|United States Ambassador to Cuba|
July 20, 2015 – July 7, 2017
|Preceded by||Philip W. Bonsal (1960) |
Daniel M. Braddock (Acting)
|Succeeded by||Scott Hamilton (Acting)|
|Chief of the U.S. Interests Section in Cuba|
August 2014 – July 20, 2015
|Preceded by||John Caulfield|
|Succeeded by||Position abolished|
|United States Ambassador to the United Nations for Special Political Affairs|
August 10, 2011 – August 2014
|Preceded by||David Dunn|
|Succeeded by||David Pressman|
|Born||1954 (age 66–67)|
|Alma mater||Georgetown University|
Jeffrey DeLaurentis (born 1954) is an American diplomat who served as the Chargé d'affaires ad interim of the Embassy of the United States, Havana from 2015 to 2017. DeLaurentis has ambassadorial rank in the State Department because his prior position at the UN was a US Senate-confirmed ambassadorial position. Cuba and the United States formally restored diplomatic relations on July 20, 2015, after having severed diplomatic ties in 1961 amid the Cold War.
Early life and education
DeLaurentis is a graduate of the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University and the School of International and Public Affairs at Columbia University. He also studied toward a doctorate in political science at Columbia's Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
DeLaurentis finished his 3-year cycle on July 7, 2017 and was replaced by Scott Hamilton.
- "Jeffrey De Laurentis - People - Department History - Office of the Historian". history.state.gov.
- Watson, Katy (July 20, 2015). "Jeffery DeLaurentis: The US State Department's 'Man in Havana'". BBC News. Archived from the original on March 11, 2016.
- Ojogho, Dennis O. (February 12, 2015). "7 Q's With Jeffrey DeLaurentis". Harvard Crimson.
- "Cuba and US formally restore diplomatic relations". BBC News. July 20, 2015. Archived from the original on July 20, 2015.
- US State Department, Ambassador Jeffrey DeLaurentis
- "Jennifer Marina Lee to Be Wed in June". January 14, 1982. Archived from the original on March 7, 2016.
- Toosi, Nahal (September 27, 2016). "Obama nominates ambassador to Cuba in long-shot move". politico.com. Politico. Retrieved September 27, 2016.
- "Obama Appoints Veteran Diplomat as Cuba Ambassador". VOA. September 27, 2016. Archived from the original on September 29, 2016.
- Torres, Nora Gamez (July 11, 2017). "U.S. names interim charge d'affaires at embassy in Havana". Miami Herald.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jeffrey DeLaurentis.|