||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
17 May 1975
Doncaster, England, UK
|Known for||Surreal comedy, Satire, Music video|
|Web alias(es)||Weebl, Mr Weebl|
|Meme||Badger Badger Badger
2 September 2003
His movies are known for repetitive melodies and surreal dialogue; The majority feature a catchy tune with silly lyrics, which is paired with a looping flash animation. He does most of the voices in his animations himself, and several feature himself in live action, including "Haricots Verts", "Chutney", "Boogie", "CAMRA", "Stockmarket", "We Are Mature", "Tangerine" the Weebl and Bob episodes "DJ" and "Safety", the fourth On The Moon episode, and "Jazzmas". He has also worked with other animators on YouTube, such as Edd Gould in the video "Nuts [Weebl]".
Picking is a trained sound engineer and artist, and has also worked on 3D visual effects for the movie Resident Evil. In 2003, he made several advertisements for Anchor Butter in the style of his Weebl and Bob animations, but featuring cows. These were broadcast in the UK. The television program Totally Viral on UKTV G2, consisting of video clips and cartoons from the internet, has an animated title sequence and links made by Jonti. Jonti set up his own production company called Sumo Dojo, which he has since left to set up Weebl's Stuff Limited, also known as Weebl Ltd. Picking married Sarah Darling (a radio presenter on the station Xfm) on 31 March 2007. On 23 December 2008, Picking announced his wife's pregnancy on the official Weebl's Stuff forums. On 13 July 2009, Picking's wife gave birth to a baby girl.
In 2009, Picking produced several radio and television adverts based on the tune of the first "Magical Trevor" for the 118 24 7 service of Yell.com. It appeared on the ITV television channel, amongst others. It was voted 6th Most Irritating Ad of 2009 by Marketing Magazine. He is also an admitted fan of Wesley Willis and he used his music in the cartoon "Merry Christmas".
Weebl's Stuff is Weebl's personal website. Whilst initially starting with his own creations (Weebl and Bob was previously hosted on a different site before moving to Weebl's Stuff), it has since grown to incorporate numerous series and numerous staff. As well as providing the site with animations, usually at least twice a week, Weebl's Stuff also provides animation services to companies. Clients have included E4, Yellow Pages and Anchor.
Picking has produced several mini-albums, most of which feature extended versions of songs featured in his flash animations.
- Pure Yak Frenzy (produced with Rob Manuel from b3ta) (2003)
- Hands Over Pastry (6 April 2009)
- Yesterday's Lemon (26 October 2009)
- Magical Chalk Toilet (17 November 2010)
As of 2012 Picking has begun contributing to the YouTube comedy channel HuHa under the name of Jelly Penguin. They have produced several shorts, including Evil Guy (a parody of super-villains from comic books and Saturday morning cartoons), Beef House (a parody of the A-Team in which the protagonists are butchers) and BAD Advice (a parody of public information films from the 1970s and 1980s). As of 2014, no further works for HuHa are being produced, either by Picking or others.
In 2013, Picking teamed up with Queen guitarist and animal rights activist Brian May and actor Brian Blessed, along with a number of animal rights organisations including the RSPCA, to form "Team Badger", a coalition against the British Government's proposed badger cull. Picking, May and Blessed recorded a single, Save The Badger Badger Badger, a mashup of 2003's Badgers, and Queen's Flash, featuring vocals by Blessed. Picking also animated the music video, which parodied elements of the original "Badger" animation, as well as a scene from the 1980 film Flash Gordon, in which Blessed played Prince Vultan, and for which Queen provided the soundtrack. On 1 September 2013, Save The Badger Badger Badger charted at #79 on the UK Singles Chart, #39 on the UK iTunes chart and #1 on the iTunes Rock chart.
- Weebl's cartoons (discusses Magical Trevor, Kenya, Patrick Moore Plays the Xylophone, Breadfish, Chutney, Scampi, Strawberry Pancake, etc.)
- I'm married! – Weebl's Stuff. Weebls-stuff.com. Retrieved on 2012-01-03.
- "118 24 7 and Magical Trevor, what a team". Yell.com. Retrieved 2009-03-24.
- The most irritating ads of 2009. Marketingmagazine.co.uk (2010-01-12). Retrieved on 2012-01-03.
- Merry Christmas – Weebl's Stuff. Weebls-stuff.com. Retrieved on 2012-01-03.
- Weebls Stuff Store: Amazing Horse, Cat Face, Badger Toys, clothing and Accessories. .printshop.co.uk. Retrieved on 2012-01-03.
- BUY MY NEW ALBUM – Weebl's Stuff. Weebls-stuff.com. Retrieved on 2012-01-03.
- Dancey Times – Weebl's Stuff. Weebls-stuff.com. Retrieved on 2012-01-03.
- "Brian May's 'Save the Badger Badger Badger' song climbs iTunes chart". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- "Badger protest song by Brian May reaches charts". The Guardian. Retrieved 2 September 2013.