Chris Bishop in 2015
Christopher Michael Bishop
7 April 1959
|Known for||Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning (PRML) book|
|Thesis||The semi-classical technique in field theory: some applications (1983)|
Christopher Michael Bishop (born 7 April 1959)  is the Laboratory Director at Microsoft Research Cambridge, Professor of Computer Science at the University of Edinburgh and a Fellow of Darwin College, Cambridge.
Bishop obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree in Physics from St Catherine's College, Oxford, and a PhD in Theoretical Physics from the University of Edinburgh, with a thesis on quantum field theory supervised by David Wallace and Peter Higgs.
Research and career
Awards and honours
Bishop was awarded the Tam Dalyell prize in 2009 and the Rooke Medal from the Royal Academy of Engineering in 2011. He gave the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures in 2008 and the Turing Lecture in 2010. Bishop was elected a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering (FREng) in 2004, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (FRSE) in 2007, and Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 2017.
- Anon (2015). "BISHOP, Prof. Christopher Michael". Who's Who. ukwhoswho.com (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.249776. (subscription or UK public library membership required) (subscription required)
- 2008 Royal Institution Christmas Lectures
- Christopher Bishop publications indexed by Google Scholar
- "Professor Christopher Bishop elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh". University of Edinburgh School of Informatics. Retrieved 8 September 2020.
- Bishop, Christopher Michael (1983). The semi-classical technique in field theory : some applications (PhD thesis). University of Edinburgh. hdl:1842/11984. OCLC 59284998. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.346542.
- "Mathematics Genealogy Project: Christopher M. Bishop". Retrieved 1 September 2020.
- Anon (2017). "Christopher Bishop". royalsociety.org. London: Royal Society.
- "Microsoft Research Cambridge".
- Bishop, Christopher Michael (1995). Neural Networks for Pattern Recognition. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780198538646.
- Tipping, Michael E.; Bishop, Christopher M. (1999). "Probabilistic Principal Component Analysis". Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B. 61 (3): 611–622. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.35.2022. doi:10.1111/1467-9868.00196. ISSN 1369-7412.
- Tam Dalyell Prize
- Royal Academy of Engineering, Rooke Medal
- "Royal Academy of Engineering". Retrieved 1 February 2018.
- "Professor Christopher M Bishop FREng FRSE, FRS - The Royal Society of Edinburgh". The Royal Society of Edinburgh. Retrieved 1 February 2018.