Hursh with the Mississippi Braves
|Atlanta Braves – No. 56|
October 2, 1991 |
|August 13, 2016, for the Atlanta Braves|
(through August 3, 2017)
|Earned run average||8.25|
High school and college
Hursh attended Trinity Christian Academy in Addison, Texas. After graduating, the Pittsburgh Pirates selected Hursh in the sixth round of the 2010 Major League Baseball (MLB) Draft. Hursh decided not to sign, instead enrolling at Oklahoma State University–Stillwater, to play college baseball for the Oklahoma State Cowboys baseball team. He underwent Tommy John surgery in his sophomore year. As a junior, Hursh pitched to a 6-5 win–loss record with a 2.79 earned run average (ERA) in 16 games started. He was named to the All-Big 12 Conference second team.
The Atlanta Braves selected Hursh with the 31st overall selection in the 2013 MLB Draft. Hursh signed with the Braves, receiving a $1.7 million signing bonus, and was assigned to the Rome Braves of the Class A South Atlantic League. With Rome, Hursh had a 0.67 ERA in 27 innings. Hursh began the 2014 season with the Mississippi Braves of the Class AA Southern League. Hursh spent the entire season there, making 26 starts and one relief appearance, with a 3.58 ERA. Hursh spent most of the 2015 season with Mississippi, appearing in 25 games. He was converted to a reliever in July and promoted to the Gwinnett Braves in August. He made 15 starts and ten relief appearances with a 5.14 ERA at the Double–A level. On August 12, 2016, Hursh was called up by the Braves. Six days later, he was optioned to Gwinnett.
Hursh began the 2017 season with Gwinnett and was called up on April 12.
- "Former TCA-Addison, Oklahoma State pitcher Jason Hursh selected by Atlanta Braves with 31st pick | Dallas Morning News". Highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com. June 7, 2013. Retrieved January 13, 2014.
- "Braves stock up on pitching with college arm Hursh | braves.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved January 13, 2014.
- "Braves sign top pick, hard-throwing Hursh headed to Rome". www.ajc.com. June 19, 2013. Retrieved January 13, 2014.
- Braves pitching prospect Hursh impressing in camp | FOX Sports
- Curtright, Guy (April 15, 2014). "Southern notes: Hursh hitting his spots: Braves' right-hander undaunted by jump to Double-A Mississippi". MiLB.com. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- Curtwright, Guy (August 6, 2016). "First-round pick Hursh joins G-Braves". Gwinnett Daily Post. Retrieved August 12, 2016.
- Cunningham, Michael (August 6, 2016). "Braves promote pitcher Hursh to Gwinnett". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved August 12, 2016.
- Bowman, Mark (August 12, 2016). "Braves promote Hursh, Morris to bolster bullpen". MLB.com. Retrieved August 12, 2016.
- Bowman, Mark (August 18, 2016). "Vizcaino activated, but won't be closer". MLB.com. Retrieved August 19, 2016.
- Bowman, Mark (April 12, 2017). "Roe to DL as Braves bullpen injuries pile up". MLB.com. Retrieved April 13, 2017.