Levy in October 2013
|Born||Jane Colburn Levy
December 29, 1989
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Jaime Freitas (m. 2011; div. 2013)|
Jane Colburn Levy (born December 29, 1989) is an American actress. In early 2011, she made her television debut in the Showtime drama series Shameless playing Mandy Milkovich, and later began starring as Tessa Altman, a leading character on the ABC comedy series Suburgatory (2011-14).
In 2012, Levy has appeared in the films Fun Size and Nobody Walks. In 2013, she went to star in the supernatural horror film Evil Dead directed by Fede Álvarez. In 2016, she teamed up with Alvarez again and starred in the horror film Don't Breathe, a box-office hit grossing over $156 million.
Levy was born in Los Angeles, the daughter of Mary (née Tilbury), an artist, and Lester Levy, a musician. Her father is Jewish, while her mother is of English, Scottish, and Irish descent. She attended Sir Francis Drake High School in San Anselmo, California. While in school, she was on the hip hop dancing team and was captain of the soccer team, and appeared in community theatre productions of Annie and The Wizard of Oz. She describes herself at school as being a "floater", someone who got along with everyone. While at high school she visited England for five months. She attended Goucher College for a semester before transferring to the Stella Adler Studio of Acting in New York City where she graduated from the Conservatory.
Levy moved back to Los Angeles after two years in New York City. Levy was cast as Mandy Milkovich in a five-episode role on the Showtime series Shameless within a few weeks of returning to the West Coast. In March 2011, she landed the first lead role of her career on the sitcom Suburgatory, with Jeremy Sisto and Cheryl Hines. Since being in the show she has been compared to Emma Stone, due in part to her red hair. On May 9, 2014, Suburgatory was canceled by ABC after three seasons.
Levy was named by both TV Guide and TheInsider.com as one of the breakout stars of 2011, and was included on the top eleven list of funniest women compiled by AOL. Forbes named her as one of the handful of entertainment stars on their list of 30 under 30 who are "reinventing the world" (a list of the brightest stars of the future). Noting that Suburgatory was "one of the big hits of the new [TV] season" and that Levy would be seen in two upcoming films, Forbes called her "one to watch".
Levy appeared in two films in 2012, Fun Size and Nobody Walks; the former was the first feature from Gossip Girl creator Josh Schwartz. Released before Halloween, Fun Size co-starred Victoria Justice and comedian Chelsea Handler. While filming it, Levy was disappointed that she failed to meet co-star Johnny Knoxville, as he was on set for the one week of shooting that she was not. Levy later starred in the 2013 remake of the horror classic The Evil Dead as the drug-dependent Mia, replacing Lily Collins, who had originally been cast. The following year, she starred in two independent films, About Alex and Bang Bang Baby.  In 2015, Levy co-starred opposite Rene Russo in Frank and Cindy.
In 2016, Levy starred in her Evil Dead director Fede Alvarez's horror film Don't Breathe, the story of friends who break into the house of a wealthy blind man. A sleeper hit, Don't Breathe also received positive reviews from critics and grossed over $156 million. Also that year, she starred with Lucas Till in Monster Trucks, Paramount Animation's first live-action/CGI film, directed by Ice Age's Chris Wedge. The film was filmed in 2013.
In 2017, Levy has appeared in I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore directed by Macon Blair, and will star in zombie comedy Office Uprising. She played the female lead in the Pretenders, a romantic drama directed by James Franco. Also in 2017, Levy will appear in the Showtime series Twin Peaks.
On March 3, 2011, Levy married actor Jaime Freitas. According to court documents, the couple separated on October 31, 2011. In April 2013, Levy filed for divorce, citing irreconcilable differences.
|2012||Nobody Walks||Caroline||Ry Russo-Young|
|2012||Fun Size||April Martin-Danzinger-Ross||Josh Schwartz|
|2013||Evil Dead||Mia Allen||Fede Álvarez|
|2014||About Alex||Kate||Jesse Zwick|
|2014||Bang Bang Baby||Stepphy||Jeffrey St. Jules|
|2015||Nicholas & Hillary||Hillary||Elizabeth Orr||Short film|
|2015||Here Now||Mel||Gregg Araki||Short film|
|2015||Frank and Cindy||Kate||G.J. Echternkamp|
|2016||Don't Breathe||Rocky||Fede Álvarez|
|2016||Monster Trucks||Meredith||Chris Wedge||Was filmed in 2013|
|2017||I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore||Dez||Macon Blair|
|2017||Office Uprising||Samantha||Lin Oeding||In post-production|
|2018||Pretenders||Catherine||James Franco||In post-production|
|2011||Shameless||Mandy Milkovich||5 episodes Season 1|
|2011–14||Suburgatory||Tessa Altman||Main cast; 57 episodes|
|2014||Kroll Show||Madison||Episode: "Krolling Around with Nick Klown"|
|2016||Swedish Dicks||Taylor Slow / Ruth||Episode: "Episode 5"|
|2017||Twin Peaks||In post-production|
- "Jane Levy - Awards & Bio". Gold Derby. Retrieved March 27, 2013.
- "It's Time for Jane Levy to Have Her Breakout Year". Retrieved February 5, 2017.
- Clehane, Diane (November 5, 2011). "Hipster in Wonderland". New York Post. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Gerri Miller (August 24, 2016). "Hollywood Now: Adam Brody's New Series, Jane Levy's Thriller and Gold-Medal Olympians Ervin & Ledecky". InterfaithFamily.com.
- "Tessa Altman played by Jane Levy". ABC. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- Marechel, A. J. (October 20, 2011). "Jane Levy: 21-year-old moves to 'Suburgatory'". Variety. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- Miller, Gerri (September 28, 2011). "Jeremy Sisto & Jane Levy: Conserving is all in the family". Mother Nature Network. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- Nededog, Jethro (September 28, 2011). "'Suburgatory' Star Jane Levy Isn't Afraid the Show Will Offend Suburbanites". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 1, 2011.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 9, 2011). "Jeremy Sisto To Star In ABC Comedy Pilot 'Suburgatory'". Deadline. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- Wightmann, Caroline (March 17, 2011). "Ana Gasteyer lands 'Suburgatory' role". Digital Spy. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- Nussbaum, Danielle. "Jane Levy on Her Breakout Role in Suburgatory". Teen Vogue. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "Breakout Stars of 2011". TV Guide. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "2011's Biggest Breakout Stars!: Jane Levy". TheInsider.com. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "Top 11 in '11: TV's Funniest Women". AOL TV. November 30, 2011. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "'Forbes' Names Stars Under 30 Who Are 'Reinventing the World'". East Idaho News. December 20, 2011. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- Noer, Michael (December 19, 2011). "The 30 Under 30". Forbes. Retrieved January 30, 2012.
- Pomerantz, Dorothy; Ozanian, Michael K.; Ewalt, David M. "30 Under 30: Entertainment". Forbes. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- Rothman, Michael (January 4, 2012). "An Interview with 'Suburgatory' Star Jane Levy". Hollywood.com. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- Barton, Steve (April 24, 2012). "Jane Levy Talks Evil Dead Remake". Dread Central. Retrieved April 24, 2012.
- Fleming, Mike (February 3, 2012). "Jane Levy Is New Star Of 'Evil Dead' Remake". Deadline. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- "About Alex". Retrieved February 5, 2017.
- "Bang Bang Baby". August 19, 2015. Retrieved February 5, 2017.
- Harvey, Dennis (February 25, 2016). "Film Review: 'Frank and Cindy'". Retrieved February 5, 2017.
- Collis, Clark (August 17, 2016). "Jane Levy was tormented for real while making horror-thriller Don't Breathe". Entertainment Weekly.
- "Don't Breathe (2016) - Box Office Mojo". Retrieved February 5, 2017.
- "Paramount Wants Lucas Till & Jane Levy in 'Monster Trucks' Toy Movie". firstshowing.net. February 19, 2014. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Lucas Till - Lucas Till and Jane Levy to star in Monster Trucks". contactmusic. April 29, 2014. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- "Evil Dead's Jane Levy Joins Steven C. Miller's Office Uprising - Dread Central". February 8, 2016. Retrieved February 5, 2017.
- Calvario, Liz. "James Franco to Direct 'The Pretenders' With Jane Levy - IndieWire". Retrieved February 5, 2017.
- Ausiello, Michael; Ausiello, Michael (April 25, 2016). "Twin Peaks Revival: Complete Cast List Revealed (and It's Bananas)". Retrieved February 5, 2017.
- Nessif, Brue (May 6, 2013). "Suburgatory's Jane Levy Files for Divorce from Husband After 7 Months". E! Online. Retrieved May 6, 2013.
- Monde, Chiderah (May 6, 2013). "'Suburgatory' actress Jane Levy files for divorce after secret marriage". New York Daily News. Retrieved May 5, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jane Levy.|