|Born||April 7, 1959|
Natural language processing
|Institutions||University of Oxford
Culham Centre for Fusion Energy
University of Edinburgh
|Alma mater||St Catherine's College, Oxford
University of Edinburgh
|Thesis||The semi-classical technique in field theory: some applications (1983)|
|Doctoral advisor||David Wallace
|Doctoral students||Neil Lawrence|
|Known for||Royal Institution Christmas Lectures (2008)|
|Notable awards||Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering (2004)
Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (2007)
Christopher "Chris" Michael Bishop (born 7 April 1959) FREng, FRSE, is a Distinguished Scientist at Microsoft Research Ltd in Cambridge where he leads the Machine Learning and Perception group. He also holds a Chair of Computer Science at the University of Edinburgh.
Bishop was educated at Earlham School in Norwich then went to study for a Bachelor of Arts degree in Physics at St Catherine's College, Oxford, graduating in 1980. He then went on to the University of Edinburgh for a PhD in Theoretical Physics supervised by Peter Higgs and David Wallace.
Bishop was a research scientist at the Culham Centre for Fusion Energy from 1983 to 1993 and a Professor of Computer Science at Aston University from 1993 to 1997. He has been a Professor at Edinburgh since 1997.
- "‘BISHOP, Prof. Christopher Michael’, Who's Who 2013, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2013; online edn, Oxford University Press".(subscription required)
- Christopher Bishop at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Lawrence, Neil (2001). Variational inference in probabilistic models (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge.
- "Christmas Lectures 2008 - Hi-tech Trek by Christopher Bishop".
- Bishop, Christohper (1983). The semi-classical technique in field theory: some applications (PhD thesis). University of Edinburgh.
- Bishop, Christopher (2006). Pattern recognition and machine learning. Berlin: Springer. ISBN 0-387-31073-8.
- Bishop, Christopher (1995). Neural networks for pattern recognition. Oxford: Clarendon Press. ISBN 0-19-853864-2.
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic Search
- Christopher Bishop's publications indexed by the DBLP Bibliography Server at the University of Trier
- Tipping, M. E.; Bishop, C. M. (1999). "Probabilistic Principal Component Analysis" (PDF). Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series B (Statistical Methodology) 61 (3): 611. doi:10.1111/1467-9868.00196.
- Bishop, C. M.; Svensén, M.; Williams, C. K. I. (1998). "GTM: The Generative Topographic Mapping" (PDF). Neural Computation 10: 215. doi:10.1162/089976698300017953.
- Tipping, M. E.; Bishop, C. M. (1999). "Mixtures of Probabilistic Principal Component Analyzers" (PDF). Neural Computation 11 (2): 443–482. doi:10.1162/089976699300016728. PMID 9950739.