postdoctoral research at the Laboratory of Molecular Biology (LMB) of the Medical Research Council (MRC) at the University of Cambridge with Peter Lawrence.
Awards and honours
He has been awarded numerous honorary doctorates and prizes, including the Spanish National Prize for Research in Biology (2002), the Mexico Prize for Science and Technology (2004) and the Prince of Asturias Prize for Science and Technology (2007). He was elected a Foreign Member of the Royal Society (ForMemRS) in 2017. In 2018, he was elected a foreign associate of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences.
- Morata, Ginés (2006). "Ginés Morata". Current Biology. 16 (23): R976–R977. doi:10.1016/j.cub.2006.10.047. ISSN 0960-9822. PMID 17195314.
- Morata, G.; Lawrence, P. A. (1975). "Control of compartment development by the engrailed gene in Drosophila". Nature. 255 (5510): 614–617. doi:10.1038/255614a0. ISSN 0028-0836.
- Anon (2017). "Professor Ginés Morata ForMemRS". royalsociety.org. London: Royal Society. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from the royalsociety.org website where:
“All text published under the heading 'Biography' on Fellow profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.” --"Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies". Archived from the original on 2016-11-11. Retrieved 2016-03-09.
- Ginés Morata publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- Morata, Ginés; Struhl, Gary (2014). "Developmental biology: Tethered wings". Nature. 505 (7482): 162–163. doi:10.1038/nature12848. ISSN 1476-4687. PMID 24390347.
- Morata Pérez, Ginés (1973). Herencia celular de la determinación en Drosophila. proquest.com (PhD thesis). Universidad Complutense de Madrid. OCLC 911990833.
- Ballesteros-Arias, L.; Saavedra, V.; Morata, G. (2014). "Cell competition may function either as tumour-suppressing or as tumour-stimulating factor in Drosophila". Oncogene. 33 (35): 4377–4384. doi:10.1038/onc.2013.407. ISSN 1476-5594. PMID 24096487.
- Morata, Ginés; Ballesteros-Arias, Luna (2015). "Cell competition, apoptosis and tumour development". The International Journal of Developmental Biology. 59 (1–3): 79–86. doi:10.1387/ijdb.150081gm. ISSN 1696-3547. PMID 26374529.
- Calleja, Manuel; Morata, Ginés; Casanova, Jordi (2016). "Tumorigenic Properties of Drosophila Epithelial Cells Mutant for lethal giant larvae". Developmental Dynamics. 245 (8): 834–843. doi:10.1002/dvdy.24420. ISSN 1097-0177. PMID 27239786.
- Morata, Ginés; Herrera, Salvador C. (2013). "Eiger triggers death from afar". eLife. 2: e01388. doi:10.7554/eLife.01388. ISSN 2050-084X. PMC 3780540. PMID 24069529.
- Herrera, Salvador C.; Martín, Raquel; Morata, Ginés (2013). "Tissue homeostasis in the wing disc of Drosophila melanogaster: immediate response to massive damage during development". PLOS Genetics. 9 (4): e1003446. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1003446. ISSN 1553-7404. PMC 3636033. PMID 23633961.
- Herrera, Salvador C.; Morata, Ginés (2014). "Transgressions of compartment boundaries and cell reprogramming during regeneration in Drosophila". eLife. 3: e01831. doi:10.7554/eLife.01831. ISSN 2050-084X. PMC 3989595. PMID 24755288.