Somers Point Public Schools
|Somers Point Public Schools|
|121 W. New York Avenue
Somers Point, NJ 08244
|Grades||Pre-K to 8|
|Superintendent||Dr. Thomas Baruffi (interim)|
|Business administrator||Suzanne Keller|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||1,472 (as of 2014-15)|
|District Factor Group||CD|
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "CD", the sixth-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Students in public school for ninth through twelfth grades attend Mainland Regional High School, which also serves students from Linwood and Northfield. The high school is located in Linwood. For the 1997-98 school year, Mainland Regional High School was recognized by the United States Department of Education as a National Blue Ribbon School. As of the 2014-15 school year, the high school had an enrollment of 1,356 students and 119.6 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.3:1.
The district's Education Foundation has funded technology programs, mini-grants and the annual Stokes Trip, investing approximately $250,000 to schools since it was established in 1995.
2012 mold problem
On September 4, 2012, parents were notified about mold at Jordan Road School. After other district schools were examined, the district decided that school opening would be delayed by a week at all schools.
The Somers Point School District consists of three schools: Jordan Road School, constructed in 1966 with an addition in 1991, serves K-8; Dawes Avenue School, constructed in 1998, serves PreK-6; and New York Avenue School, constructed in 1914 with an addition in 1922 and a refurbishing project in 2005, which serves three half-day pre-kindergarten handicapped classes and houses the district's central offices.
- Elementary schools
- Dawes Avenue School with 394 students in grades Pre-K through sixth grade
- Doreen A. Lee - Principal
- Jordan Road Middle School with 547 students in Kindergarten through 8th grade
- Dr. Thomas Baruffi, Interim Superintendent
- Suzanne Keller, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- District information for Somers Point School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed November 30, 2014.
- Mainland Regional High School 2016 School Report Card, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed May 17, 2017. "Mainland is a comprehensive, four-year public high school with an enrollment of approximately 1,351 students serving the communities of Somers Point, Northfield and Linwood. Mainland is recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by the United States Department of Education."
- Blue Ribbon Schools Program: Schools Recognized 1982-1983 through 1999-2002 (PDF), United States Department of Education. Accessed May 29, 2016.
- School data for Mainland Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Foundation for Education, Somers Point School District. Accessed April 17, 2013.
- Staff. "Mold Delays Start of Somers Point School Year", NBC40, September 4, 2012. Accessed September 8, 2012. "And it wasn't just the Jordan Road School that was affected. As a precautionary measure, Somers Point also delayed the opening of, and investigated the New York Avenue School as well as the Dawes Avenue School."
- About, Somers Point Schools. Accessed May 22, 2017.
- School Data for the Somers Point Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- New Jersey School Directory for the Somers Point Public Schools, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- New York Avenue School, Somers Point Schools. Accessed May 22, 2017.
- District Contacts, Somers Point Public Schools. Accessed May 22, 2017.
- Dawes Avenue School, Somers Point Schools. Accessed May 22, 2017.
- Jordan Road Middle School, Somers Point Schools. Accessed May 22, 2017.
- New Jersey School Directory for Atlantic County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Somers Point Public Schools
- Somers Point Public Schools's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Somers Point Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics