|This biographical article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Star at Warped Tour in Mansfield, Massachusetts, in 2009
|Born||Jeffrey Lynn Steininger
November 15, 1985
Orange County, California, U.S.
Jeffree Star (born Jeffrey Lynn Steininger on November 15, 1985) is an American singer-songwriter, make-up artist, fashion designer and model from Orange County, California. He started his music career on MySpace with over 25 million plays on his self-released music. After releasing two extended plays, Star released his debut album, Beauty Killer (2009), under Popsicle Records. Star is also known for his fashion line, Beauty Forever, and his transgressive, gender-bending appearance and persona.
Jeffree Star was born in Los Angeles County, California. His father died when Star was 6 years old; subsequently, he was raised solely by his mother, a model who frequently went on assignments. As a child, Star regularly began experimenting with his mother's makeup and convinced her to let him wear it to school when he was in junior high. He moved to Los Angeles following his graduation from high school, supporting himself with various makeup, modeling, and music jobs. He later recalled spending his time on weekends "using a fake ID to attend Hollywood clubs dressed in mini dresses and nine inch high heels where celebrities would contract [Star] for makeup work at their homes", or "hiring [Star] as a model." Star reports that his weekend socializing at clubs and the makeup advice he offered eventually led to his modeling career.
Star used popular social networking website MySpace to further both his music as well as fashion design career. Star also used MySpace for blogging about his life while making social commentary on "self-image and confidence", fame, beauty, and life. Star had built up a fan base on several websites but convinced many to join him on MySpace, giving his MySpace profile a large number of "friends" from the beginning. His MySpace photo shoots would frequently get over 50,000 comments when posted, and by November 2006, he was recognized as MySpace's most connected profile personality. Star also gained fame as one of the most popular unsigned artists with the daily rankings placing him in the top tier on MySpace.
Star's music career as an electronica and pop vocalist began when he befriended Peaches' drummer Samantha Maloney who encouraged him to make music. His first two solo tracks "We Want Cunt" and "Straight Boys" were co-written with Samantha Maloney and singer Jessicka from Scarling.. During the summer of 2007, Star was advertised as a part of the True Colors Tour 2007, which traveled through 15 cities in the United States and Canada. The tour, sponsored by the LGBT Logo channel, began on June 8, 2007 to coincide with Pride month.
In 2009, Star released his first studio LP Beauty Killer, which was described by allmusic reviewer Pemberton Roach as "a fun, no-frills dance-pop record" and "a harmlessly naughty guilty pleasure".
In 2014, Jeffree Star launched his own cosmetics brand called Jeffree Star Cosmetics.
In July 2016, Kat Von D took to her social media to disassociate herself from her long-time friend Jeffree Star, claiming he engages in “inappropriate behavior (including, promoting drug use, racism, and bullying). She also accused Star's make-up brand of not being 100 percent cruelty-free and vegan as he promotes, and said his commitment to vegan and cruelty-free products is steeped in monetary gains. Furthermore, she claims Star has not paid a graphic designer who allegedly designed the logo for Jeffree Star Cosmetics. Star vehemently denied all of the claims made against him, providing his own side of the stories Von D was saying and providing evidence against her claims.
|2007–2011||LA Ink||Himself||"Kat's in Love" (Season 1, episode 10)
"Tats for Japan" (Season 4, episode 16)
|2007||Spread Entertainment||Himself||Season 1, episode 11|
|2007–2008||Video on Trial||Himself||"Totally '80s Video on Trial" (Season 2, episode 20)
Archive; "Video on Trial: 100!" (Season 4, Episode 4)
|Year||Company and product||Notes||Ref.|
|2015||Jeffree Star Cosmetics||Commercial for Jeffree Star Cosmetics Velour Liquid Lipstick which features the song "Catwalk".|||
- Concert tours
- Jeffree Star Will Steal Your Man Tour (2007–2008)
- I'm So Fierce! Tour (2008)
- I'm Pregnant, Let's Party! Tour (2009)
- I'm Cold, Keep Me Warm...Bitch! Tour (2009; canceled)
- 2 DRUNK 2 FUCK Tour (2010)
- Lookin' Hot and Dangerous Tour (2010)
- The Fresh Meat Tour (2010–2011)
- The Scene is Dead Tour (with Blood on the Dancefloor) (2012)
- Cosmetics tour
- Extreme Beauty Tour (2014—ongoing)
- Immediato, Linda (May 9, 2007). "Jeffree Star – The fairest one of all". LA Weekly. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- "Jeffree Star – tickets, tour dates, news". Allgigs.co.uk. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- Bolter, Helen (November 29, 2007). "Let's Talk About C*NT! - Jeffree Star". Gigwise. Archived from the original on December 19, 2008. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- Haglund, David. "Tila Tequila, the first star of MySpace. - Slate Magazine". Slate.com. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "California Births, 1905–1995". Family Tree Legends. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- "LAist Interview: Jeffree Star". laist. March 10, 2008. Retrieved November 12, 2010.
- "SOME TRUTH FOR YOU...". Buzznet. Jeffree Star's Official Website.
- Star, Jeffree (July 20, 2007). "Jeffree Star's MySpace profile". MySpace. Archived from the original on September 11, 2007. Retrieved May 28, 2010.
- Emonds, Craig (April 2, 2007). "MySpace continues to expedite music careers". South End Newspaper. Retrieved July 21, 2007.[dead link]
- Weiner, Jonah (April 11, 2006). "Tila Tequila for President". Slate. Retrieved July 29, 2006.
- Naff, Lycia (June 23, 2007). "Britney to Join Cyndi Lauper's Tour for Surprise Show – Britney Spears". People.com. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Internet Archive Wayback Machine". Wayback.archive.org. September 30, 2007. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Beauty Killer". allmusic.com. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- Lecaro, Lina. "Which Flamboyant LA Underground Characters Are Infiltrating the Mainstream? And Which One is the Next Cross(dressing)over Star?". www.laweekly.com. LA Weekly. Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- "Deuce Nine Lives". sputnikmusic.com. Retrieved March 4, 2013.
- "Review:Millionaires Ft. Jeffree Star – Catch Me If You Can (Single)". Hit The Floor Magazine. April 4, 2011. Retrieved March 4, 2013.
- "Larry Tee Club Badd review". allmusic.com. Retrieved March 4, 2013.
- "Is Jeffree Star Cosmetics Vegan? Here's What Makeup Fans Should Know — PHOTOS".
- Star, Jeffree. "Boyfriend Q&A: Part 1".
- Star, Jeffree. "Boyfriend Q&A: Part 2".
- "Jeffree Star Cosmetics – Velour Liquid Lipstick commercial". Retrieved June 21, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jeffree Star.|
|Wikinews has related news: Von D from "LA Ink" TV series sets world record for tattooing|