Joe Chiccarelli, a native of Boston, Massachusetts is a music producer, mixer and engineer who has been active since the 1980s. He has produced albums by Stan Ridgway, Oingo Boingo, Sandra Bernhard, My Morning Jacket, Counting Crows, The Shins, Augie March, Manchester Orchestra, Minus the Bear, Boy & Bear, Kurt Elling, Saints Of Valory, and Big Talk. Other artists include Elton John, Rufus Wainright, U2, Beck, Etta James, Jamie Cullum, Al Stewart, Tori Amos, The Strokes, The Killers, Morrissey, Cafe Tacuba, Cage The Elephant, Julieta Venegas, Pink Martini, Christina Perri, Glenn Frey and Jason Mraz. He also engineered Frank Zappa's albums Sheik Yerbouti, Joe's Garage Acts I, II & III and Tinseltown Rebellion, and engineered the White Stripes 2007 album Icky Thump. He also engineered The Raconteurs "Consolers of The Lonely" for which he received his eighth Grammy award, for Best Engineered Album of 2008.
Chiccarelli got his first taste of the studio through a cousin who owned Boston's Fleetwood Studio. He also worked as an engineer at Music Designers Recording Studio in Boston. Chiccarelli moved west in the late '70s where he scored an assistant engineer gig at L.A.'s Cherokee Studios. He got his career break engineering Frank Zappa's album Sheik Yerbouti (1979). In an interview with HitQuarters, Chiccarelli said: "[Zappa's] engineer couldn’t make the session and so he decided to take a chance on me. I’m so thankful ever since that day because he gave me a career."
He is credited with discovering singer Tori Amos and signing her first band, Y Kant Tori Read, to a label deal. However, Chiccarelli refuted this in an interview with HitQuarters saying, "That’s a myth. Tori was already signed to Atlantic Records as a solo artist when I got involved." In 1998, he mixed the Latin album Un Tributo (a José José), a tribute to José José.
Chiccarelli produced Minus the Bear's album Omni, released May 4, 2010. He produced four tracks on The Strokes' fourth album, "Angles". He also produced the Double Platinum debut album from Australian group Boy & Bear. The band received Five ARIA awards for the album. He also engineered and mixed track's on Morrissey's "Swords" album
In 2011, Chiccarelli produced Jason Mraz's fourth album "Love Is A Four Letter Word", released April 17, 2012 and Alanis Morissette's upcoming "Havoc and Bright Lights" as well as upcoming album "Songs of Patience" for Alberta Cross. In 2012 He Produced a Gold Album "Departures"for Australian artist Bernard Fanning as well as tracks for Dwight Yoakum. His 2013 album projects include Divine Fits, Hellogoodbye, Saints of Valory, Plain White T's, Need To Breathe, The Madden Brothers, and Oxbow. In 2014 he has produced Morrissey's latest album, "World Peace is None of Your Business" as well as five songs on Spoon's "They Want My Soul" album. Tracks with The Rocketboys, Ivan & Alyosha, JEFF the Brotherhood and Victorian Halls. In 2015 he produced a duets album for Doug Seegers and Jill Johnson becoming a Platinum Number One album in Sweden. Upcoming album releases in 2016 include new albums from Oxbow, Buffalo Sunn, Cherry Glazerr, Night Riots,Broken Social Scene and SPEAK.
- Doug Seegers* (Universal) - Produce/Mix
- Bleached* (Secretly Canadian) - Produce/Record
- Milow* (Universal) - Produce/Record
- The Arkells* (Universal) - Produce/Record
- The Augustines* (Universal) - Produce/Mix
- The Front Bottoms (Atlantic) - Produce/Mix
- Jeff The Brotherhood (Warner Bros.) - Produce/Record
- Ivan & Alyosha (Dualtone) - Produce/Mix
- On An On* (RollCall) - Produce/Mix
- Victorian Halls* (Victory) - Mix
- Spoon (Loma Vista/Universal) - Produce/Record
- Real Estate "Talking Backwards" (Domino) - Mix
- NeedToBreathe (Atlantic) -Produce/Record
- Saints of Valory (Atlantic)-Produce/Record
- Morrissey (Harvest/Capitol)- Produce/Mix
- The Madden Brothers (Capitol) - Produce/Mix
- HelloGoodbye (OldFriends)-Produce/Mix
- Saints of Valory (Atlantic) - Produce/Record
- Divine Fits (Merge) - Produce/Record
- Russian Red (Sony) - Produce/Record
- Keaton Henson (Sony UK)-Produce/Mix
- Cafe Tacuba(Universal) -Co-Produce/Mix
- Dropkick Murphys(Born & Bred) -Mix
- Alanis Morissette(Collective Sounds) – Produce/Mix
- Eleni Mandell (Yep Roc) - Produced/Mix
- Christina Perri (Atlantic) – Produce/Record
- Alberta Cross (Ark) – Produce/Record
- Boy & Bear (Universal) – Produce/Mix
- Tiziano Ferro (EMI Italy) - Record
- Jason Mraz (Atlantic) - Produce/Record
- Dwight Yoakum (Warner) – Co-produce/Record
- The Strokes (RCA) - Produce/Record
- Young The Giant (Roadrunner) - Produce/Record/Mix
- Juan Campodonicoare (Universal Latin) - Record
- Ilse DeLange (Universal Holland) - Record
- Eleni Mandell (YepRoc) - Produce/Record/Mix
- Rachel Yamagata (Warner) - Produce/Record/Mix
- Big Talk (Anti) - Produce/Record/Mix
- The Killers Xmas single (Island) - Co-Produce
- Manchester Orchestra (Columbia) - Mix
- Adam Stephens (Saddle Creek) - Produce/Record/Mix
- Middle Class Rut (Bright Antenna) – Mix
- Ely Guera (Homey) - Mix
- Minus the Bear (Dangerbird) - Produce/Record/Mix
- Gin Wigmore (Universal) – Record/Mix
- Cory Chisel (RCA) – Produce/Record/Mix
- Dredg (Universal Germany) – Mix
- Camera Can’t Lie (Atlantic) - Record
- Ponderosa (New West) – Produce/Record
- Sondre Lerche (Rounder) – Mix
- Mika (Universal) - Record
- Georgia (Atlantic)- Engineered
- Grace Potter & The Nocturnals (Holywood)- Engineered
- Poco - Under the Gun - Engineer/Mix/Record
- No Nukes - Engineer/Mix/Record
- Frank Zappa - Tinseltown Rebellion - Engineer
- Frank Zappa - Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar - Engineer/Mix/Record
- Frank Zappa - Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar Some More - Engineer/Mix/Record
- Oingo Boingo - Only a Lad - Produce/Engineer
- Juice Newton - Juice - Engineer/Record
- Del Shannon - Drop Down and Get Me - Engineer/Mix
- Robert Williams - Buy My Record EP - Producer
- Poco - Blue and Gray - Engineer
- Red Rider - As Far as Siam - Engineer/Mix/Record
- Willie Phoenix - Willie Phoenix - Produce/Engineer
- Juice Newton - Quiet Lies - Engineer/Record
- Oingo Boingo - Nothing to Fear - Producer/Engineer/Recording
- Fast Times at Ridgemont High - Producer
- Red Rider - Neruda - Engineer/Record
- Toronto - Girls Night Out - Mixing
- Juice Newton - Dirty Looks - Mixing
- Ray Manzarek - Carmina Burana - Mixing/Mixing Engineer
- Frank Zappa - Baby Snakes - Mixing
- Glenn Frey - The Allnighter - Mixing
- Van Stephenson - Righteous Anger - Engineer/Mixing/Record
- Carla Olson / The Textones - Midnight Mission - Engineer/Mixing
- Romeo Void - Instincts - Mixing
- Poco - Inamorata - Producer/Engineer
- Bangles - All Over the Place - Mixing
- Vision Quest (Original Soundtrack) - Engineer/Mixing/Record
- Pat Benatar - Seven the Hard Way - Producer/Engineer
- Vince DiCola - Rocky IV (soundtrack) - Producer, Engineer
- Lone Justice - Lone Justice - Engineer/Overdub Engineer/Recording
- Taxxi - Expose - Engineer
- Todd Sharp - Who Am I? - Mixing
- Agent Orange - This Is the Voice - Mixing
- Lover Speaks - The Lover Speaks - Engineer/Mixing/Record
- Stan Ridgway - The Big Heat - Producer/Engineer/Mixing
- Lone Justice - Shelter - Engineer/Mixing/Associate Producer
- Tonio K. - Romeo Unchained - Engineer
- Juice Newton - Old Flame - Engineer/Recording
- Robert Tepper - No Easy Way Out - Producer
- George Thorogood / George Thorogood & the Destroyers - Nadine - Engineer/Mixing/Record
- Bob Geldof - Deep in the Heart of Nowhere - Engineer/Mixing/Recording
- Cobra - Producer
- Julie Brown - Trapped in the Body of a White Girl - Producer
- Alison Moyet - Raindancing - Engineer/Recording
- Jellybean - Just Visiting This Planet - Engineer/Recording
- Breakfast Club - Breakfast Club - Engineer
- The Dream Syndicate - 50 in a 25 Zone - Mixing
- Y Kant Tori Read - Y Kant Tori Read - Producer/Engineer
- Tom Cochrane / Tom Cochrane & Red Rider - Victory Day - Mixing
- Joan Baez - Recently - Engineer/Mixing
- Al Stewart - Last Days of the Century - Producer
- Treat Her Right - Tied to the Tracks - Mixing
- Joan Baez - Speaking of Dreams - Mixing
- Stan Ridgway - Mosquitos - Producer
- James Horner - Field of Dreams - Mixing
- Oingo Boingo - Best of Oingo Boingo: Skeletons in the Closet - Producer
- Luba - All of Nothing - Producer
- Robert Tepper - Modern Madness - Producer
- George Thorogood / George Thorogood & the Destroyers - Better Than The Rest - Engineer/Mixing/Record
- Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage: Act 1, 2 & 3 - Engineer/Mixing/Record
- Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage: Act I - Engineer/Mixing/Record
- Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage: Acts II & III - Engineer/Mixing/Record
- Hugh Cornwell - Nosferatu - Engineer/Mixing/Record
- Frank Zappa - Sheik yerbouti - Engineer/Remixing/Overdubing
- Stephen Bishop - Bish - Assistant/Engineer
- The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Dirt Band - Engineer/Mixing/Record
- Journey - Infinity - Engineer/Record
- Poco - Legend - Engineer/Mixing
- Allen Toussaint - Motion - Assistant/Engineer
- Bee Gees - [[Saturday Night Fever [original soundtrack]]] - Engineer/Record
- Divine Fits - Ain't That The Way - Engineer/Producer
- On an On - And The Wave Has Two Sides - Producer/Engineer/Mixing
- Jafar Thorne - Dark Matter - Recording Supervision/Producer
- Bernard Fanning - Departures - Mixing/Producer
- Congo Norvell - Dope, The Lies, The Vaseline - Producer/Engineer/Mixing
- Stan Ridgway - Fly On The Wall: Music and Commentary - Production
- Victorian Halls - Hyperalgesia - Mixing
- José José - Un Tributo, Vol. 1 - Mixing
- LaMarca - LaMarca - Production
- The Front Bottoms - Laugh Till I Cry - Mixing/Production
- Shannon Bryant - Light - Mixing
- Saints of Valory - Neon Eyes - Engineer/Producer
- Name in Vain - Persecuted - Additional Personnel
- Plain White T's - Should've Gone Back To Bed - Engineer/Produce
- The Front Bottoms - Summer Shandy - Mixing/Production
- [[Ultimate Worship [Word]]] - Production
- 2003 Best Latin Rock/Alt Album Café Tacuba “Cuatro Caminos”
- 2007 Alternative Album The White Stripes "Icky Thump"
- 2009 Best Engineered Album Non-Classical - The Raconteurs "Consolers of the Lonely"
Latin Grammy Awards
- 2000 Best Rock Album Cafe Tacuba “Reves”
- 2001 Best Rock Solo Vocal Album Juanes “Fijate Bien”
- 2003 Best Rock Solo Album Juanes “Un Dia Normal”
- 2003 Album of The Year Juanes “Un Dia Normal”
- 2004 Best Alternative Album Café Tacuba “Cuatro Caminos"
- 2010 Best Alternative Album Ely Guerra "Hombres Invisible"
- 2013 Best Instrumental Album Bajofondo "Presente"
- Best Alternative Album – The White Stripes “Icky Thump” (Grammy winner)
- Best Alternative Album – The Shins “Wincing The Night Away”
- Best Jazz Vocal Album – Kurt Elling “Nightmoves”
- Best Engineered Album Non-Classical - The Raconteurs "Consolers of the Lonely"
- Best Engineered Album Non-Classical - Cafe Tacuba "Reves YoSoy"
- Best Engineered Album Non-Classical - Jason Mraz "Love is a Four Letter Word"
- Best Rock Album - The Raconteurs "Consolers of the Lonely"
- Best Alternative Album - My Morning Jacket's "Evil Urges"
- Producer of The Year" 2007- The Shins, Kurt Elling, Oxbow
- "Joe Chiccarelli Bio". ArtistDirect.com. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- "Interview with Joe Chiccarelli". HitQuarters. 14 June 2010. Retrieved Aug 19, 2010.
- Rogers, Kalen (1994). Tori Amos: all these years : the authorized illustrated biography. Omnibus Press. p. 34. ISBN 978-0-7119-4827-3. Retrieved 1 August 2010.
- "Minus the Bear's New LP OMNI Out May 4th". Dangerbird. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- "Animal Magnetism". Time Off Magazine. 3 August 2011. Retrieved Aug 4, 2011.
- "Jason Mraz new album Produced by Joe Chiccarelli". Next Wave Management. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- "Alanis Morissette's New Album produced by Joe Chiccarelli". Next Wave Management. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- "About Alberta Cross". Archived from the original on August 29, 2013. Retrieved 2 June 2012.