MTV Unplugged (Juanes album)
|Juanes: MTV Unplugged|
|Live album by Juanes|
|Released||May 28, 2012|
|Recorded||February 1, 2012 at the New World Symphony Center, Miami Beach, Florida|
|Label||Universal Music Latino|
|Producer||Juan Esteban Aristizábal, Juan Luis Guerra|
|Juanes video chronology|
|Singles from MTV Unplugged|
Juanes: MTV Unplugged is the third live album of Colombian singer Juanes. It was recorded before a live audience at the New World Symphony Center in Miami Beach, Florida, on February 1, 2012 and was released by Universal Music Latino on May 29, 2012. The album includes featured performances by the Spanish composer Joaquín Sabina and the Brazilian singer Paula Fernandes. The album features rearranged takes on Juanes' hit songs like "Me Enamora", La Camisa Negra and "A Dios le Pido". The first single of the live album was released on March 5, 2012 called La Señal, which became a hit in Latin America. The second single was "Me Enamora", with new instrumental arrangements, and was released two days after of the album's release. The album featured three new songs, one of which was a collaboration with Joaquín Sabina. The album debuted at number one on the Billboard Top Latin Albums Chart and won the 2012 Latin Grammy for Album of the Year. This was the third time he won Album of the Year at the Latin Grammys.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Following the release of his previous album, P.A.R.C.E. (2010), Juanes embarked on a tour to promote the album. However, the tour was canceled in the United States on May 2011 following the separation with his former manager Fernán Martínez, who labeled his last album a commercial failure, and the desire to spend time with his family. Martínez also affirmed that Juanes was experiencing depression and personal problems and would retire for a few years which Juanes's wife denied. On December 2011, Juanes announced that he would record a live album as part of the MTV Unplugged series. He stated the months he spent with his family was "a time of importance to strengthen my inner reflection and to come back with the desire and love I've always had to music."
Juanes MTV Unplugged was recorded was on 1 February 2012 at the New World Center in Miami, Florida. Juanes worked as producer with Dominican musician Juan Luis Guerra with the discussion of collaborating on an album together began several months. Previously, the two performed on the duet song "La Calle" on Juan Luis Guerra's studio album A Son de Guerra (2010).
Later, on December 2011, the Colombian singer announced that he would record a new edition of MTV Unplugged that would be produced by Juan Luis Guerra and released in February 2012. On February 1, 2012, Juanes recorded at New World Symphony Center, Miami, FL, accompanied with 16 musicians, including guitarists, pianists and trumpeters, as well as a choir of 32 people to perform the previously released song "Odio por Amor". On the show, the singer performed 14 songs, three of which were new exclusively for the MTV Unplugged; "Todo En Mi Vida Eres Tú", "La Señal" and "Azul Sabina", the last with the participation of the Spanish musician Joaquin Sabina. The Brazilian singer Paula Fernandes also accompanied him on the song "Hoy Me Voy", which was a bilingual version in both Portuguese and Spanish. MTV Unplugged was directed by Ivan Dudynsky.
Many music critics wrote about the live album. David Jeffries of Allmusic praised the work the people sing all the songs all the time. Jeffries said "Tr3s presents Juanes: MTV Unplugged" is an uplifting celebration of the work of a Colombian artist, who also offers a rare combination, spectacular and organic.". Larry Rohter of New York Times wrote that for the Hispanic market, this is a true meeting of titans, and a generational thing with mass appeal: "Juan Luis Guerra knows how to get people dancing with beautiful melodies but also writes complex lyrics. Juanes is the same proposition a generation later, more from a rock world, but with deep lyrics and great craftsmanship. And then Sabina is a generation ahead of Juan Luis, a bohemian artist who has been challenging the status quo since the ’70s."
Carlos Quintana of About.com said that there is much to talk about the album, but nevertheless, the most important about this work is the fact where his career is divided in two parts. In fact, "Juanes MTV Unplugged" show us a solid work under a musical path that this famous Latin pop star wants to continue. Being released the second month of the year, Quintana considered it as the best Latin album of the 2012. In the review highlighted two tracks, the first, "Azul Sabina". he said that this song open an exploration field and reflect the wish of Juanes for explore other rhythms, "If this kind of stuff is what Juanes is planning to produce in the future, I am definitely looking forward to the next album." The second "La Señal" he said that is the song with the most meaning of the album. This song show signallws that he needed for go ahead. Due to this, this single showed the feeling and soul that he put into his music, something that characterizes. Mauro Ferreira of Notas Musicais, criticized the new songs calling the praised the featurings of Paula Fernandes and Joaquin Sabina and the presence of the singer on stage. To finish the professional review, saying: Closure impressive for this MTV Unplugged giving (any) time to Juanes to revitalize his work.
The album and was certified gold in the U.S., Mexico, Spain and Venezuela and 12 times platinum in Colombia, where Juanes was recognized with the media during a press conference held in the capital of that country. "Juanes MTV Unplugged" will turn into the hard to reach in less time sales record this also becomes the best-selling music DVD in history in Colombia.
A few days after the confirmation of his then-upcoming appearance on MTV Unplugged, the TV channel released a contest for US residents called "MTV Demo: Concurso Unplug con Juanes" (English: Unplug contest with Juanes). The contest challenging the contestants to record a video of themselves singing a Juanes song and the winner had a possibility to attend the concert with the singer.
- "La Señal" was released as the first official single and had its premiere on radio and digital download on March 5, 2012. The single topped the most of Latin countries like Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela and also topped US Latin Song Charts.
- "Me Enamora", was re-released on May 14, 2012 to digital as the second single. This new version with new instrumental arrangements.
Latin Grammy Awards
At the 13th Annual Latin Grammy Awards in 2012, the album received two awards:
Lo Nuestro Awards
This track listing adapted from the liner notes  and the deluxe edition is the same track list but on video version.
|3.||"Nada Valgo Sin Tu Amor"||Juanes||3:44|
|4.||"Es Por Tí"||Juanes||4:55|
|5.||"Todo en Mi Vida Eres Tú"||Juanes; Juan Luis Guerra||3:47|
|6.||"A Dios le Pido"||Juanes||3:41|
|7.||"Hoy Me Voy" (featuring Paula Fernandes)||Juanes||4:19|
|8.||"Volverte a Ver"||Juanes||4:29|
|9.||"La Camisa Negra"||Juanes||3:45|
|10.||"Azul Sabina" (featuring Joaquín Sabina)||Juanes; Joaquín Sabina||3:46|
|11.||"Para Tu Amor"||Juanes||3:54|
|12.||"La Señal"||Juanes; Juan Luis Guerra||3:34|
|14.||"Odio por Amor"||Juanes||5:08|
|iTunes Store (Deluxe edition) (Videos) |
|17.||"Nada Valgo Sin Tu Amor"||Juanes|
|18.||"Es Por Tí"||Juanes|
|19.||"Todo en Mi Vida Eres Tú"||Juanes|
|20.||"A Dios le Pido"||Juanes|
|21.||"Hoy Me Voy" (featuring Paula Fernandes)||Juanes|
|22.||"Volverte a Ver"||Juanes|
|23.||"La Camisa Negra"||Juanes|
|24.||"Azul Sabina" (featuring Joaquín Sabina)|
|25.||"Para Tu Amor"|
|28.||"Odio por Amor"||Juanes|
|29.||"Fotografía" (featuring Emanuela Bellezza (Audio Only))||Juanes|
|Mexican Albums (Top 100 Mexico)||1|
|Spanish Albums (PROMUSICAE)||3|
|US Billboard 200||52|
|US Top Latin Albums (Billboard)||1|
|US Latin Pop Albums (Billboard)||1|
|Colombia (ASINCOL)||12× Platinum||120,000|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold (Latin)||50,000|
- Juanes — Tr3s Presents Juanes MTV Unplugged (CD liner notes).Universal Music Latino. 2012.
- "Juanes Mesmerizes Upon The MTV Unplugged Stage". Universal Music Group. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- "Chart Highlights: Kelly Clarkson's 'Stronger' Tops Pop Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Último disco de Juanes P.A.R.C.E, según ex mánager, fue un fracaso". UniversoCanario.com (in Spanish). Universo Canario Comunicaciones, S.L. 26 September 2011. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Juanes se separa de su mánager y cancela gira por Estados Unidos". E! (in Spanish). NBCUniversal Cable. 24 May 2011. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Ex mánager de Juanes afirma que retiro es por 3 ó 4 años". People en Español (in Spanish). Time Inc. 25 May 2011. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- Morán, Bárbara (9 July 2011). "La esposa de Juanes niega que su esposo se retira de la música". Redacción Starmedia (in Spanish). Starmedia. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Juanes hará disco MTV Unplugged". Univision (in Spanish). Univision Communications. 6 December 2011. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Juanes: Siento que he renacido, ahora soy yo". NetJoven (in Spanish). Grupo Emprendedor de Comunicaciones S.A.C. 17 December 2011. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
‘Yo tomé la decisión (de tomar un receso) porque no me sentía cómodo, necesitaba estar en la casa y con mis hijos; necesitaba parar, estaba lejos del centro de lo que soy, fue un momento de reflexión importante para fortalecer mi interior y volver con las ganas y el amor que siempre le he tenido a la música’ comentó el intérprete de ‘La Paga’.
- "Juanes graba disco MTV Unplugged". People en Español (in Spanish). Time Inc. 2 February 2012. Retrieved 5 February 2014.
- Cobo, Leila (6 December 2011). "Juanes to Tape 'MTV Unplugged,' Juan Luis Guerra as Musical Director". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 5 February 2014.
- "A Son de Guerra – Juan Luis Guerra: Overview". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 5 February 2014.
- Jeffries, David (2012-05-29). "Tr3s Presents Juanes: MTV Unplugged >> Review". AllMusic (Rovi Corporation). Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- Rohter, Larry (2012-05-25). "Unplugged and Fully Recharged". New York Times (The New York Times Company). Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- Quintana, Carlos (2012-05-25). "Juanes - 'JUANES MTV Unplugged' CD Review". About.com. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- Ferreira, Mauro (2012-06-21). "Juanes ganha tempo com revisão acústica de obra já perto da exaustão". NotasMusicais (in Portuguese). Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- "MTV Unplugged Juanes is the #1 Album" (in Spanish).
- "Top 20 General". Monitor Latino. Archived from the original on 2012-04-26.
- "National Report - Top Nacional". National Report. 2012-06-27. Archived from the original on 2012-06-02.
- "Top 100". Record Report. 2012-06-16. Archived from the original on 2012-06-16.
- "Enamora (MTV Unplugged) - Single". iTunes. May 14, 2012. Retrieved June 28, 2012.
- "List of Nominees Premio Lo Nuestro Latin Music Award 2013" (PDF). Univision (Univision Communications). 2013. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- "iTunes - Tr3s Presents Juanes MTV Unplugged (Deluxe Edition)". Itunes.apple.com. 2012-05-29. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- "Mexicancharts.com – Juanes – Tr3s Presents Juanes MTV Unplugged". Hung Medien. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Juanes – Tr3s Presents Juanes MTV Unplugged". Hung Medien. Retrieved 10 June 2012.
- "Juanes – Chart history" Billboard 200 for Juanes. Retrieved 10 June 2012.
- "Juanes – Chart history" Billboard Top Latin Albums for Juanes. Retrieved 10 June 2012.
- "Juanes – Chart history" Billboard Latin Pop Albums for Juanes. Retrieved 10 June 2012.
- "Juanes recibe 12 Discos de Platino en Colombia por su MTV Unplugged". ElColombiano.com. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- "Juanes recibe Disco de Oro por su MTV Unplugged". starMedia.com. Retrieved 2012-06-25.
- "Juanes recibe Discos de Oro en España por su MTV Unplugged". Juanes.net. Retrieved 2012-06-05.
- "American certifications – Juanes – Juanes MTV Unplugged". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Type, then select Latin, then click SEARCH
- "Juanes llegó a Venezuela y recibió Disco de Oro". radiosantafe.com. Retrieved 2012-06-25.