John McCarthy (soccer)
|Date of birth||July 4, 1992|
|Place of birth||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|2010–2013||La Salle Explorers|
|2011–2012||Ocean City Nor'easters||22||(0)|
|2016–||→ Bethlehem Steel (loan)||14||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of October 16, 2017|
College and amateur
While at college, McCarthy also appeared for USL PDL clubs Ocean City Nor'easters in 2011 and 2012, and Reading United AC in 2013. He is La Salle's all-time leader among goalkeepers in saves (468), shutouts (28), and games played (75).
McCarthy signed his first professional deal with USL Pro club Rochester Rhinos on February 27, 2014. After the 2014 season, McCarthy was named the Rhinos' Rookie of the Year as he led the league with a 0.72 goals against average.
In 2015, McCarthy signed to his hometown club, Philadelphia Union. Originally signed as a third goalkeeper behind first round draft pick, Andre Blake, and designated player, Rais M'Bohli, McCarthy was given a starting role as a result of injury and poor form, respectively. He made his MLS debut as the starter for the Union on April 11, 2015 versus New York City FC. McCarthy was heralded for his performance which resulted in his first win in the top flight as well as the Union's first win of 2015 season. McCarthy started 8 league matches during the 2015 season, posting one shutout. He was played mostly during the Union's 2015 U.S. Open Cup run, earning wins in the first four rounds of competition (including two penalty shootouts) ultimately losing in the final. On July 6, 2017, McCarthy started in an away game against Sporting Kansas City which resulted in a 1-1 draw. McCarthy made five noteworthy saves in the game, including an excellent foot save on Latif Blessing in the 70th minute.
Bethlehem Steel FC
- United Soccer League Rookie of the Year: 2014
- United Soccer League Goalkeeper of the Year: 2014
- United Soccer League All-League First Team: 2014
- "Official Site of La Salle University Athletics".
- "John McCarthy – SoccerStats.us".
- "La Salle University Athletics – John McCarthy Inks Professional Contract With Rochester Rhinos Of USL". La Salle University.
- "Rhinos rookie McCarthy named USL PRO's Goalkeeper and Rookie of Year". The Tennessean. September 26, 2014. Retrieved October 30, 2016.
- "Union sign Philly native John McCarthy as 3rd GK; Andre Blake has knee surgery". philly.com. February 23, 2015. Retrieved October 30, 2016.
- "Philadelphia Union 2, New York City FC 1 | MLS Match Recap". MLSSoccer.com. April 11, 2015. Retrieved October 30, 2016.
|This biographical article related to an American soccer goalkeeper is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|