Je sais pas
|"Je sais pas"|
|Single by Celine Dion|
|from the album D'eux|
|Released||10 July 1995|
|Celine Dion singles chronology|
"Je sais pas" (French: [jə sɛ pa]; lit. '"I Don't Know"') is a French-language song by Canadian singer Celine Dion, recorded for her French album, D'eux (1995). It was released as a single on 2 October 1995 in Francophone countries and in December 1995 in selected European countries. In Canada it was a radio-only release in July 1995. The song topped the charts in France, Belgium, and Quebec.
Background and release
The narrator of the song boasts that she is unafraid to face any number of tribulations and challenges of the body and spirit, but admits life without the one she loves just might be more than she could bear. Dion has stated that this is one of her favorites among her songs, because it reminds her of her feelings for husband René Angélil.
Two music videos were made for this song: a non-singing version and a performance (singing) one, both of which were directed by Gregg Masuak in 1995. These music videos can be found on Dion's DVD On ne change pas (2005). Edited versions of the non-singing video were also used for "Next Plane Out" and "Call the Man" singles (none of them were released in France).
An English version of this song, called "I Don't Know" was featured on Falling into You.
Live version of "Je sais pas" from Live à Paris was also released as a single, on 19 May 1997 in the Netherlands to promote that album.
The song was featured on Dion's greatest hits compilation On ne change pas. The live version was a part of two other albums: Live à Paris and Au cœur du stade; the former was also released as a single on 19 May 1997 in the Netherlands to promote the live album. Dion also performed it during the French concerts of her 2008-09 Taking Chances World Tour. The audio and footage of this performance was included in the French edition of Taking Chances World Tour: The Concert CD/DVD. In 2013, the song was performed for the Sans attendre Tour; the Quebec performance was included in the Céline une seule fois / Live 2013 CD/DVD. Dion also performed "Je sais pas" during her French concerts of her Live 2017 tour.
"Je sais pas" was a smash hit in France, where it topped the singles chart for seven weeks, selling 506,000 copies (should be certified platinum but it remains undercertified with silver award). On the 1995s year-end lists, it was number six on sales and number ten on airplay. It was also number 1 in Belgium Wallonia (for two weeks) and Quebec (four weeks). "Je sais pas" was certified Gold in Belgium. The 1995 studio version peaked at number 34 in the Netherlands. The 1997 live version from Live à Paris reached number 78.
Formats and track listings
Certifications and sales
*sales figures based on certification alone
|France||2 October 1995|
- French Top 100 singles of the 1990s
- List of number-one singles of 1995 (France)
- Ultratop 40 number-one hits of 1995
- Glatzer, Jenna (2005). Céline Dion: For Keeps. Andrews McMeel Publishing. ISBN 0-7407-5559-5.
- Celine Dion: Céline une seule fois / Live 2013 (2CD+DVD/Blu-ray) Archived 20 May 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- "French Industry Thriving Despite Grim Summer" (PDF). Billboard. p. 66. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- "Ultratop.be – Céline Dion – Je sais pas" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "Ultratop.be – Céline Dion – Je sais pas" (in French). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "Eurochart Hot 100 Singles" (PDF). Music & Media. 16 December 1995. p. 12. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- "Lescharts.com – Céline Dion – Je sais pas" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "Celine Dion - Je sais pas - Top 40" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40. Retrieved 7 October 2017.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Céline Dion – Je sais pas" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "Québec Info Musique: Céline Dion". Québec Info Musique. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Céline Dion – Je sais pas (Live) / J'attendais" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "Rapports annuels 1995" (in French). Ultratop. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "Rapports annuels 1995 - singles francophones" (in French). Ultratop. Retrieved 29 May 2016.
- "Music & Media 1995 in Review: Year End Sales Charts" (PDF). Music & Media. 23 December 1995. p. 14. Retrieved 2 May 2019.
- "Tops de l'année - Top Singles 1995" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved 9 December 2019.
- "Les Chansons des Années 90 Classées selon la Meilleure Place" (in French). InfoDisc. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "Les Chansons classées par Place" (in French). InfoDisc. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "Ultratop − Goud en Platina – singles 1995". Ultratop. Hung Medien. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- "Certifications Singles Argent - année 1995" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Archived from the original on 13 September 2012. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "Les Meilleures Ventes "Tout Temps" de 45 T. / Singles / Téléchargement" (in French). InfoDisc. Retrieved 9 October 2017.
- "Celine Dion – Je sais pas". Discogs. Retrieved 23 February 2017.